Soft Bags?

cruzinaz

• Member Contributer

I'm going to do the Laughlin river run this year on the vfr, :thumbsup: have a tank bag but was thinking a bit more space would be a good thing. A buddy has cortech bags, only used them once but he didn't have any problems with them, I know the bags of choice for most here are the hard bags, but, I really don't want to make that investment, besides the vtx has all the junk on it if I need to haul a female that needs to take everything she owns. :goofy: (woops,may get flamed for that) +1.gif

Anyway, any opinions?, experiences, with soft bags??

• Member Contributer
I'm going to do the Laughlin river run this year on the vfr, :thumbsup: have a tank bag but was thinking a bit more space would be a good thing. A buddy has cortech bags, only used them once but he didn't have any problems with them, I know the bags of choice for most here are the hard bags, but, I really don't want to make that investment, besides the vtx has all the junk on it if I need to haul a female that needs to take everything she owns. :goofy: (woops,may get flamed for that) +1.gif

Anyway, any opinions?, experiences, with soft bags??

Sounds perfect for what you need. The Cortech seems much nicer than the JoeRocket bags I have.

I'm still grappling w/ the hard/softbag debate myself. If I get softies I will go w/ the Cortech Saddle Bags

I cant justify the cost of the hard bags but boy they sure look nice. Whatever you decide to do tell us what you think after you have used them.

• Member Contributer

My Nelson-Rigg bags work great. Used along with the NR tailbag, I can pack a week's worth of stuff...and they've been windtunnel tested to @ 135 with no movement. :thumbsup:

large.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have the Cortech saddle and tail bag combo. I used them for three trips last year. I find all the pockets handy and they fit well with my modifications. Plenty of room for a multiday trip. I also have crammed/strapped on some camping gear on my Sierra trip last year.

The Price is right and it is a good low cost/tight budget way to go. Another advantage is that when you let your bike fall over in the parking lot there are no scratches on the bags. :o

med_gallery_2144_2341_894306.jpg

Motopak. Good price and great people. Check ebay. You can often get them below the on line store price. These are the 60s and I am very happy with them.

gallery_3721_1985_4798.jpg

IMG_0581.JPG

• Member Contributer

+1. I had Motopak GTS-90 soft saddlebags before I sold them and bought some hard bags on eBay. I only used them twice, but they worked great. Never had any problems with the bags rubbing against my exhaust or any movement when driving at freeway speeds. Motopak

I had the nelson rigg setup shown above. It was a good product with great customer support. I burned the exhaust side bag and they sent a new one. The rainbags did blow off in a 40 mph constant crosswind, however, I did have setup so the rainbag couldn't get a good fit (overstuffed). A very good product as long as you accept the fact that they aren't waterproof (you can always wrap clothes in garbage bags).

I now have a giviwing rack w/ 2 e21s and a v46 topcase. The hardbags almost make a car obslete. A necessity for serious touring IMO. You'll never regret hardbags.

My Chase Harper Stealth saddlebags have served me well.

They're more petite than most other saddlebags, and they look pretty sporty and sleek.

• Member Contributer
My Chase Harper Stealth saddlebags have served me well.

They're more petite than most other saddlebags, and they look pretty sporty and sleek.

+1.gif

They look good on my bike as well.

• Member Contributer

Have used Cortech (real good bags, medium dollars)...Nelson Rigg (best for the lower dollar)...GIVI (best I've ever used, but pricey)...IMO............. :thumbsup:

Decisions, decisions...

I've been looking at soft bags and tailbags for months. I'd never get enough use out of the hard bags to justify their expense, but I'm doing at least two multi-day trips this year, so I need a set of soft bags, plus a tail bag for whatever won't fit in the saddlebags.

I'm leaning toward MotoPaks, but the Cortechs and Nelson Riggs look good, too. I saw some nice Fieldsheer bags online, but no one has ever mentioned them and I would rather go with a set I know has a good rep.

Thanks for the info and pix you guys have posted here so far. It's a big help to shoppers like me! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have Joe Rocket tank, back & saddle bags. They're indispensible. No extra bungees, etc. needed. The tank & back bag will keep me going for a week, unless I have large extra items like boots or something. One warning - the saddlebags did scratch up the bodywork, so I now fold a soft towel under 'em. Really easy to take off/put on.

• Member Contributer

gallery_8974_2060_303282.jpg

The highmount exhaust does not really lend itself for letting the Held softbags hang on either side. (bought these when I still had the LeMans).

Would apply gaffer tape on the bodywork 1st to begin with to prevent damage.

But as there are two velco straps between the bags that allows one to vary the distance between the bags, I could fit them quite high.

I've used RKA bags for years with great success; I think they're a little more "buttoned down" looking than some of the options.

This lightly used set might even be for sale along with a matching tankbag....p.m. for more info if you're interested.

gallery_5067_2785_21416.jpg

DSCN8912small.JPG

Looking at bags for my 06 as well !

It looks like the pipes stick out past the body work which means that ANY saddlebag is going to rest on them !

• Member Contributer
The highmount exhaust does not really lend itself for letting the softbags hang on either side.

I wound up fabbing a bracket out of aluminum to keep the bag off my high-mount 'Tune.

70098383.jpg

I saw some nice Fieldsheer bags online, but no one has ever mentioned them and I would rather go with a set I know has a good rep.

I have a Fieldsheer Eiffel tankbag which consists of a larger bottom bag and a smaller, removable upper bag. The zippers on both bags have come unstitched and the teeth don't mesh completely. I have not been impressed with FS quality so far. <_<

+1.gif+1.gif MOTOPAKS!!!! I have the GTS90's and love them. I also got the tri-tier magnetic tankbag and I have used them for over six months with no issues. Stable at 125mph. Pretty close to waterproof.......rode home in a downpour a few nights ago and everything was dry! I really like them and for the $$$ you can't go wrong. Customer service is very good too!

• Member Contributer

I have two Motopak tank bags (one for my laptop) and a set og GT-90 saddle bags. The right side bag got burned on the exhaust on my first trip withthem. sad.gif

And I don't have a high mount. :o I have covered the bottom of the burn with 4-5 pieces of foil tape.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, How was the play?" +1.gif

I saw some nice Fieldsheer bags online, but no one has ever mentioned them and I would rather go with a set I know has a good rep.

I have a Fieldsheer Eiffel tankbag which consists of a larger bottom bag and a smaller, removable upper bag. The zippers on both bags have come unstitched and the teeth don't mesh completely. I have not been impressed with FS quality so far. <_<

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have a set of saddle bags and tail bag bought at the races a few years ago.

No name on them, but nust make sure whatever you get is sturdy, and fits. These do, and I've been happy for $75.

Good luck finding that cheap a deal, but anyway, plus one on soft bags work fine. :thumbsup:

I have the cortech tank/tail/saddle bags. they work very nice and have passed my personal research in my open air wind tunnel tests.

I also use the Givi bags that seem very nice and secure. If you need to leave items on your bike and keep them secure you may try the Pac safe soft bags.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the cortech soft bags... pics in my gallery. 130 mph tested, rain tested, bug tested.

stay dry inside as long as you are moving due to how the flaps lay. 3 bag set was pretty cheap and clips together as a set and comes off the bike as one piece at night. 3 clips and its off.

also like the pockets and bungee net hook spots.

chrisgallery_8002_2073_453027.jpg

me about to leave for colorado I hadvno idea what i was getting into ;-)

• Member Contributer

Got a set of cortechs to see how they fit on my bike from a buddy, strap on the front of the bag, no problem, but where do you guys secure the rear strap? I was thinking extend it and tie it off on the rear peg mount? I assume all the bags are made about the same when it comes to mounting, or are they? btw, thanx for all the info, I thought this was gonna be an easy decision! +1.gif

I don't have a rear fender on it, and really don't want to put it back on, kinda fugly looking to me.

Archived