Weight Of Stock Vfr Wheels

Hobie1dog

OK I put this in the Tires section.......How much does the stock wheels weigh on VFR's? I have been searching around looking at the aftermarket wheels and how much they weigh.

Carrozzerria wheels are 7.8lbs front

13.4lbs rear

BST Carbon Fiber are 4.6 front

5.0 rear

• Member Contributer

Fill in the blanks:

3rd gen. front ______

3rd gen. rear ______

4th gen. front ______

4th gen. rear 12.0 lbs

5th/6th gen. front 10.0 lbs

5th/6th gen. rear 13.8 lbs

please specify with or without rotors for front wheel, thank you.

Guest 767fixer
Fill in the blanks:

3rd gen. front _i dont know_____

3rd gen. rear _i dont know_____

4th gen. front _i dont know_____

4th gen. rear 12.0 lbs

5th/6th gen. front _i dont know_____

5th/6th gen. rear _i dont know_____

I filled in the blanks but i don't see how that it helps :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Not sure about the exact weight on my '97 but the first time I pulled the wheels off and picked them up, I was amazed at how heavy they were. They felt like a couple of cinder blocks full of mud. Same with the stock exhaust. I thought maybe I had the optional solid steel muffler in my hands. D&D helped with the weight on the rear but I can't swing new wheels with a wife and two kids to worry about. I guess if I was that worried about wheel weight, I would be riding something more sporting in the first place. Marchesini anyone?

Guest 767fixer
Fixer,

We usually don't agree...but damn that was pretty funny.

5 lbs for rear? That is crazy light and crazy expensive I'm sure.

ahhh....we had a disagreement....doesnt mean we always disagree. thats the joy of our human individuality! smile.gif

Sorry to stray further off topic Marty, but I would kill to put a set of PVM 10Y wheels on my viffer...

Front magnesium wheel weight = 6.5lb(street), 6.0lb(race)

Rear " " " = 10.7(street), 9.6(race)

Aluminum front = 8.25lb

" rear = 13.5lb

& about $2000 for the set. <_<

• Member Contributer
Fill in the blanks:

4th gen. rear 12.0 lbs

I filled in the blanks but i don't see how that it helps :blink:

Judging by your avitar you don't use wheels anyway fixer :blink:

I actually thought about and looking into CF wheels for my CBR, after talking to BST direct, I was highly recommended against it for any type of street purposes. They apparently are really really really fragile, just as we all know real carbon is anyway, but I was told even the impact of crossing a railroad track would crack them or damage there integrity. They were intended for track purposes only, and are not DOT approved. I do know BST has now came out with a set of DOT approved wheels but they are like $2200.00 per wheel, not per set for the CBR. Just look into this deeply before you spend money on something that ends up being useless.

BTW, that was hilarious Fixer!

Guest 767fixer
Fill in the blanks:

4th gen. rear 12.0 lbs

I filled in the blanks but i don't see how that it helps :unsure:

Judging by your avitar you don't use wheels anyway fixer :goofy:

i find the unsprung weight un - needed. handling is a little off though. and i have never figured out how to handle the lack of braking

I have a pair of bare 4th Gen wheels, a bare 3rd Gen rear wheel and a bare 2004 R1 front wheel at home, and nothing to weigh them with! Will see what I can scrounge this afternoon... might go buy the missus a set of digital bathroom scales, any tips on how to present them to her without getting my lights punched out? : )

I have a pair of bare 4th Gen wheels, a bare 3rd Gen rear wheel and a bare 2004 R1 front wheel at home, and nothing to weigh them with! Will see what I can scrounge this afternoon... might go buy the missus a set of digital bathroom scales, any tips on how to present them to her without getting my lights punched out? : )

How about this, "Honey I bought these scales to weigh some motorcycle wheels but when I am done maybe you could use them. Lord knows you need to" Think that would work? :P

Guest 767fixer
I just weighed my freshly powder coated 6th Gen. rear and it's approximately 13.8 lbs. That's without the valve stem of course.

when it come time to install the valve stem i know where there is an informative article on how to install the cap... :thumbsup:

Sorry to stray further off topic Marty, but I would kill to put a set of PVM 10Y wheels on my viffer...

Front magnesium wheel weight = 6.5lb(street), 6.0lb(race)

Rear " " " = 10.7(street), 9.6(race)

Aluminum front = 8.25lb

" rear = 13.5lb

& about $2000 for the set. <_<

That's the kind the famous Durbahn bike has on it and he said he has tried every part known to man. :unsure:

I actually thought about and looking into CF wheels for my CBR, after talking to BST direct, I was highly recommended against it for any type of street purposes. They apparently are really really really fragile, just as we all know real carbon is anyway, but I was told even the impact of crossing a railroad track would crack them or damage there integrity. They were intended for track purposes only, and are not DOT approved. I do know BST has now came out with a set of DOT approved wheels but they are like $2200.00 per wheel, not per set for the CBR. Just look into this deeply before you spend money on something that ends up being useless.

Didn't know that but now that you've burst my bubble on getting CF wheels when I hit the lottery..... Looks like its gonna be those gold-anodized magnesium wheels now. :thumbsup:

Didn't know that but now that you've burst my bubble on getting CF wheels when I hit the lottery..... Looks like its gonna be those gold-anodized magnesium wheels now. :thumbsup:

Did you ever get the numbers on the stock wheels yet ?

I have a loose front, but not sure if I have a loose rear wheel at the moment. :goofy:

Did you ever get the numbers on the stock wheels yet ?

I have a loose front, but not sure if I have a loose rear wheel at the moment. :wub:

Sure didn't...thought that Phantom was going to be the first one to post up figures but he may have suffered an injury when he presented the new scales to his wife. :goofy: Hard to lift those heavy cinder block stock wheels with two broken arms.

... might go buy the missus a set of digital bathroom scales, any tips on how to present them to her without getting my lights punched out? : )

How about this, "Honey I bought these scales to weigh some motorcycle wheels but when I am done maybe you could use them. Lord knows you need to" Think that would work? :P

I just weighed my freshly powder coated 6th Gen. rear and it's approximately 13.8 lbs. That's without the valve stem of course.

when it come time to install the valve stem i know where there is an informative article on how to install the cap... :thumbsup:

3 freakin' hilarious posts X "LOL" = :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually thought about and looking into CF wheels for my CBR, after talking to BST direct, I was highly recommended against it for any type of street purposes. They apparently are really really really fragile, just as we all know real carbon is anyway, but I was told even the impact of crossing a railroad track would crack them or damage there integrity. They were intended for track purposes only, and are not DOT approved.

Funny, how will they handel rideing over the with/red widenings on the racetrack if you line goes wide, if they dont handet crossin a railroad?

Archived