Weight Of Stock Vfr Wheels

Hobie1dog

Guest ex TZ tuner
Sorry t ostray further off topic Marty, but I would kill to put a set of PVM 10Y wheels on my viffer...

Would 2 guys killing for a set of 10Y's be a gang?

Sorry t ostray further off topic Marty, but I would kill to put a set of PVM 10Y wheels on my viffer...

Would 2 guys killing for a set of 10Y's be a gang?

So you saw the British bike magazine pb (performance bike)

the issue with Durbahn's customized VFR with the PVM wheels on it?

Did you forget us? Take a road trip? In the hospital?

Sorry guys, I did actually take a road trip - flew to Queensland on Friday afternoon then took a few days driving my partner and kids home from their grandparents place... will make some arrangements now to get the scales I need so I can post that data up!

I actually thought about and looking into CF wheels for my CBR, after talking to BST direct, I was highly recommended against it for any type of street purposes. They apparently are really really really fragile, just as we all know real carbon is anyway, but I was told even the impact of crossing a railroad track would crack them or damage there integrity. They were intended for track purposes only, and are not DOT approved. I do know BST has now came out with a set of DOT approved wheels but they are like $2200.00 per wheel, not per set for the CBR. Just look into this deeply before you spend money on something that ends up being useless.

Went to my Farkel dealer today to drool over the 10k dollar pair of Ohlin Superbike forks in the glass case and also to look at the aftermarket wheels he carries. He was telling me that he has sold 6 pair of BST carbon wheels so far and they have all been to street riders and nobody has had a damaged one yet.

All I know is what BST told me on the phone. I did see on the phone that they have DOT approved CF wheels now, so thats an improvement from where they were 2 1/2 years ago when I was looking at them. And I have to ask why does a dealership just have a set of 10k forks setting around, thats like special order stuff you don't usually see setting around in any kinda store.

I have a pair of bare 4th Gen wheels, a bare 3rd Gen rear wheel and a bare 2004 R1 front wheel at home, and nothing to weigh them with! Will see what I can scrounge this afternoon... might go buy the missus a set of digital bathroom scales, any tips on how to present them to her without getting my lights punched out? : )

Yikes! Hide that thing in the garage! :beer:

And forget those $10,000 wheels. :goofy:

All I know is what BST told me on the phone. I did see on the phone that they have DOT approved CF wheels now, so thats an improvement from where they were 2 1/2 years ago when I was looking at them. And I have to ask why does a dealership just have a set of 10k forks setting around, thats like special order stuff you don't usually see setting around in any kinda store.

This shop is in the NASCAR race park and the sign out front doesn't say anything about motorcycles...I just happened to be next door to it at an electrical supply house and the guy behind the counter has a sportbike and told me about it. It has the best of the best in it.....they do 90% online business...there is Marchenchi (spelling?) wheels,CRG gold anodized levers in glass display cases, etc.....gives you a real SCHWING effect when you look around. The Ohlins forks are real beauties as the gold anodized outer tubes are fluted like columns on a house....next time I'm in there, I'll take a pic for you.

• Member Contributer

I happen to have a 6th Gen set that I have just stripped. On my digital bathroom scale which rounds to the nearest 1/2 lb, the Front came in at 10.0 and the rear at 13.0 Front wheel still had the bearings in and they would probably both be a bit more with the power coating.

At 13lbs for the rear wheel, I wouldn't think there would be alot of difference in the aftermarket aluminum and magnesium wheels.....gotta do more searching on the web I guess for weights.

Archived