The Phantom Meets Frankenstein

The Phantom

These were taken when I did the first mock-up to see how it's all going to go together.

How it all sits - note that the standard R1 clip-ons are fitted to gauge how much rise I'll need:

gallery_5581_740_41292.jpg

The chosen clip-ons already have 20-25mm of rise, they are with a mate who's machining billet extensions for them to give me a choice between 1" and 2" above the standard height of these:

gallery_5581_740_6866.jpg

Now this is the bit that made me smile - I'd fitted these set-screw years ago to reduce steering lock after I fitted VTR1000 clip-ons (just to stop my fingers being pinched against the tank at full lock, the VTR clip-ons don't actually hit anything). They work perfectly with the CBR929 lower triple :thumbsup:

gallery_5581_740_39712.jpg

General bling pics : )

gallery_5581_740_62776.jpg

gallery_5581_740_50566.jpg

Fantastic!

Finally, a good thread on a 4th gen front end upgrade in the works, for maybe us NACA lovers to follow very soon(?)! And it's an excellent R1 radial braked front end to boot!

A million thanks Phantom! for going to bat for the 4th gen fork conversion for us!

Good luck and keep the excellet engineering going!

Beck

95 VFR - seriously longing for a modern front end.....

Edited by Beck

Murray, you'll probably have to slide those forks up and install the clipons above the upper triple clamp.

Otherwise the extra trail will make it steer real slow.

You'll likely wind up being shorter overall then the stock front forks, but that's OK, you'll need it to sharpen the steering.

Oh yeah, looks good and those brakes are going to be stupid powerful! :thumbsup:

Guest DonnyBallGame

Looks great Phantom. I am thinking now that I should have went with radial mounted calipers as well. :thumbsup:

Can you tell me what the fork length is on your R1 forks? Center of axle to top of fork.(Not Adjusters) Thanks

Edited by DonnyBallGame

• Member Contributer

From the Frankenviffer Checklist:

R1 '04-'06

28 5/8 in. / 725 mm

Spring rate: .930 kg/mm

320mm rotors

radial calipers

Can use VFR front wheel with Ducati rotors

Forks will sit 4mm further apart in 929/954/RC51 triples

Will need to make wheel spacers and shim rotors to fit

It's ok I'm going over to his garage & taking it to finish & ride, then in about another 4 years I'll put it back into his garage & he will never be the wiser. Except he will think elfs did him a favour :P

Phantom we are doing another track day EC the 13th Jan 07 do you want to pay for that one & not show like the last two, or was it you just didn't show because your purple tights were in the wash :goofy:

Hey I've got two pairs of purple tights Roy! :goofy:

Yeah it's probably the worlds longest running two/three month rebuild and tidy-up, but it gives me something to do when I have some free time :joystick:

Rob, yeah even though it's not on its wheels (it's raked forward on the stands) I can see that the trail is going to be way off, I'll have to muck around with it to get it right. The Ohlins rear works out to be exactly the same length as the VFR shock when the ride height is wound out to max (it's off a CBR900) so a few shims might be needed to get the geometry right (oh and there's always the flipped eccentric to really shake it up; I might end up needing to afix that R1 steering damper somehow...)

Regarding conventional vs. radial, I passed up on heaps of excellent sets of pre-2004 R1 front ends once I got it in my head that I wanted radials. Now I'm not sure that it was worth going the extra $, but I'm sure once I wind on some brake I'll be glad I did it (yeah yeah I know, how much brake could I need in the garage...)

Regarding spacers - the OzVFR mate doing the billet bits for the clip-ons is also turning up a pair of 2mm spacers for the axle - using a spare OEM 04 R1 spacer for material. He's also making 10 x 2mm spacers to space the rotors off the wheels, probably out of brass (easy to get brass stock).

I'll work out timeframes with him in the next day and as soon as they are done will post pics here. Beck I'll also post complete ground-up installation pics once all the bits are ready (i.e. difference btwn VFR and CBR steeringhead bearings, side by side pics of triples, forks etc. and will weigh everything).

I'm leaving the R1 wheel black and using different colour rimstickers over the red (which is painted on). The 8-spoke will be powdercoated black next week (or maybe painted, I might want to polish the rim lips at some stage in the future).

Now I'm off to the garage to Roy-proof it :goofy:

With that bottle of Michelob sitting in front of the PC monitor, he may never finish it.

Crown Lager actually : )

Guest 767fixer
Fantastic!

Finally, a good thread on a 4th gen front end upgrade in the works, for maybe us NACA lovers to follow very soon(?)! And it's an excellent R1 radial braked front end to boot!

when is he going to graft the R1 fairings!!!

sorry....i had to :D

Guest vfrrider

OK, stock R1 spacers + 2mm, using stock R1 front wheels and rotors. Good idea.

Forks are a little bit shorter, should be a good starting point on the steering.

On the color, the R1 red is nice, maybe the whole bike, with some appropriate pinstripes?

Looking good. :thumbsup:

Larry

VFRrider

Now, if I could just cram a VF1000R engine in the 3rd or 4th gen frame, Aprilia, Triumph or Ducati SSS, who knows. Any volunteeers with extra parts?

On the color, the R1 red is nice, maybe the whole bike, with some appropriate pinstripes?

Still completely undecided about the final colour. The bike is factory black (the tank is red underneath the black, all Australian 4th Gen VFRs have this regardless of whether they are black, blue, green or, uh, red) and I like it a lot in black.

Was thinking of going with a matte/satin black like the Asphalt or Aprilia colour. Otherwise perhaps a combination of black, silver and gunmetal, I like the monochrome look. The front indicators will be clear ones in Blackbird mirrors, the rear will be LED behind a slightly tinted perspex panel.

In its initial guise it will definitely be black, I'm not going to spend on flash paint until I know my Plastex body mods will hold up (and until after it's completed a couple of track days intact).

I do agree that the R1 red looks good - sort of a candy apple finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross-pollination eh David? : )

Smithy is hopefully going to have the spacers back to me in the next few days, but I'll be doing further measurements tonight inc. checking out where the oil cooler is going to sit. Further updates tomorrow with pics.

Guest DonnyBallGame
Cross-pollination eh David? : )

Smithy is hopefully going to have the spacers back to me in the next few days, but I'll be doing further measurements tonight inc. checking out where the oil cooler is going to sit. Further updates tomorrow with pics.

I am curious about what you are doing with your oil cooler. That is the next thing I am going to tackle as well. I may just end up curving it like we have seen in the past. I will share my pics with you once I get mine sorted out.