The Phantom Meets Frankenstein

The Phantom

• 6 months later...

Wow, of all the people to draw out :)

Hope things are good mate, you still in Melbournistan?

I just had to find and mark the topic, because I am getting going on this thing again.

• Member Contributer

because I am getting going on this thing again.

A thing called "procrastination"?? :goofy:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Wow, of all the people to draw out :)

Hope things are good mate, you still in Melbournistan?

I just had to find and mark the topic, because I am getting going on this thing again.

The whole world is waiting mate!

Still in Melbourne ... srsly loving it here but we miss Brisneyland.

• Member Contributer

Re the MV swinger: Didn't BC Guy (he of the Biggus Listus) do that one already? Or is it still stuck in his basement...

Ciao,

he had the swingarm ON the bike and RIDING IT!!

he didnt post more pix after that beacuse he got busy with work not sure if he has completed the front of his bike . but the back was DONE!

if i remember correctly .shaved the left side of the frame where the pivot bolt goes as the right side has a screw..he chopped the screw too!

Have you already been thrown off the other streetfighter forum you joined recently due to inactivity? :goofy:

Phantom = the boy who cried wolf.

LOL AB :cool:

I joined Aussie Street Fighters a few years back, recently went active there again, and they too are giving me this crap... well, fair enough :goofy:

12 years. Crikey.

I put a post on Aussie Street Fighters that details the parts and mods, might as well put it here too.

So here's the mods so far, at least as far as I can remember. Not all of these have gone beyond 'concept/fantasy' stage, but the ones that haven't aren't pipe dreams, a lot of though has gone into this. It's twelve years since I started the build, after all rolleyes.png

And if it's mentioned, it means it's here in the workshop, except for the last category of potential changes.

Engine/gearbox/electrical

• Stock internals (for now - got a genuine Vesrah full gasket kit stored for when it goes out to 840cc)
  • Stock carbs but with jetting fettled by Paul Schofield, who was an Aussie HRC race mech in the Corser days
  • Stock airbox with K&N filter and snorkel ditched
  • Indigo stainless steel full header system (new, never used)
  • Rear valve cover (with the big ugly EGR box) replaced by a front valve cover, plumbed to airbox for ventilation
  • Entire external cooling system replaced with EWP80/digital controller and custom plumbing - custom rad on the way
  • Ford Windsor 302 V8 block welch plug to block waterpump shaft hole (perfect fit)
  • Factory 'EVO Star' shift kit
  • Barnett heavy duty kevlar clutch with HD springs
  • Sebspeed custom clutch cover with clear lexan window
  • Coil on plug set-up from GSX-R (work in progress)
  • CBR600RR reg/reg (the VFR one is a failure waiting to happen)
  • 2003 CBR600F4i dash (new, never used)
  • Shorai lithium battery to suit CBR929
  • CBR1000RR in-tank fuel pump, to ditch the heavy external pump that I'm struggling to hide...

Frame/subframes

• Modified frame (for cosmetic and weight reasons - centrestand mounts removed, extraneous holes welded up etc.)
  • 2002 R6 aluminium rear subframe
  • 2003 CBR600F4i front subframe

Suspension - front (inc steering, brakes, wheel, controls)

• CBR929 upper and lower tripleclamps
  • 2005 ZX-10R fork uppers
  • 2004 R1 fork stantions (rechromed by RAD)
  • Uppers, lowers and internals modified and fitted together by Zeno
  • 2004 R1 radial calipers
  • 2004 R1 radial brake master cylinder assembly
  • 2004 front wheel
  • 2004 front rotors
  • HEL braided brakelines
  • VTR1000F clutch master cylinder assembly
  • EPRO 4-piece billet clip-ons
  • H'arris "VFR"-branded grips
  • Pazzo shorty levers
  • Beringer fluid pots
  • Sebspeed titanium rotor spacers and axle spacers (bling!)

Suspension - rear (including drivetrain, brakes, wheel)

• Ohlins HO802 (remote res) shock - from a 1998 CBR900RR, rebuilt and sprung for 85kg rider
  • Stock swingarm
  • Triumph 2002 Sprint ST hub/eccentric
  • Marchesini forged 10Y 848 rear wheel
  • Chain Gang 45T CNC-lightened steel rear sprocket
  • OEM 16T front sprocket
  • RK "HFO" 530 chain
  • Custom braided brake line inside swingarm

Bodywork * (I am listing both the SF components and the full-faired components here, as I intend to switch between the two as the mood takes me)

• Original tank, cosmetically modified
  • 2002 R6 rear bodywork and seat
  • 2002 R6 OEM Yamaha pillion seat cowl (try to find one of those! took me three years of searching)
  • 'Clear Alternatives' smoked LED tail light with integrated indicators
  • 2000 CBR600F upper front fairing
  • 2000 CBR600 headlight housing modified with dual 2.5" Bi-Xenon HID headlights
  • SuperBlackbird mirrors with clear indicators
  • SuperBlackbird right side fairing
  • SuperBlackbird left side fairing integrated with CBR600F left side fairing (the hole the stator pokes out on the CBR fairing was perfect, Blackbird less so)
  • 2004 R1 front guard
  • MV Agusta F4 headlight (for SF duties)

Not yet sorted, and potential changes to the build

• Rearsets (CBR900RR up to 1998 are a bolt on, as are 2010-12 R1)
  • Tank - may switch to a 3rd Gen VFR750 tank which is less bulbous than the 4th Gen tank
  • Swingarm - MV Agusta F4 swingarm isn't hard to fit to a VFR frame and the hub/eccentric diameter is the same
  • Front wheel - I'd like a 10Y Marchesini to match the rear...
  • Front rotors - Galfer wave rotors are a maybe
  • Airbox - might go with a Durbahn CF RC30 airbox but that may also require RC30 Keihlins cool.png Save it for when we go to 840cc, we'll be looking for 130-140rwhp at that point
  • Like 1

Nice list.

What fuel pressure regulator will you use to bring the psi down to acceptable level for carbs?

And, have you seen the Samco 4th gen hose group buy? Not sure if you can use all or part with your setup, but there is a 15% discount site-wide for VFRD members right now.

I haven't got that far re. the fuel pump mod, but was thinking that the Turbo City FPR might work? Interested to know whether I am in the ballpark there...

I've been following the Samco topic but no, my hose arrangements will be nothing like stock. Pre-formed hoses simply won't work... pics to follow, maybe 2016 or so :cool:

Thanks for all your input into this project so far dude; I hope the finished product makes it worth the effort you've put in. Also hope you're still alive when it's finished.

Another list - the things Seb has helped me out on:

Custom parts

• Clear clutch cover (do I have the #2 clear clutch cover? I think so)
  • Titanium one piece spacers for 2004-2006 R1 front end conversion using Fireblade triples
  • Titanium axle spacers for above

Stuff Seb has purchased on my behalf and mailed Down Under

• Front valve cover
  • Ariete/Bridgeport 90 degree valve stems (back when they were stupidly expensive here)
  • Airless plastic welder (one of my favourite workshop tools!)
  • Clear Alternatives R6 tail light
  • LOTS of other bits

And with each delivery to Oz, Seb has chucked in extra stuff at his own cost - thin sheets of aluminium, decals, all sorts of things. In fact the Ti spacers arrived unannounced, as a complete surprise. And then there was the Pazzo lever to suite the R1 radial master cylinder I am using... I love this guy :)

That is a very long list of parts for a garage ornament, even people that buy vintage machinery that zero spare parts can be bought & anything they need has to be fabricated from scratch complete there projects in under 12 years. If you spent 1/2 the time you spend on forums working on your project the other 1/2 of that time you could be riding lol

• Member Contributer

Some people spend their life chasing THE ULTIMATE pleasure,

not seeing the smaller pleasures in front of them, ready to be enjoyed

and that is ok too!!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Some people spend their life chasing THE ULTIMATE pleasure,

not seeing the smaller pleasures in front of them, ready to be enjoyed

and that is ok too!!! :beer:

i\thats right!! and when i finally meet her i will die with a grin on my face :cool:

That is a very long list of parts for a garage ornament, even people that buy vintage machinery that zero spare parts can be bought & anything they need has to be fabricated from scratch complete there projects in under 12 years. If you spent 1/2 the time you spend on forums working on your project the other 1/2 of that time you could be riding lol

Yep :)

• Member Contributer

Think you can give a few details on some of those items.

The welch plug. I was looking at that when I started the electric water pump conversion, but figured that would be a job for the lathe. Got any info or pictures on it? Anything to reduce machining time is great.

For your 848 conversion, did you do the same spacer arrangement I determined? I'm still waiting on those longer drive pins. Oh what I'd do for access to a nice Hardinge.

The in tank pump. Was that just a cut and fit? I saw one person who did an FI conversion actually make a separate tank that was just gravity fed from the original and put the in tank pump in there. Sounded heavier and more stuff to hide, but a somewhat simple way around the problem.

Why the rear valve cover swap?

The welch plug. I was looking at that when I started the electric water pump conversion, but figured that would be a job for the lathe. Got any info or pictures on it? Anything to reduce machining time is great.

1-1/2" - it's one of the six plugs that go into the block, three on each bank. Look up 302 Windsor plug kit on ebay.

For your 848 conversion, did you do the same spacer arrangement I determined? I'm still waiting on those longer drive pins. Oh what I'd do for access to a nice Hardinge.

Still a work in progress.

The in tank pump. Was that just a cut and fit? I saw one person who did an FI conversion actually make a separate tank that was just gravity fed from the original and put the in tank pump in there. Sounded heavier and more stuff to hide, but a somewhat simple way around the problem.

Still a work in progress. The tank is being modded by a panel guy I know, will post pics when it comes back.

Why the rear valve cover swap?

Aesthetics... I don't want to hide the rear valve bank, I want it to be obvious that the bike is a V4... I also think keeping that bit open "adds lightness" visually:

4175312326_0bd1ccb1ea_o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Greg! My reply to Yoshi didn't really explain it - that big PCV valve/breather on the rear valve cover looks arse... and showing the rear bank off meant making it look good. I tried the front valve cover on the rear bank and it works... so I found one cheap on ebay USA, had it shipped to Seb, and he added it to a box of stuff he was already putting together for me.

This pic shows it better. You can now see right through the bike under the tank. Since this pic the tanks lower edges have received further modification (the pic above is a quick and dirty edit with MS Paint) and that gap is bigger, so it was worth swapping the valve cover.

Whether this will lead to heat issues is a fair question, but the 6th Gens have the rear bank open to the elements and no-one seems to complain about that. Although it's fair to say that 6th Gen riders don't ride their bikes as hard as 4th Gen riders, so maybe they just don't get the engine hot enough for it to be an issue? LOL

4166661450_0b615dc813_b.jpg

Geez, it looks almost ready in that pic. What does it need (at the bare minimum) to be ridden?

Brake lines, cooling system, clocks, hand controls, headlight, electrical, carbs and airbox, end can, what else?

From what I see, that's a good weekend's work.

• Like 1