The Phantom Meets Frankenstein

The Phantom

Now, if I could just cram a VF1000R engine in the 3rd or 4th gen frame, Aprilia, Triumph or Ducati SSS, who knows. Any volunteeers with extra parts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-honda-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Go get it Larry!

I had meant to sort out the oil cooler clearance this evening but got side-tracked when DonnyBallGame posted about his CBR929 stem length issue - he's sorted that while I've been in the shed looking into it, but it's worth posting pics of the CBR and VFR hardware.

Back to back - guess which one is off the Fireblade... The stem is pretty much the same length on each lower. The bearing races end up at roughly the same position - note that the CBR929 triple has the standard ball bearings while the VFR triple has roller bearings.

Edit: Note that these pics show EVERYTHING that goes into the bike - the upper and lower bearing races that are installed into the steeringhead with drifts, the bearings themselves, and the upper capnut, lockwasher, locknut, and the top triple nut. When I reinstall all this stuff I'll take detailed pics and post them here.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

It looks to me like the VFR unit is a one-piece stem/lower triple casting - when you look up the guts of it from below there's no evidence of a separate stem. The CBR unit is definitely two-piece.

If you're going to use the CBR929 unit make sure the stem is pressed into the lower triple properly (as per pic) - it apparently can be pressed in incorrectly (i.e not far enough), in which case the stem length will not be adequate for installation into the VFR steeringhead... just ask DonnyBallGame...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Oh, and after having seen the beefy CBR triple next to the pissy little VFR triple, are there any further questions regarding why we like to swap out our front ends? : )

Guest vfrrider

Phantom,

You just had to point out the obvious, didn't you? Yes, I saw that poor abused bike, but I don't know about the engine. Said it was started 4 months ago? Probably find a squirrel int the air cleaner.

Let's see. 4th gen frame, VFR SSS with Ducati pin drive mod by SAfe-T, RC51 front end, VFR800 wheel in front with Ducati 320 MM rotors, 2005 R1 forks, RC51 lower triple, 954 upper triple, RC51 bearings, vfr800 rear wheel. And for the finale, an NR look alike fairing, if I can get RM Racing to ever respond. I'm sure I've misses a lot. All I need to a VF1000R donor bike, a 94-97 donor bike, about $2000 in parts with bodywork, and another garage and wife, as she is gonna kill me with 1 more project and another 2 bikes in the 2 car garage with 2.5 bikes, so far. Did I get it all right, Safe-T?

I'm a dead man. Anyone know of a good 94-97 donor?

Larry

VFRrider, dead man walking.

You just had to point out the obvious, didn't you? Yes, I saw that poor abused bike, but I don't know about the engine. Said it was started 4 months ago? Probably find a squirrel int the air cleaner.

A mate on OzVFR who knows about such things said it's got a desirable engine (something about oil galleries IIRC)...

It looks to me like the VFR unit is a one-piece stem/lower triple casting - when you look up the guts of it from below there's no evidence of a separate stem. The CBR unit is definitely two-piece.

Actually, it IS 2-piece, just that the steel stem is welded to the steel lower triple clamp.

My '86 was the same way and I had the weld ground off so the VFR stem could be pressed into the CBRf2 lower triple.

• 2 months later...

OK! I will get an update this week (not much as of right now, but a bit going on in the background that should come to fruition by midweek).

• 1 month later...
OK! I will get an update this week (not much as of right now, but a bit going on in the background that should come to fruition by midweek).

Wakey, wakey that post above said update midweek dated 25th March zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My 05 R1 forks, calipers (bing gold fitting ones), axle, rotors have arrived so have started playing as you do (well maybe not phantom) & have started to look what clip-on I could fit for the least amout of $$. I do know that at most there will only be 5mm of fork leg that sticks through top 954 triple clamp.

I just need to find a lathe I can use to make rotor, axle spacers :thumbsup:

Edited by zRoYz

G'day RoY, might as well hijack this thread as the Phantom doesn't need it! smile.gif So which bike are the R1 forks going into? KR750? Have you thought about cutting the triple clamp down a bit to give more room to fit clip-ons?

The forks are for the KR750, I have pletty of room to fit clip-on under triple as I want a lower position. If I end up fitting F4I body work then clearence is even less a issue.

I suppose I should update this sometime : )

Roy did you get the pics of the spacers I sent you? I was having problems with attachments at the time, but forgot to check in with you after I sent the emails off.

Smithy will knock the axle spacers out for you, just get a pair of OEM ones from a wrecker (I paid $5 for a pair, cheapest Ti you'll ever find) and mail them to his place of work at Chester Hill.

I've got a template for the one-piece rotor spacers, am probably going to make them with a jig saw and a drillpress. Don't make the 10 individual ones like we did, they are too fiddly to fit.

I suppose I should update this sometime : )

Roy did you get the pics of the spacers I sent you? I was having problems with attachments at the time, but forgot to check in with you after I sent the emails off.

Smithy will knock the axle spacers out for you, just get a pair of OEM ones from a wrecker (I paid $5 for a pair, cheapest Ti you'll ever find) and mail them to his place of work at Chester Hill.

I've got a template for the one-piece rotor spacers, am probably going to make them with a jig saw and a drillpress. Don't make the 10 individual ones like we did, they are too fiddly to fit.

Yep got pics thanks :-)

The spacers are a no brainer & I was going to make disk spacers one peice, I'm looking at alloy sheet & just get lazer cut.

Axle spacers are also alloy standard & I know a small lathe close buy to make them.

Again everything is on hold, because there is a 99% chance there wil be a CBR1000RR in my garage to turn into a track bike, so either the VTEC or KR is being sold & doesn't look like anyone buying VTEC'S secondhand at moment so might have to let KR go due to much lower price tag (I have no choice garage just wont fit 3 bikes)

Edited by zRoYz

Right, well you know who will be keen to grab your R1 hardware then! Good luck with the potential new arrival.

• 1 month later...

Only questions;

In this thread you stat you need 2mm spacers each side of wheel for axle & rotors. You need this because CBR triple clamps are further apart than R1.

When I bolt everything up (yes projects on hold in my mind, but my hands always do something else) I measure a 3mm spacer is needed, not 2 mm which if I used would have my wheel 1mm out of alinement.

My 2007 R1 wheel with standard spacers measures 160mm.

My 2005 R1 forks mounted in 929 triple clamps & axle fitted measures 166mm (RHS inside fork stop to LHS inside fork stop).

Rotors are standard R1 2005 no off set.

So above means I need 1mm rotor spacers both sides of wheel (is perfect have test fitted using washers) & LHS fork spacer needs 3mm added as only this side needed due to used as location stop, RHS fork locates on axle so will be just 1mm further in fork.

Well I'm going with 1mm due to my measurements with everything bolted together in front of my face as I don't trust anybody.

Edited by zRoYz

• 2 months later...

i would actually like to have an update on this from phantom, being as this is the front end i want to use for my bike, and im curious as to how he likes the 929/954 lower triple as opposed to the unobtainium rc51 SP1 lower.

Can i be granted Moderator status so I can sanction The Phantom for posting an "update" using just 2 emoticons? Come on, thats just weak! smile.gif

Cant you at least move the bike an inch in the rig, shift some dust around, move a spanner, then take a new picture? Thats more prgress than a +1 smiley!

In fact, I'm adding another beer to your tab, you owe a few now!

Can i be granted Moderator status so I can sanction The Phantom for posting an "update" using just 2 emoticons? Come on, thats just weak! smile.gif

And I bet Murray Duncan (and his twin brother Duncan Murray) still calls himself a VFR rider... :blink:

Not at all Eeen - I'm a VFR owner, not a VFR rider :mellow:

OK OK I will see what I can do re. pics. The cockpit looks fantastic :thumbsup: if a bit impractical in current guise...

• 5 months later...

CLOSED

(help me out here Mods!)

Unfortunately not a lot to report and the promised pics went by the wayside when my Canon S1 IS developed the 'CCD Black Screen Of Death', but I'm expecting it back from Canon any day now...

The R1 forks are with the guy that did the R1 forks for zRoYz for a rebuild and some tricking up, but I'm going interstate for a month this weekend. So nothing (again) on this sage for a while yet.

I did buy a shift kit between my last post and now...