5th gen pricing oddities...

I'm thinking about selling my bike. As with any bike, I always check around to see what they're going for and price accordingly. Can someone explain to me the wild pricing I'm observing with these things? I see nice examples anywhere from $3500-$5500! The only online used pricing guide I can find for our bikes is JD Power. They say a excellent 2000 goes for @ $6900! WTF?  I know it's not worth that, but then I think to myself... What new bike are you gonna buy that's even close to our beloved 5th gens for less than $10k? Now, my bike certainly isn't new, but it's as close as your gonna get. 

Anyway, what do you guys think a damn near showroom condition 2000 with 7000 miles is worth? Thanks a bunch

• Member Contributer

Shit loads to anyone who knows their motorcycles 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

What he said. 

I don't precisely understand your note. Pricing is determined by market, not a book or online pricing site. None of those have been even close in a decade or two. 

24 minutes ago, bmart said:

What he said. 

I don't precisely understand your note. Pricing is determined by market, not a book or online pricing site. None of those have been even close in a decade or two. 

I get it, but it was always a reasonable start. I've bought and sold dozens of bikes over the years. Certain bikes are just desirable. 10 year old Busa's are selling for a few grand less than they were new. And try to find one that hasn't been molested. On the other hand, you can pick up a bone stock mint 10 year old VFR for less then half of what they were new. Believe me, I understand. Our bikes weren't that popular. But some of us are enthusiasts, and know exactly what a VFR is..(was).

This is my 4th one.

Just asking opinions, that's all. 

• Member Contributer

I treasure mine! Like many on the list, there's still nothing to replace it with that is better. Certainly not $10k better! 🙂

• Like 1

My dad would always tell me my car was worth whatever one person was willing pay on any given day. As to your low mileage example, the mileage will be a big plus but if the services all need to be performed, it's considerable these days and will bring that value down. There's a '00 5th gen in my area that is listed for $6500. My '07 with every farkle you can put on one is listed for $5700. I listed it here on VFRD for almost a year at a lower price and got zero replies. VFR guys are cheap sob's. I can say that because I'm one of you. I will gladly lower the price when someone shows some real interest. Unmolested 5th gens are harder and harder to find so you should get some interest. Start high and just be patient. Could I interest you in a 6th gen?😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, people can ask whether they want for an item. It doesn't mean it's worth it.  Again, I'm not looking to shamelessly promote my bike here. I just wanted some feedback before I list it. Thanks guys

• Member Contributer

Go high and be patient. Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

There's a 2000 on Cycle Trader right now for 6k. 24k miles. Tipped over on both sides, dented tank, old fluids, rust. Are these guys high? If that thing is worth 6, mines worth 8 Anyway, I'm gonna list mine here today at some point. Dont be bashful, tell me what you guys think.

• Member Contributer

I went to a BMW demo ride event today just to see if a 20K bike could tickle my fancy. The line was long and I didn't want to waist my day. 

I would have to sell all six of the VFR's in my garage to pay for one BMW.  Personally, I wouldn't trade one of my VFR's for any BMW . All $things being equal.

So what's your mint 2000 worth? Unfortunately, not many people out there want them.  ?  I'm baffled by that when Honda trail 70s are bringing 4-7K and chrome mini trails are 10K+. VFR's just aren't bringing the big bucks.   

I'm holding on to mine for now. Maybe the tide will turn. Good luck with the sale and keep us informed.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but I bought a pristine '98 with 14K miles for $2000 a few years ago. That was a good deal, but I don't think any 5th gen is worth $6K.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I payed mid $3K for all of mine. They have more than that in suspension components alone. It's not about the money.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Denber said:

I went to a BMW demo ride event today just to see if a 20K bike could tickle my fancy.

The only time I'd spend 20k on a motorcycle it would be this one.

20240406_130154_copy_1612x1209.thumb.jpg.b96e36aa1d2343333f656df4a208ee29.jpg20240406_125540_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.8050366e42936f3afb310342cd499dbe.jpg

20240406_125529_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.b1ea2db219c1fe22291de54e704cf0ce.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JimMoore said:

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but I bought a pristine '98 with 14K miles for $2000 a few years ago. That was a good deal, but I don't think any 5th gen is worth $6K.

I appreciate your honesty. $2000 is a real good deal. I'd set mine on fire before I took that. I don't need the money. Unfortunately I don't ride enough to justify having two motorcycles. I'm open to offers. The point of this thread was to get an idea of what it's worth. No biggie. 

Here's a 2001 with 17k miles listed locally for $6k. It's high but the seller is probably not in a rush and can lower the price as needed.   https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/75107544

I say list yours at 5-6 and see what happens. You can always lower it. 

That said, I offer the following for reference:

I bought a 2001 in 2021 with 20k miles for $3,000. Pretty clean overall just needed some refreshing. I considered this one a pretty good deal. 

I bought another 2001 6 months ago with 39k miles for $2500. Not as clean, needed more refreshing. This one was more of an ok/fair deal for what it was. 

Last year there was a 2001 on cycletrader with only 1200 miles listed at $6500. Very sensible price given the miles. It was super clean too. It would be rare to find another one with miles that low or lower.

Things that help get top dollar:

-bike should be detailed, waxed and exceptionally clean. If we're claiming near showroom it should look like it. 

-new(er) tires, recent fluids, etc, especially brake fluid for anyone that knows the annoyance of properly bleeding linked brakes. 

-any and all documented service history available, receipts if you have any in a folder. Both keys if you have them.

-all mods documented in the ad, stock parts included if you have them still. 

-should include OEM grab handles, rear upper cowl (that covers the seat), OEM windscreen, owner's manual and tool kit

-any issues or defects documented/photographed. Pointing out a few small scratches is a good thing if that's literally all there is to point out. It emphasizes that the rest of the bike is in great shape and no surprises for potential buyers. 

-Several GOOD pictures in sunlight (It's amazing how many sellers don't take the time to clean up a vehicle or take good pics.)

-a short but well written for sale ad, bullet points not paragraphs

-priced reasonably given current market. These bikes live between $2k and about $6k with most falling in the $3500-$4500 range. Several factors determine what it will ultimately sell for. There's a price that will have it sold in minutes, another that will have it sold in a day, and another that will take weeks, and another where it won't sell at all. Decide what you would be happy with, add a little wiggle room and see how it goes. 

I have sold many vehicles to the first person who came to look at them by having them clean, sorted, well presented and fairly priced. Most of my vehicles have sold quickly. Some too quickly. Some took longer, some I had to lower the price a little more until the right buyer appeared. Just gotta get the right combination of factors to get it done. 

This is one that I recently spent some time refreshing and cleaning up over the winter. It's not worth $6k, but would probably sell quickly at a reasonable ask. Not for sale though. 😉 

Cheers,

Justin

(click for better resolution)

20240315_175243.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I’d say $4.5k if it’s been maintained and is ready to ride. $3.5k if it’s been just sitting and needs freshening. Start by adding $500 to those prices and see where it goes.

I just bought a 50k mile ‘98 that’s mechanically great and body near perfect but dirty and grungy, $2100. My ‘99 has almost 120k miles but I wouldn’t sell it for less than $8k. 🍻

That's a $4500 US or less VFR. No question. Once again Im convinced that I'm in the ballpark with my price. 

I wasn't going to share this story, but what the hell .

When I purchased this bike the seller wanted $5000. And based on his description of it, I was prepared to pay him exactly that. "Mint condition. Ready to ride" he said. I drove 3 hours with 5k cash in my pocket only to find a motorcycle that wasn't exactly how the seller described. I wasn't happy. Original tires, original fluids, leaking fork seals, rusted chain, ten years of grime and corrosion, almost dead battery. I could go on. Although it had its shortcomings, it had potential. It was all there. Every OEM piece still intact. I was still interested, but no way 5k. I made him an offer and tried to explain that it's going to cost me well over $1000 closer to $2000 just to get it in road worthy condition. He balked. I thanked him for his time left my phone number in case anything changed and split

I drove for 1 hour exactly and he called me back. You guys know the rest. 

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that "mint" is a very relative term. Sure, I could have put new tires on it, cleaned it up, and nothing else. That would be a $4000 VFR. 

That's definitely not what I did.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I think there's some pandemic pricing still lingering. I bought a RC51 pre-pandemic for $5K and sold it for $9K during the pandemic. RC's are still going strong but I'm seeing many starting to pop up in that $5K range again, the market is softening. Same with VFR's. Hope you get you're ask, glwts.