Considering a VFR... help

Thank you all so much for your help. I was able to finally ride one this weekend, unfortunately it was quite a drive to get there. It is a very nicely made bike. It has good fit and finish, looks very sophisticated, has a really smooth engine, and appears to be full-Honda quality.

Sadly, I don't think it is the right bike for me. The seating position didn't seem to suit me; I felt like I was sitting in the bike and not really on it, and the bars were too high for me. I felt like I was leaning back a bit, but not enough to stand up on the pegs... just seemed like an unsual position to me (mind you, I've only really ever ridden road race and MX bikes). It also seemed hard to get it to initially turn into a corner and there did not seem to be a lot of feel through the front end. It didn't feel like I could get enough weight onto the front tire with the upright riding position. I am sure I could get used to it, but it feels strange to me.

Everyone keeps telling me that at my age (46) I should get a touring bike, but they just don't seem right for me. I think I am going to get something a bit sportier. I honestly find the riding position on something like a CBR to be more comfortable, it just seems like I can load the front tire more and turn in easier. I also get that everyone thinks I am nuts. Thanks again guys.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, johnnie903 said:

Everyone keeps telling me that at my age (46) I should get a touring bike, . 

I was 64 when I bought my first CBR

Well done for trying it though and now you have the information for the future 

I ride a RRR electronic suspension is amazing and super comfortable.  I am 55 BTW.  I own several bikes with upgraded suspension, but nothing compares to it.   Still love my RC51 VFR800 and 750's though.

• Member Contributer

Hey matey, so glad you got to try one. I was riding a GSXR 750 then at age 59 I suddenly found 2 hours in the saddle was too much for the wrists, hips and neck. My choice to go back to a Honda V4 was based on a memory from the 1980s and it sure felt strange initially; I fully understand that sitting in it feeling and inability to load the front tyre. I've got used to it now and am really enjoying my VFR. But hey you've got years of flexibility and strength ahead! Hope you find a mount that works for you.

I'm glad you got a chance to test ride the bike, even if you found it wasn't the bike for you.  For me, my 6th gen. VFR was the perfect all-arounder for many years, right up until I was about 50, and my knees and neck starting hurting during long rides.  I could have installed a footpeg lowering kit and bar risers, but I didn't really want to change the bike from stock, and after 14 years with it I was really ready for something else.

Also, there's no reason older folks can't still ride supersports.  If your body can handle the ergonomics, go for it!  I have a couple bikes in mind if I were to add a sportbike to my garage, but for better or worse my bank account limits me to one bike at a time.

Good luck with your continued search for your next motorcycle!  👍

• Like 1

Maybe he would like a Triumph speed triple RR.

I've been eyeing one for the last 2 years but can't get myself to sell my VFR.

On 3/27/2024 at 5:50 AM, VFR80025th said:

Maybe he would like a Triumph speed triple RR.

I've been eyeing one for the last 2 years but can't get myself to sell my VFR.

I love the way it looks, but I rode it and it just didn't do it for me. It felt heavy and clumsy, if that makes sense.

I rode the new Moto2 Street Triple and loved it. The riding position, with the raised clipons, was perfect for me and it felt really nimble with tons of midrange... but, I find naked bikes unbearable at speeds over 120. If they made that bike with fairings, it would be perfection!

I also rode a Ducati Supersport. It is quite comfortable and handles great, but feels like it lacks power. There isn't that much up top.  It also seems a bit overpriced and I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the "challenges" of Ducati ownership.

I think I am leaning towards a CBR1000RR and 1" rise clipons.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, johnnie903 said:

I love the way it looks, but I rode it and it ust didn't do it for me. It felt heavy and clumsy, if that makes sense.

I rode the new Moto2 Street Triple and loved it! The riding position, with the raised clipons, was perfect for me and it felt really nimble with tons of midrange... but, I find naked bikes unbearable at speeds over 120. If they made that bike with fairings it would be perfection.

I also rode a Ducati Supersport. It is quite comfortable and handles great, but feels like it lacks power. There isn't that much up top.  It also seems a bit overpriced and I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the "challenges" of Ducati ownership.

I think I am leaning towards a CBR1000RR and 1" rise clipons.

Judging by those other bikes you mention, not sure why you looked at a VFR. 

Whatever you choose, best wishes for it. :beer:

4 hours ago, Skids said:

Judging by those other bikes you mention, not sure why you looked at a VFR. 

Whatever you choose, best wishes for it. :beer:

The reason I looked at it was, I had been told by a few people that it was on the sporty side of sport touring. I was thinking it would be similar to the Ducati Supersport. I guess that is what I think of when I think of a sport touring bike.

Thank you. 

17 hours ago, johnnie903 said:

The reason I looked at it was, I had been told by a few people that it was on the sporty side of sport touring. I was thinking it would be similar to the Ducati Supersport. I guess that is what I think of when I think of a sport touring bike.

I considered a Ducati SuperSport when I was looking for a new (or used) bike to replace my 6th gen. VFR.  A local shop had a nice, low miles SuperSport S in stock, but it already had an issue with a bad fuel tank sensor.  Combine that with a couple other well-known issues with the bike (at least in the first few years of production) and it was a no-go for me.  Plus, it was just too similar to my VFR, and I wanted something different.

Also, the OEM luggage for the SuperSport is only semi-rigid, with zippered closures, and not waterproof hard cases like the VFR's.  That made the bike less attractive to me for use as a sport-tourer.

The other criticism of the SuperSport is it's underpowered for what it is.  Personally, it's more fast enough for me, but I'm not that fast a rider, so middling performance suits me fine.  (I was always happy with my VFR, by the way!)

But I had a seat on a new SuperSport at a local Ducati dealer a couple weekends ago, and now it's just too sporty for my aging (and out of shape) body.  I'm sure would have liked it a few years ago, but I'm glad I passed on it back then when I was bike shopping.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, TimC said:

A local shop had a nice, low miles SuperSport S in stock, but it already had an issue with a bad fuel tank sensor.

This is a standard option on any Ducati over the last 15+ years. 

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, vfrcapn said:

This is a standard option on any Ducati over the last 15+ years. 

vfrcapn is correct. I'm on the 3rd fuel tank sensor on my 2017 Multistrada, although to be fair it is the only issue of any kind I've had with the bike after 26K miles, and it obviously is not mission-critical. They replaced the first one for free but I had to pay for the 2nd one. However, that was four years ago, and their claim that it was finally fixed with a re-design appears to be true.

Ducati had a rep for manufacturing quality control--the dealer where I bought my 2002 VFR dropped Ducati because they couldn't get repair parts in August when the factory shut down for a month!  But that is in the rear view mirror, the last 15 years or so they are as good as any other manu, and seem to have upgraded the build process by learning from owners Audi/VW.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm still getting late-December dealer emails about Italy shutting down for 3 weeks over the holidays. From last December:
URGENT UPDATE:
Plan NOW for the DUCATI warehouse closure in Italy - coming next week!  Ducati has notified us that the global Ducati parts & accessories warehouse in Italy will be CLOSED for accepting new orders from Dec 20th through Jan 7th! NO OUTGOING SHIPMENTS will be leaving Italy for nearly 3 FULL WEEKS! 

The fuel sensor on my '20 MS is currently going out, but it is under warranty still.

Still fun bike, has been trouble free other than the fuel sensor acting up.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

I'm still getting late-December dealer emails about Italy shutting down for 3 weeks over the holidays. From last December:
URGENT UPDATE:
Plan NOW for the DUCATI warehouse closure in Italy - coming next week!  Ducati has notified us that the global Ducati parts & accessories warehouse in Italy will be CLOSED for accepting new orders from Dec 20th through Jan 7th! NO OUTGOING SHIPMENTS will be leaving Italy for nearly 3 FULL WEEKS! 

The fuel sensor on my '20 MS is currently going out, but it is under warranty still.

Still fun bike, has been trouble free other than the fuel sensor acting up.

Haha, I stand corrected, Italians doing Italian things. But at least reliability is now at least very good as we both seem to agree. 

Hope to do a Feather River run this summer up there in the northern Sierra near you, it's been a few years.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 3/22/2024 at 6:01 AM, VFR80025th said:

Its so stable at 140 mph.

20220501_165741.jpg

Buck 40 is go straight to jail velocity...

MrRC45TahoeBendyBits05.jpg