1992 VFR750F Rescue

Nice work. These aluminum parts look delicious. What kind of magic will freshen up the dull and faded plastic housing on the control switch units on the handle bars?

Also the shielding effect on the heat shields is reduced by the dirt and corrosion. Maybe a cleaning and plating will be worth it if you go all-in.

• Member Contributer
On 8/18/2023 at 2:39 PM, rc24dk said:

Nice work. These aluminum parts look delicious. What kind of magic will freshen up the dull and faded plastic housing on the control switch units on the handle bars?

Also the shielding effect on the heat shields is reduced by the dirt and corrosion. Maybe a cleaning and plating will be worth it if you go all-in.

Thank you!

The housings are weird plastic, very porous.  If they are not completely fried, you can rejuvenate them with a plastic restorer or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and re-apply as needed.  These came out nicer than I thought they would, still presentable.

The heat shields have been sand blasted and painted in high heat ceramic paint.  I will add some heat reflective matting on the back if I feel the need.  

Got the brakes and clutch all bled yesterday too.  Now it's time to turn some attention to the bodywork.

• Member Contributer
On 8/18/2023 at 10:39 PM, rc24dk said:

Nice work. These aluminum parts look delicious

Not just delicious; they look brand new! Can you tell what process and materials you used? I'm guessing it's paint and lacquer. Was it heat or air cured?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Presson said:

Not just delicious; they look brand new! Can you tell what process and materials you used? I'm guessing it's paint and lacquer. Was it heat or air cured?

Everything media blasted, light coat of etching primer, and shot with lacquer.  Upper triple and bars are gloss clear lacquer.  I masked off the center of the top triple thru the whole process, then on a thick piece of glass dragged the top triple repeatedly in the same direction over some sandpaper to restore the "brushed" finish.  I left that area raw for now and we'll see how it fares.   I didn't want to clear it because it would have likely "yellowed" it a bit.  And I wasn't popping off a fresh can of 2K just for these bits.

Everything else had matte clear.  I was helping my neighbor bleed some brakes and when I was leaving he gave me an activated partial can of 2K clear.  So I went home and shot the footpeg brackets, levers and some other bits with that too.  The upper triple came out so nice I didn't want to risk using a day old activated 2K and have it spit.

Air cured in the attic of the outer shop, which could almost be considered heat cured.  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

then on a thick piece of glass dragged the top triple repeatedly in the same direction over some sandpaper to restore the "brushed" finish

Now you have me thinking about doing the same to my '09's top triple, which is black. True it is mostly covered by the LSL bar kit, but I'm not a big fan of the blackout look.

The brake & clutch masters and the fork lowers are also black. The forks I've been thinking about stripping whenever I pull them apart for cleaning and new seals & bushings.

556062196_LSL2.thumb.JPG.3a917009d2a5e227ce212fd4f5e9945b.JPG

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Now you have me thinking about doing the same to my '09's top triple, which is black. True it is mostly covered by the LSL bar kit, but I'm not a big fan of the blackout look.

The brake & clutch masters and the fork lowers are also black. The forks I've been thinking about stripping whenever I pull them apart for cleaning and new seals & bushings.

556062196_LSL2.thumb.JPG.3a917009d2a5e227ce212fd4f5e9945b.JPG

Maybe pick up a cheap one that needs to be re-finished anyway...

eBay Triple Clamp

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Bike is now delivering it's own fuel thru the tank and pump.

PXL_20230827_210533885.thumb.jpg.8a104ee2619b39bfd1dc04961b04204f.jpg

Charging system @ 13.8 - 14.2 with the original R/R and a newer style from a 97.  Will be fine for some Fall test rides until I wire in the FH020AA.  Brakes and clutch all bled.

Now I really need to get going on the bodywork, no excuses.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
On 8/18/2023 at 2:53 AM, Captain 80s said:

Here's some of the small items that were restored...

PXL_20230614_131438184.thumb.jpg.417949c47ad0eb8ca8618b7b44daf8b2.jpg

Very interesting what you've done with the rear passenger footpeg brackets.  It's great to see that they can be re-shaped in a way that looks like they could have come that way from Hamamatsu.  FWIW, I believe I just deleted those brackets entirely on my FL/FP, foregoing the side handle and helmet lock, and using a separate (hidden) remote-release for the seat latch.  (I believe because it's been five years since I last worked on it, unfortunately!)  Because it's been so long, I'm not sure what I had planned to do with the front rear cowl bolts--maybe just put the bolts back in, backed by a fender washer and locknut?  I don't think those bolts are necessary to hold the rear cowl on.

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, JZH said:

Very interesting what you've done with the rear passenger footpeg brackets.  It's great to see that they can be re-shaped in a way that looks like they could have come that way from Hamamatsu.  FWIW, I believe I just deleted those brackets entirely on my FL/FP, foregoing the side handle and helmet lock, and using a separate (hidden) remote-release for the seat latch.  (I believe because it's been five years since I last worked on it, unfortunately!)  Because it's been so long, I'm not sure what I had planned to do with the front rear cowl bolts--maybe just put the bolts back in, backed by a fender washer and locknut?  I don't think those bolts are necessary to hold the rear cowl on.

Ciao,

JZH

Hawk GTs have a similar cowl mount on their rear footpeg brackets, but a little more rearward.  Hawk owners learned that if you simply delete them, the cowl will vibrate and crack.  So I did something similar on my Hawk when I built it.

20201123_162711.thumb.jpg.12feec1b5af6cbf9e5eca92df6a49d0f.jpg

I wanted the handle / seat lock on the VFR anyway.  And I think I mentioned earlier, the right side will be used for a Fox reservoir mount.

You can also do something like Joe @ V4Dreams did and make them pretty small.  The piece locates itself on the subframe bolt (hidden), so it can't rotate too far out of position when installing.

2s2e.jpeg.487820435eb93711aec736740acdecb3.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice bike!  Just rebuilt the carbs on mine this spring, all new ethanol resistant parts.

Refurbished Corbin seat too.

Mine has a left exit exhaust, 4-1 by Sandy Bike Spares, not sure if they're still around.  It was terrible when I got it, but with a lot of cutting, grinding and re-welding, it produced 97hp at the rear wheel with a modified airbox and jets.

20230704_180338.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Thanks dude!  Nice bike.

I've got a full left hand Two Brothers for this bike after I get everything sorted and some miles on it.  Got some clean up on it to do.

• Member Contributer
On 8/29/2023 at 12:47 AM, JZH said:

Very interesting what you've done with the rear passenger footpeg brackets.

Here's what still shows with the cowl on.  There's a rib in the casting that is a logical starting trim point.

PXL_20230905_144026027.thumb.jpg.c8e45116ddfe05f335aad3126f53459a.jpg

PXL_20230905_144127357.thumb.jpg.667815ea29f4039a75440a11c4d129ef.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Test ride yesterday!!

PXL_20230917_210702262.thumb.jpg.a141ee839ddfcf88c01d4990a2f14ca1.jpg

PXL_20230918_001902256.thumb.jpg.a9984848ebda0c533337dc1da541c330.jpg

PXL_20230918_001817809.thumb.jpg.274046cdf56adc2b4dd5d815704d0787.jpg

A little purple to pay homage to the original graphics...

PXL_20230917_210844764.thumb.jpg.1457e563a2d3610526c4fb9537a933d7.jpg

Ran perfect.  Starts and idles nicely.  Pulls strong, no clutch slip.  All instruments and gauges work.  Need to pull the crankcase covers and refinish this winter.  Chain guard is next.  It's finally clean, need to remove the stickers and give it a matte or satin finish.  Instantly felt like a VFR I've ridden for years.  Not perfect, but a real nice budget survivor refresh.  Oh, sounds great too.

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, V4 Rosso said:

To me still the best looking VFR.

No side stand fairing left in your parts bin?

Hah!  It's the only trim piece the bike was missing.  The screws were still in the stand with some plastic underneath.  Maybe someday one will come along.

It came with the accessory center stand (currently off) and it has the accessory clock installed.

• Member Contributer
On 9/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, Captain 80s said:

A little purple to pay homage to the original graphics...

I haven't seen that VFR graphic in decades, from a 1990/1991 Euro model perchance?    

• Member Contributer

I looked at all the styles from the place I've been ordering from.  Didn't want 93 style and I didn't want anything close to my 95.  It is listed as 1991 and I thought the style worked great in this application.  And then I did something similar to the rear of the US 93.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Custom Sudco Slip On

Now that's a brand I haven't of this century. Looks & sounds good, though.

Any chance that someone has had their sidestand fairing 3d scanned and willing to share the data? It would seem to be a part perfectly suited to 3d printing.

• Member Contributer

Someday, I will find a way to get a 3d scanner...  I wonder if they're available for rent?  If I had one, I would be happy to scan my NOS sidestand cover...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I might have a line on one that needs a little repair around the mount holes.  That's no problem, as it would be painted anyway.  Fingers crossed.

We have a scanner at work.  I might be able to get the raw data if I ever get my hands on one.

• Member Contributer
On 9/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, Captain 80s said:

Sounds better and the bike runs better with this larger muffler.

Your clip reminded me of an old video of my '92 VFR:

'92 VFR750F with Supertrapp muffler

Edited by Lorne
tried a different video link
  • Like 1