The Ultimate VFR800...

SEBSPEED

4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I used the shock length adjuster on my Nitron Race unit & had the same issue. I removed the centre stand & fitted a CBR1000 alloy side stand with my own adapter to compensate for the excess lean on side stand & its lighter to boot 😁 I still use the centre stand when removing the rear wheel by slipping it on temporarily then using a piece of wood under it so the rear wheel is off the ground so I can remove it, obviously this only works at home. 

I could definitely use the spacer trick but yeah, that really only works at home. I do have a SSSA rear stand to use in the shop, so I'll give some thought to losing the centerstand and more. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I could definitely use the spacer trick but yeah, that really only works at home. I do have a SSSA rear stand to use in the shop, so I'll give some thought to losing the centerstand and more. 

This bike does NOT need a center stand.

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I used the shock length adjuster on my Nitron Race unit & had the same issue. I removed the centre stand & fitted a CBR1000 alloy side stand with my own adapter to compensate for the excess lean on side stand & its lighter to boot 😁 I still use the centre stand when removing the rear wheel by slipping it on temporarily then using a piece of wood under it so the rear wheel is off the ground so I can remove it, obviously this only works at home. 

@Mohawk what model year CBR is the stand from?

• Member Contributer
On 7/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, SEBSPEED said:

I didn't receive any direct feedback from Traxxion when they called and asked me to pay for the rebuild fee, and I didn't ask as the kid on the phone didn't sound like he'd have answers. Waiting to see if there's info in the box when it returns, but mostly I'm just looking forward to having it back and usable. 

My new S22 tires arrived yesterday and I'm itching to try them out.

Weird, my Hyperpro shock also blew its seal when my VFR had the SC. I removed it from the bike and had it rebuilt by Hyperpro in Netherlands after which I sold it to a friend of Roy’s in Australia…

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Of course, no bike does. But, that doesn't mean I don't like having it.

Touring bikes need a center stand. 😉

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I too have a SSSA stand but they don't work well if you work on the arm or shock 😂😂 

Sorry away from home at the moment so can't check which year stand it was & was a long time ago, but it is documented on this site in my build threads. 

The adaptor has survived a 3 ferry trips where bikes are strapped down over the seat on their side stand. So pretty happy its strong enough. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I too have a SSSA stand but they don't work well if you work on the arm or shock 😂😂 

Sorry away from home at the moment so can't check which year stand it was & was a long time ago, but it is documented on this site in my build threads. 

The adaptor has survived a 3 ferry trips where bikes are strapped down over the seat on their side stand. So pretty happy its strong enough. 

14 hours ago, arrow said:

Weird, my Hyperpro shock also blew its seal when my VFR had the SC. I removed it from the bike and had it rebuilt by Hyperpro in Netherlands after which I sold it to a friend of Roy’s in Australia…

That is weird... it feels good and fresh after a rebuild though!

On 7/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, SEBSPEED said:

My shock was returned yesterday, and I installed it this morning along with a CBR600F3 dogbone link.

The dogbone link is 5mm shorter than the stock VFR part, and has resulted in 1.7º steeper swingarm angle. It also makes my rear tire touch the ground when I put the bike on the centerstand... more to come on whether I've rendered the stand useless... 

I lost over 50lb in the last year, so I had Traxxion install a 1200lb spring vs the 1300lb I had on there. With regard to their warranty and customer service, I am happy. Traxxion took my shock in, rebuilt it with new Ohlins seal head, installed the new spring & dyno tested it, then returned it to me for a total of $45 (the cost of the Ohlins seal head). They turned it around in a few days.

I don't like to change so many things at once, but timing is a little tight (again) as I'm heading to TN end of this week for a return trip with my son. 

I'm going to do a test hop with the old tires in a few, then pull both wheels so I can pop those S22's on for the trip. 

So, the shock felt better on my test ride, although still not quite as good as it was before. I was hoping that was due to the tires being worn, but after fitting the new S22's it still did not feel right. Turn-in was lacking and the rear was compressing too much under acceleration. This made the handling suffer especially when exiting corners.

So, out with the new and in with the old... A real shame as the gloss red 1200lb spring was a better match for my red paint, but oh well. 

20230726_213502.jpg

20230726_214441.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
On 7/27/2023 at 2:28 AM, Mohawk said:

Same problem, and I was using a  apiece of wood under the c-stand. I did recently ditch the cstand all together but could also use a slightly longer side-stand.

• Member Contributer

Just did some revision. I need to look for the picks for my adaptor. But identified the stand as CBR1000RR 2008-2011 like this on the bay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195911368381?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=VnpY0C4WT52&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=XZIc7kTyQ3G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'll try to dig up the adapter details. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bmart said:

That giant case needs to hang off a bit!

It was mostly empty, so not too bad. I only mounted it to use the backrest for a 2up ride, it's off again now. 

Screenshot_20230801_131704_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

So after some digging, it appears all my early threads appear to have evaporated from this site. So a bit of digging I found some picks from August 2014. I cut the adapter from a chunk of billet 6061 I had knocking about. Measurements are in mm on the diagram. You need to trim a little off the bottom of the left fairing panel to make this fit. 

IMG_0211.thumb.jpeg.1716c3639bbd9f2f6a12431c20a1eba7.jpeg

IMG_0210.thumb.jpeg.f2d2723c8ae05a2391c8374887e8d476.jpeg

IMG_0207.thumb.jpeg.e8dd2c7ed80a526ddd3e5d4f308ab9b7.jpegIMG_0212.thumb.jpeg.da8373e411022d5c3b7a20e8870e0386.jpeg

IMG_0215.thumb.jpeg.e81ff4095b369530bf9ef902240add0a.jpeg

IMG_0214.thumb.jpeg.795178858b1aa052cb005fc6cd257bf2.jpeg

IMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.1d104f4a9691932e2e391694fb75b6fb.jpeg

IMG_0217.thumb.jpeg.67cf4e846d081c589f1c2c8499016acf.jpeg

IMG_0216.thumb.jpeg.2a153091531c7ef0a522b6b0f27bf7b4.jpeg

IMG_0223.thumb.jpeg.d5dcebdf436daf825ee096f633bf7747.jpeg

IMG_0220.thumb.jpeg.d73f129d95afbbac8213b7d7107fc9d6.jpeg

IMG_0219.thumb.jpeg.81b2a3a3f8f6ba0a8731ed6f5d01b19c.jpeg

IMG_0224.thumb.jpeg.67450d53c23bee32838b45526aceeb10.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Interesting, thanks. Did you try fitting the CBR stand to the VFR bracket first?

I was able to fit the cbr1000 side stand directly to the vfr bracket. The only other thing i wanted was the cut off switch which i also had to use from the cbr. As far as i can remember it mounted up easily. If it took a shim or two, if i could figure it out, it will not be a problem for you Seb. Recently had to purchase a new side stand as the alloy cbr stand foot wears from repeated use on payment.

I used one from a 2014 cbr1000sp thinking i may be the tallest option. i think it was $125-150ish new for the stand and switch.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Thank you

Did you measure the length vs the stock side stand? It would be nice to know

Ive got it, ill let you know.

15mm, and it has half as much movement outward after contact with the ground