2004 VFR fell over and oil leaked out - Crankcase cover replacement needed?

Phongeer

Hi all,

Looking for some wisdom. 

My 2004 VFR is at a friends home, it's been crazy windy lately and it was blown over. 

The pic shows the damage. 

I've looked through the service manual and done some searching online. 

1. Is this the crankcase cover? I believe it is but need confirmation from people smarter than me!

2. In your experience, is the crack where the oil leaked from? 

3. Is this something a not super mechanically inclined person (me) can fix? 

I've found new covers online for around $300. 

I haven't looked yet for used, but will be looking.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Wayne

IMG_0068.jpeg

• Member Contributer

It's cracked....so yes, it needs replacing.  Check on Partzilla or RonAyers websites for replacement.

9 minutes ago, mello dude said:

It's cracked....so yes, it needs replacing.  Check on Partzilla or RonAyers websites for replacement.

mello dude - thanks for replying. 

To be clear, the crack is the reason for the oil leaking out, correct? (Apologize for asking a realistically dumb question!)

Any sense if this is a reasonably simple fix? Seems like it's a gasket, bolts and a "new" case cover. 

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Hi again...... yeah, it will leak... 

Let's see new cover and gasket. 

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f5b1f870021c54be7bbb/alternator

That is the stator cover and its a bit tricky to replace. The stator is magnatized and tough to get on straight. 

Best solution is go to the hardware store and buy 4 or 5, (6mm x 35mm)  long bolts and cut off the head to use as guide pins. 

Like this... 

i-wtGsJgc-M.jpg

I like to use a gasket sealant on the job, although some guys here will argue against that.

Got any tools or a buddy for help?

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Mello,

Isn't that the sight glass on the clutch cover?  

You might be right.. .cant tell from the photo... 

Left side or right side dude?

22 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Hi again...... yeah, it will leak... 

Let's see new cover and gasket. 

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f5b1f870021c54be7bbb/alternator

That is the stator cover and its a bit tricky to replace. The stator is magnatized and tough to get on straight. 

Best solution is go to the hardware store and buy 4 or 5, (6mm x 35mm)  long bolts and cut off the head to use as guide pins. 

Like this... 

i-wtGsJgc-M.jpg

I like to use a gasket sealant on the job, although some guys here will argue against that.

Got any tools or a buddy for help?

Sorry, to be clear, I believe this is the part on my moto that needs replacing: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f5b1f870021c54be7bb8/right-crankcase-cover

Am I correct? 

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.54.59 PM.png

• Member Contributer

JB Weld would fix it fine forever (done with regularity at the track), but if I were going to replace it, I'd get an aftermarket one that is a lot tougher. 

• Member Contributer

I've had no problems sealing those cracks with AlumiWeld. Liquid Steel or epoxy like JB Weld would also work. Best to get layer on inside and all way through crack so it forms an I shape.

• Member Contributer

Oh yeah, that crack will definitely leak.......

You are going to have a hard time finding a used one, and if you do, be aware many went for conversions to an open window...... check that out, and maybe talk to Seb to see if he can still convert yours.... I can't see the full extent of your damage....

You could epoxy it, but  maybe someone would weld it??  Epoxy is OK if done right, you got some prep to do.....

As for painting it, proper prep of course, but I used Krylon paint, and once it set up, I popped it into an oven at 200 degrees for an hour.  Came out nice, and is durable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, bmart said:

JB Weld would fix it fine forever (done with regularity at the track), but if I were going to replace it, I'd get an aftermarket one that is a lot tougher. 

bmart, thanks for the reply and the wisdom!

On 1/24/2022 at 4:04 PM, DannoXYZ said:

I've had no problems sealing those cracks with AlumiWeld. Liquid Steel or epoxy like JB Weld would also work. Best to get layer on inside and all way through crack so it forms an I shape.

DannonXYZ, thanks for the reply and wisdom! 

On 1/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, raYzerman said:

Oh yeah, that crack will definitely leak.......

You are going to have a hard time finding a used one, and if you do, be aware many went for conversions to an open window...... check that out, and maybe talk to Seb to see if he can still convert yours.... I can't see the full extent of your damage....

You could epoxy it, but  maybe someone would weld it??  Epoxy is OK if done right, you got some prep to do.....

As for painting it, proper prep of course, but I used Krylon paint, and once it set up, I popped it into an oven at 200 degrees for an hour.  Came out nice, and is durable.

rayZerman, thanks for the reply. I like the idea of welding it. I have a buddy who can help.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, vfrcapn said:

'98 to '09 VFR800 bikes all used the same cover I believe, in case you were going to look for a used one.

vfrcapn, thanks for the reply! Super helpful if welding it doesn't work. 

1 hour ago, Phongeer said:

rayZerman, thanks for the reply. I like the idea of welding it. I have a buddy who can help.

Just to be clear actually welding a magnesium case cover is not an option. 
JB Weld is metal two part epoxy but it’s still just a glue fix on a main case.

Temporary at best to get you back from a trip

Changing the case is your best option especially since it looks cracked to one of the bolt holes. Don’t waste the effort and do it right the first time. 

just my take 

• Member Contributer

They are cast aluminum.

But I agree.  Fix it right and get a new-to-you used cover.   If you're taking the cover off to "repair', just install a good one.

JB Weld holds until it doesn't.  I don't wanna be half way to anywhere and have it fail, even just a little.

My take.

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Just to be clear actually welding a magnesium case cover is not an option.

Negative... according to Dow Chemical Magnesium alloys can be joined by gas... TIG... electric
resistance spot... seam or butt welding...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

JB Weld is metal two part epoxy but it’s still just a glue fix on a main case.

I agree... JB Weld is an epoxy patch in search of a final fix...

30 minutes ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Negative... according to Dow Chemical Magnesium alloys can be joined by gas... TIG... electric
resistance spot... seam or butt welding...

Not at 99% of most welders skill level.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Not at 99% of most welders skill level.

Skillfully speaking if you can weld aluminum you can weld magnesium...

Archived