Jump to content

Last of V4 Sport Tourers


Recommended Posts

As much as I hate to say it I think the current 8th gen will be the last of the V4 Sport tourers from Honda.

With electric bikes coming in and Europe practically wanting to ban motorcycles outright the future looks bleak.

ADV bikes are not for me. These VFRs just make all the right noises.

I'll be honest I can go out and buy any  bike out there but the VFR checks off all the right boxes for me from looks to engine to handling.

Its an all day sport bike for me.

These 8th gens are keepers and I'm glad I snagged one. 

One of my last rides last year was with an Aprilia V4, Ducati V4 streetfighter and Panigale V2. We rode for 3 hours in the twisty rural roads and the VFR performed like a champ.

I know for sure after that ride my body was the least fatigued. LOL

I'm not saying I will never sell it but the question is what could I buy to replace it. Currently nothing out there for me.

Looking forward to the 2022 riding Season.

Cheers.

20210919_104944.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

I'm wondering will 8th gens be future collectors if this is true and there are no more Viffers? 

 

Can't imagine Honda will invest money in making the VFR engine Euro-6 compliant so close to the date when so many countries have promised to stop selling petrol/diesel engined vehicles. 😢

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say that they will be much sought after.

Its arguably the  best vfr of all reliability wise, handling and braking

Looks are subjective but she is modern looking and will never age.

It still looks like it just was introduced.

Coming from a RWB 25th Which is a looker.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

Despite currently owning two of them, I'm not a big VFR fan. I chose the 5th gens because they started to "de-VFR" them after that. I rented an '05 in New Zealand and it was truly one of the worst bikes I've ever ridden. The VTEC was dreadful and made the bike dangerous in any amount of standing water. As the years went on I saw things like "boys in the hood" gold parts which dragged down the brand. Then they removed gear driven cams. Then the 1200... for me, it all ended in 2001. I recommend newer ones to friends, but I don't think I'd own one. If memory serves, they added electonics too...which I despise on a motorbike more than in a car. I'm sure that the later ones are really great bikes to own and ride, but I wish they called them something else...

 

The R/W/B are gorgeous, as are the earlier and later white models. Visually, nearly all of the family look pretty great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is your problem with the 1200?

 

1 hour ago, bmart said:

Despite currently owning two of them, I'm not a big VFR fan. I chose the 5th gens because they started to "de-VFR" them after that. I rented an '05 in New Zealand and it was truly one of the worst bikes I've ever ridden. The VTEC was dreadful and made the bike dangerous in any amount of standing water. As the years went on I saw things like "boys in the hood" gold parts which dragged down the brand. Then they removed gear driven cams. Then the 1200... for me, it all ended in 2001. I recommend newer ones to friends, but I don't think I'd own one. If memory serves, they added electonics too...which I despise on a motorbike more than in a car. I'm sure that the later ones are really great bikes to own and ride, but I wish they called them something else...

 

The R/W/B are gorgeous, as are the earlier and later white models. Visually, nearly all of the family look pretty great. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

To me, it isn't visually appealing at all. If memory serves, they tried the CBR1000 and maybe the 300 like that for a short bit. People who have them seem to love them, but it isn't my bag. I much prefer the styling of things like the VTR250, FJ1200, GS700ES. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

I would say that they will be much sought after.

Its arguably the  best vfr of all reliability wise, handling and braking

Looks are subjective but she is modern looking and will never age.

It still looks like it just was introduced.

Coming from a RWB 25th Which is a looker.

 

 

I think only the 2014 & 2015 years of the 8th gen were sold in the US, is it the same for Canada or did you guys get additional years of the 8th gen up north? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, VifferJ said:

 

I think only the 2014 & 2015 years of the 8th gen were sold in the US, is it the same for Canada or did you guys get additional years of the 8th gen up north? 

 

Just 2014 and 2015 here in Canada. A rare bird indeed.

BTW: I called a dealer last summer to get a quote on something and the parts guy (Sounded in his 20s) didn't know what a VFR was.  I say what. LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

For me the canary in the mine predicting the V4s ultimate demise was at the last bike show I attended in 2014.  Honda had a booth, but no VFR and the reps knew nothing about it - only vaguely familiar with it.  I should have paid closer attention then . . . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly, I'd always read that out of the various engine configurations a V4 was the most expensive to build.  (Probably the most complex, too.)  Makes sense to me, and I'm sure it's one reason they continue to be rare.  These days it seems only higher end Ducatis and Aprilias get a V4.  If there are other makes featuring this engine I'm unaware of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
On 1/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, Skids said:

 

Can't imagine Honda will invest money in making the VFR engine Euro-6 compliant so close to the date when so many countries have promised to stop selling petrol/diesel engined vehicles. 😢

 

And the World Economic Forum billionaires will be laughing at us all the way to the bank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Presson said:

Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but is this a great example of the last V4 ( especially for those of us not lucky enough to own or afford an RC45)

29e2950d536049e8aa8c468fc469a831.jpg

That is an amazing colorway  I luv it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.