Need New Tires

Bor

Michelin Power RS, I love them, amazing! 5-6K km from them. Great sharp handling, grip without compromise...

But I would like to try new ones, Power 5

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

For me, Michelin Pilot Roads can't be beat.  The latest - Road 5 - is the best so far.  Great grip, and wears really nicely.  I've got a long ride to any good roads, and these tires stay pretty round (amazingly round) right to the end.   I've gone through about 11 sets on this bike, and the other one I've tried on this bike (Dunlop Roadsmarts 3)  don't compare (for me). 

• Member Contributer

I recently fitted Pilot Road 4 GT's to my ST1300 and really like the light steering feel and good bump absorption. Better than the BT-023 tyres I had previously. I have Metzeler Roadtec 01s on my VTR1000 and had those on my VFR800, very neutral steering and comfy but perhaps not as fast steering as the Michelins. All have given much more grip than I know what to do with. 

• Member Contributer

Trying out a mixed set of Perelli Angel GT rear and Diablo Rosso 3 up front. So far just commuting they feel amazing and cornering and feedback is super light side to side and confidence inspiring. I may do a trackday with them March 8 at Chuckwalla. Also just had my Penski Shock rebuilt by Jaimie Daugherty at DMr Suspension. Best this bike has ever felt.

I just came off the Dunlop RS3 rear w Q3 front. They did really well but rear wore flat down the center. A sure sign I was workin too much and never playing.

• Member Contributer

On my 4th set of Metzeller Roadtec 1's on my 800 and will be replacing the rather old set of PR4's with Roadtec 1's on my 1200.

I understand the MP Road5 GT is for heavier tour bikes, would my VFR be better suited with the GT's as far as longevity?  I already ran though my front MP R5... (NOT GT)...

• Member Contributer

Road 4's and 5's are great, as well as the Angel GT's which seem to have the best feedback and grip of all of them. I mount and balance my own tires, and all my friends come over to do theirs. They leave me any half-used tires they change out, and I had an unlimited supply of sport bike tires for summer use.  S21's, S22's,  Q3's, Q3+'s, and even an unused Bridgestone racing (BT16?) rear tire, which I destroyed it in 850 miles....

The sport tires work well on the 1200, but do not last long at all. When buying new, I will stick with sport touring, for longevity, and if the current trend continues, I will only need to buy them for winter time, which is not long here in CA.... 

Ok so maybe my question was too vague.  I'm currently using front and rear pilot road 5's.  The front is toast...should I replace it with the pilot road 5 "GT."  Or, would the regular non "GT" road 5 for-sport bikes be more applicable in my case.  Does the VFR in others experience and knowledge fall into the heavier sport tour catergories like the FJR which would definitely use the GT?

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Bigdan said:

Ok so maybe my question was too vague.  I'm currently using front and rear pilot road 5's.  The front is toast...should I replace it with the pilot road 5 "GT."  Or, would the regular non "GT" road 5 for-sport bikes be more applicable in my case.  Does the VFR in others experience and knowledge fall into the heavier sport tour catergories like the FJR which would definitely use the GT?

No “GT” version on a VFR, ever. That’s meant for heavy stuff like FJR, BMW, ST11/13, etc.

• Member Contributer

Others have run them, they have stiffer sidewalls, and maybe a slightly tougher compound. Personally I think they would be overkill unless you were doing a two-up trip with luggage.

For reference, the FJ is 650+ lbs, and the Connie, and ST are both over 700lbs. The big BMW's are in that range as well. The VFR1200 is 593 fully fueled....(non DCT)

Archived