The dreaded valve adjustment

lazyeye

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, CoyoteChris said:

My take  on all of this is when I carefully set the easy to get to screw adjusters on my Yamaha 650 twins/ Honda 350 Twins back in the 1970s,, they did change a bit but not much. Those were air cooled engines. Made with materials and techniques from the last century.  My Yamaha 1980 XV920RH was air cooled but by then the setting didnt change much.

Then I got a 1983 Gold wing which has the easiest valves to set just about in the universe. Water cooled. They hardly ever changed. Metals and manufacturing were getting better all the time. I rode that sucker for 16 years.  

Awesome... I've got one of those in the basement I'm going to get into one of these years... 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Saoirse said:

This thread reminds me why I don't bother much with forums anymore🤔

Hi Saoirse. Bit of a shame you feel this way. Personally I have found this thread to be incredibly informative. Disregard the passionate fors and against, just look at all the valuable info put forward by some very experienced people, there is a lot of good statistical info that will help you make your own decision.

I had my own feelings regarding a modern day 8gen valve clearance check and this thread has definitely helped me in deciding to do the check OR not. 

There is great info embedded in this thread, just seek it out and use it.

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I only know of 1 VTEC engine that blew up in the 20+ years I follows VFRs.... 

Turned out that the PO never changed the oil in over 50,000 miles.

The new owner took the bike onto German Autobahns (which have no speed limit) for a whole day blasting....

Bought my 4th Gen VFR750 in 1997 which included a "service" i.e. oil change after 1000km.

At the prescribed interval, went to the dealer for the valve check. He asked if I liked burning banknotes.......   They'd openeed quite a few VFR engines, never ever to find any outside spec.

at 90,000km's my VFR was in the hands of a  VFR guru mechanic to try fit a 3rd gen left exhaust (FAIL) so we decided to check the valves just for fun. ONE  of 16 was just a tad too wide out of spec. ONE.

With a used engine say $300 it is not worth paying a stealer 700+ for a check   

Why are VFR engines so cheap? cos they rarely if ever break.

My VF500F2 has screw adjustors and clearances get checked every 6-8000km's. Why?  Cos TheDutchy has nice coffee, we kick tyres, talk petrol while we change the oil and just want to be sure. VF's have a reputation of being handgrenades..... So far mine is doing great at 77,000kms. 

Recently, only after 30,000km did the wee VF need 1 adjusted  just a tad. (bought her at ~45,000)

Imho, spend your money on some nice leather pants (PICTURES PLEASE :goofy:)  or on rider training classes. Or a -beginners- track day (PICTURES PLEASE :goofy:)

YMMV

That is the thing right there. All in a nutshell. The whole enchilada.  In fact, the extreamly low cost of the bike is why I have one. I was between trips and stopped off at one of my local Honda dealers. He had two each used 2014 VFR Ds for sale. both with the same milage. 16,000.  An Aussie couple had to leave the states quite suddenly and wanted the dealer, who is a personal friend, to sell their bikes. I think they are still there. Not a mark on them and the dealer did the 16 k service...at least the fluids looked clear...I didnt see any marks on the valve cover bolts I could actually feel.  I think the dealer showed me a print out that the service would have cost north of $850. Anyway, I rode one and fell in love with it.  The tires were OK but I asked what his lowest price was with new tires. $7,000. I went on my next tour, this time camping and riding the continuous curves of Central Idaho, thinking my XT was really cool but it would also be cool to take this trip on the VFR. I came home, had my second dealer find me a new 2015, and bought it.  Heck, you can get 6 of them (standards) in Texas for $7,000 each new. 

How many $100 dollar bills are you willing to burn on a bike that in three years will loose 3-4 thousand in value anyway?  Its a wonderful bike. I dont feel bad at all about trading in my Honda NT for it. At the NT rally this year in Spearfish SD there were only 3 NTs left. All my friends who showed up were on other bikes.  We have moved on and enjoy the NT forum for sure and still do. And all the wonderful helpful people on it and the European NT forum....but at some point even a great bike becomes a bit of an old shoe... I look forward to wearing THIS  old shoe for quite awhile....doing lots of oil and filter and fluid changes (the dealer wants $240 to change the oil at 600 miles and adjust the chain 😜) and having fun. 

RIP NT, You are a great pack horse. I hope someone who gets you appreciates you and those 8 years I had riding you around the American west.....And all the wonderful friends I made on your forum....but Hello VFR!. 

A nt 2.JPG

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Saoirse. Bit of a shame you feel this way. Personally I have found this thread to be incredibly informative. Disregard the passionate fors and against, just look at all the valuable info put forward by some very experienced people, there is a lot of good statistical info that will help you make your own decision.

I had my own feelings regarding a modern day 8gen valve clearance check and this thread has definitely helped me in deciding to do the check OR not. 

Very true. We have two guys from down under on the NT forum who are very nice to just chat with about anything but just about everyone there plays well with others and respects others opinions. Some like me camp 30-35 days a year and some you couldnt get into a tent for anything. But we all enjoy each other and respect everyone's views. There is good  info on most forums and some things that are just out there....they (forums)  seem to be all different...I hope to find some folk on THIS forum who will share their knowledge with a newbie as fast as we share it with newbies on the NT forum. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, CoyoteChris said:

Very true. We have two guys from down under on the NT forum who are very nice to just chat with about anything but just about everyone there plays well with others and respects others opinions. Some like me camp 30-35 days a year and some you couldnt get into a tent for anything. But we all enjoy each other and respect everyone's views. There is good  info on most forums and some things that are just out there....they (forums)  seem to be all different...I hope to find some folk on THIS forum who will share their knowledge with a newbie as fast as we share it with newbies on the NT forum. 

All things considered, there is a lot of useful info available on this forum and people are usually pretty helpful. Unfortunately, we occasionally get bogged down disagreeing on minor things, but don't let that discourage you. If you have a question, the answer will generally show up here sooner or later. More often than not, it was already asked and answered ten years ago though the pictures are often long gone...

The biggest trouble doing valves is getting all the stuff off the bike. It’s a perfect time to send injectors out for cleaning, and access the coolant cross pipes to make sure their gaskets aren’t knackered. The valves themselves are easy to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

All things considered, there is a lot of useful info available on this forum and people are usually pretty helpful. Unfortunately, we occasionally get bogged down disagreeing on minor things, but don't let that discourage you. If you have a question, the answer will generally show up here sooner or later. More often than not, it was already asked and answered ten years ago though the pictures are often long gone...

Thank you. I am sure you are correct. I am retired and have no free time but I will make some time for this forum in a bit and check out its layout.  I have a bunch of questions about farkles, specifically wind screens and lip devices.  Every forum is different. The StromTroopers forum is full of a bunch of great people as is the FJR forum and the NT forum, especially.  I look forward to getting folk's opinions on all sorts of things VFR. Like the FJR, I admired it from afar for a long time and then decided I wasnt getting any younger and I could have only maybe as little as 8 years of riding left.  It time to try the VFR. But first, I have to load up the FJR and head for nine days of camping at the Reno Naional Air races. I always enjoy riding through central Oregon and through the mountains of N. California to get there and back.  

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, ScottieDucati said:

The biggest trouble doing valves is getting all the stuff off the bike. It’s a perfect time to send injectors out for cleaning, and access the coolant cross pipes to make sure their gaskets aren’t knackered. The valves themselves are easy to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I watched this vid of the valve adj.  It is clear that the VTEC system on this bike is entirely different than the Vtec system on other Honda machines like my CRV.  Am I right in assuming this vid says the Vtec works on one intake AND one exhaust valve per cylinder?  I will look for a youtube vid explaining how the VFR Vtec system works. Below is a basic vid on how the CRV Vtec works. Is a good review of how an engine works, actually. The first vid is very annoying but what are you going to do?

• Member Contributer
On 8/23/2019 at 10:47 PM, Dutchy said:

PS: the rest of the service (oil, coolant, hydraulic fluid, sparks) any compentent mechanic SHOULD be able to do.

Or do it yourself (for the fun of it)

Hey, Ever use speed bleeders?  I love those and put them on all my bikes. Makes changing clutch and brake fluid a breeze. 

Yes, I  change the oil more than necessary. I do. It makes me feel good. And change the antifreeze with the Correct stuff. Every three years. I am not a person that believes in the 21st century in flushing or getting every last drop of the old stuff out. Take out what you can easily and put good stuff in.

I wish I had a dime for every dime my aircraft mechanic training has saved me working on my own vehicles. Hey, wait a minute... I DO!🤣

Quote: Honda Owners Manual. "Have your dealer adjust your chain" 🤣

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, CoyoteChris said:

Hey, Ever use speed bleeders?  I love those and put them on all my bikes. Makes changing clutch and brake fluid a breeze. 

Yes, I  change the oil more than necessary. I do. It makes me feel good. And change the antifreeze with the Correct stuff. Every three years. I am not a person that believes in the 21st century in flushing or getting every last drop of the old stuff out. Take out what you can easily and put good stuff in.

I wish I had a dime for every dime my aircraft mechanic training has saved me working on my own vehicles. Hey, wait a minute... I DO!🤣

Quote: Honda Owners Manual. "Have your dealer adjust your chain" 🤣

The brakes are another peculiar system on the VFR... one of those things the engineers just wouldn't stop designing. There are a LOT of bleeders and brake lines on these bikes and bleeding is a bit of a chore. Not trying to discourage you... it's no more difficult than anything else in the end, just more time consuming. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

The brakes are another peculiar system on the VFR... one of those things the engineers just wouldn't stop designing. There are a LOT of bleeders and brake lines on these bikes and bleeding is a bit of a chore. Not trying to discourage you... it's no more difficult than anything else in the end, just more time consuming. 

A little bit off topic:offtopic:. But the 8gen brake bleed is a piece of cake!:fing02:

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, Grum said:

A little bit off topic:offtopic:. But the 8gen brake bleed is a piece of cake!:fing02:

Well... that's a solid improvement... As for going off-topic, I'm pretty sure this one was beyond salvage by page two! May as well ride it out!

• Member Contributer
On 8/24/2019 at 3:33 AM, Grum said:

This thread is informative.  However, this forum, was at one time, exponentially more active with many more members on TMAC rides that included 60 members or more.  It is in a state of decline I suspect because the owner and mods are just letting it fade along with VFR's in the States.  Just my opinion.  I really don't care because there are many other motorcycles out there that are very nice and I have other hobbies and means of transportation that I like just as much as VFR riding.   

43 minutes ago, Bent said:

It is in a state of decline I suspect because the owner and mods are just letting it fade along with VFR's in the States.

I think pretty much all forums like this are in decline to some extent, their user-base swallowed up by Reddit and Facebook groups.

• Member Contributer

First let me state I my only experience with VFRs is fifth gens.

My first VFR purchased had 4000 miles on it. I put approximately 70,000 more miles on it before it seemed to be running a little rough. I brought it to my Very Reliable Honda dealer (Honda Town in Minneapolis) and they suggested a valve adjustment. So I had them do it and the machine returned to the Swiss Watch smoothness I'd first experienced with the young machine. So a valve adjustment was called for. Subsequent fifth gens I've owned never became rough-running like my first.

My current ride was purchased with 10,715 miles on it. Just for drill, and because I had extra cash at the time, I had my valves checked at ~ 46,000. All valves were within specifications. Thus my philosophy is that unless it is running roughly no valve check is necessary. After all, these machines are so finely engineered, they can almost run forever.

That first 2001 had 105,000+ miles on it when it was KIA'd by my first deer hit. I'd changed my oil just before that trip and sent a sample to be analyzed. The report is in my picture gallery. I'd done my oil changes loosely following the recommended oil changes at 8,000 mile intervals. Once I'd gone 10,000 miles between oil changes. The oil sent for analysis showed below normal engine wear. Their statement at the end of the evaluation said "Nice Bike!" 

This reinforced my opinion that Honda has produced an exceptionally engineered machine made to go the distance in all senses of the word.

Hopefully Your Mileage May Not Vary. :wub:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

First let me state I my only experience with VFRs is fifth gens.

My first VFR purchased had 4000 miles on it. I put approximately 70,000 more miles on it before it seemed to be running a little rough. I brought it to my Very Reliable Honda dealer (Honda Town in Minneapolis) and they suggested a valve adjustment. So I had them do it and the machine returned to the Swiss Watch smoothness I'd first experienced with the young machine. So a valve adjustment was called for. Subsequent fifth gens I've owned never became rough-running like my first.

My current ride was purchased with 10,715 miles on it. Just for drill, and because I had extra cash at the time, I had my valves checked at ~ 46,000. All valves were within specifications. Thus my philosophy is that unless it is running roughly no valve check is necessary. After all, these machines are so finely engineered, they can almost run forever.

That first 2001 had 105,000+ miles on it when it was KIA'd by my first deer hit. I'd changed my oil just before that trip and sent a sample to be analyzed. The report is in my picture gallery. I'd done my oil changes loosely following the recommended oil changes at 8,000 mile intervals. Once I'd gone 10,000 miles between oil changes. The oil sent for analysis showed below normal engine wear. Their statement at the end of the evaluation said "Nice Bike!" 

This reinforced my opinion that Honda has produced an exceptionally engineered machine made to go the distance in all senses of the word.

Hopefully Your Mileage May Not Vary. :wub:

So, if it isn't showing symptoms, don't fix it.  MaxSwell has put some miles on VFR's and experience counts with me.  

Archived