Need help deciding if I should switch to a VFR

14thumper

51 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

The low mileage Interceptor that's over by me is in white.  You might want to call and get the specifics on it - price, mileage, etc.

Thank you for the tip!  I did check on that one but it's a standard.  I think everyone here convinced me to park a Deluxe in my garage.  I like the red, nothing wrong with it.  Although, it seems to be a little orange in pictures but I haven't seen one in person so I can't really judge.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, 14thumper said:

Thank you for the tip!  I did check on that one but it's a standard.  I think everyone here convinced me to park a Deluxe in my garage.  I like the red, nothing wrong with it.  Although, it seems to be a little orange in pictures but I haven't seen one in person so I can't really judge.

It has gone a bit toward orange.

Interestingly, when I was checking out Ducatis at the IMS a couple of years ago, some of them started going a bit orange too.

Not nearly as orange as what Shoei has been referring to as red this year and last.

A couple of years ago even the Techwick t-shirts that EMS was billing as red were so orange that I returned them.

• Member Contributer

Life is too short to ride bikes that don't inspire passion.  The V4 does that in a way that other bikes simply can't match and I am willing to forgive it for lack of outright speed, corner carving, and touring capabilities in comparison to more focused machines in each of those categories.  The beauty of the VFR is its jack of all trades nature lifted even higher with aftermarket support to help you meet your needs with farkles to improve capability in any of those categories (some provided by VFRD forum members).  Want more power?  Supercharge it.  Want more touring?  Add Heli-bars or LSL bar risers, peg lowering kit, MRA X-creen.  Want to carve corners?  Multiple suspension upgrade options are available.  I have chosen a combination that suits my needs and I'm sure you will, too, as long as you don't set unrealistic expectations.  If the heavy clutch pull is a deal breaker, you may not be happy with it, but I'm sure somebody has re-worked the clutch master cylinder to solve this problem, too.  If not, somebody probably will if you ask around.

• Member Contributer
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:42 PM, Rambler358 said:

There is no Helibars option for the 8th gen currently.  Best option right now is one of the bar riser options Motopumps has.  I've got the 1.25" risers, and they're great for me.

Or the 800X Crossrunner (I am aware it is not available in the US) which is the same engine but longer/softer suspension and adventure-style ergonomics & seating position.

I went down to Southern California and picked up a new leftover '14 Interceptor Deluxe on Monday.  The ride back (425 miles) was uneventful and actually fairly enjoyable.  Not quite as good as the FJR I used to have for freeway riding but really good for what the bike is IMO.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!  Your willingness to help out a VFR newbie actually played a role in my decision to buy one.

6 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

Congrats!  What dealer in SoCal did you get it from?

I picked it up from Mountain Motorsports in Ontario.  They made it fairly easy for me although I had to remind them it comes with the seat cowl and I also had to wait for them to find the battery cover.  I got a 4 year warranty extension through Honda as well.

IMG_0184.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 12/24/2016 at 2:42 PM, Rambler358 said:

There is no Helibars option for the 8th gen currently.  Best option right now is one of the bar riser options Motopumps has.  I've got the 1.25" risers, and they're great for me.

Heli Bar is currently working on them.  Hopefully in 2017?

• Member Contributer

Heli bar posted something out to their customers looking for a test mule to mock up the bars.  This was several months ago now.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, 14thumper said:

I picked it up from Mountain Motorsports in Ontario.  They made it fairly easy for me although I had to remind them it comes with the seat cowl and I also had to wait for them to find the battery cover.  I got a 4 year warranty extension through Honda as well.

IMG_0184.JPG

She's a beauty Thumper!  You'll be glad you got the deluxe.

A couple quick questions....

1. I want to order the quick shifter but I see two parts #'s.  Does it matter which I order?  Is one a newer version?

2. I removed the lower left side fairing to have a look and noticed some coolant leaked.  Is this a common known issue with a brand new Interceptor or should I take it into the dealer (ugh, hate them touching my bikes...)?  I have pics below, coolant level appears ok in reservoir.

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Nelix said:

Take it back, ask them to fit the quickshifter labour free to compensate you for the hassle.

I like the cut of this man's jib!   :beer:

Update, I checked with my local dealer and they felt the host clamps were simply a little loose so I tightened them up, cleaned the area and I'll keep an eye on it.

Anyone know about the quick shifter?  Which part # should I order between the two?

• Member Contributer

i'm no mechanic, but that lower hose nearest the residue looks askew and not clamped properly to the pipe .

it also looks like the leak is coming from the gasket connection between the two metal parts  

Archived