Need help deciding if I should switch to a VFR

14thumper

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Cruise Control?

Since when was cruise control a factory option on the VFR?

I think Rambler is saying that it should be an option. In which I agree as it is a part touring bike

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

No I was referring to Blazerdman's earlier post where he indicated cruise control was on the 8th gen VFR.

I'm confused:wacko:, u do or don't have the option for OEM cruise control? 

3 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Cruise Control?

Since when was cruise control a factory option on the VFR?

It was optional for us in OZ on the deluxe model.

Cruise control,  WT..... really?  smh. I get the tech thing and all,  but when is enough, enough,  bikes should be getting easier and simple,  not more BS,   might as well take the car now, with the top down.   S2000          

If you travel in Louisiana, hours of holding the throttle open and steady is unavoidable. It doesn't add to the experience, just fatigues you and makes it more difficult to adjust once you hit traffic.

46 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

Do you have a web link with more info about this?

I can't find any links, it was offered to me at a Honda dealership when I was contemplating buying one so I assumed it was an optional extra that Honda sold.

1 hour ago, Rambler358 said:

Are you sure it wasn't a throttle lock that he offered you?

He said electronic from memory, but this was 2 years ago so I could be remembering it wrong.

I would love cruise control, doubt it would be offered though.  Maybe someday.  I really appreciate all the feedback.  This forum makes me want to buy the d@$n bike now!  

It's hard to give up my FZ1 but I've had it 5.5 years now.  Still in mint condition and hardly a scratch on it.  But, I keep getting pulled by the V4 and single sided swing arm.  Too bad these suckers aren't liter bikes.  I looked into the side cases and didn't realize they were $1k a set, yikes.  That's probably the standard but the cost to make them must be a lot lower.  Oh well, at least Honda gives the option.

So yeah, I think this might work for rides with the lady (we're talking 75-100 mile dinner rides, round trip mostly) just fine.  I guess I'm trying to balance a nice ride experience for her but also something I'm happy with solo for more touring type stuff that my CB1000R isn't great for. So, for me I think 250 miles will mostly be the limit with an occasional ride of 400-500 miles max.  I rode my FJR from Northern California to Seattle a couple years ago and while that was a fun experience, it became not so fun approximately 50% of the way.  lol

I sold the FJR because she was hardly riding with me and now all the sudden she's interested.  Whatever, it opens the chance for me to buy another new bike.  :)

• Member Contributer
On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:54 PM, Blazerdman said:

The linear respose of the V4 is satisfying to ride, the growl of the pipes (especially with an aftermarket slip on). It's a bike that doesn't require modding especially the Deluxe model, if I ever sell my 02 VFR i'll be buying the deluxe. TC, ABS, heated grips, self cancelling turn signals, cruise control. It's kitted the fuck out as is and yet still weighs some 10 pounds less than my year's VFR. 

Hi Blazerdman.

I've not read, seen or heard of factory fitted cruise to the VFR, I do know there are places that will fit an aftermarket electronic cruise, but to my knowledge there ain't no OEM cruise option. Also in Australia we don't have a choice of the standard or deluxe versions, we only get the deluxe.

3 hours ago, 14thumper said:

But, I keep getting pulled by the V4 and single sided swing arm.  Too bad these suckers aren't liter bikes.  I looked into the side cases and didn't realize they were $1k a set, yikes.  That's probably the standard but the cost to make them must be a lot lower.  Oh well, at least Honda gives the option.

There is the VFR1200.  It is good for 2 up, has the power of a liter bike.  When I was shopping, I looked at the 800, FJR and a few others, but the 1200 fit the bill the best.  Sporty, fast, does 2 up great.  It was a little goldilocks for me, the 800 was too cramped 2 up, the FJR too big for solo sporty riding, and the 1200 seemed just right.

6 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

Phew. I thought I was about to have to order the ECU-A(ustralia) to unlock the factory cruise control.

Hahaha you mean power right?

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 14thumper said:

I looked into the side cases and didn't realize they were $1k a set, yikes.  That's probably the standard but the cost to make them must be a lot lower.  Oh well, at least Honda gives the option.

I might be guilty of being an a-hole about this but, well... only an idiot pays retail.

Yes, the prices for the luggage stuff are insane though, even discounted.  But I'm religiously devoted to getting better prices.

When I bought my 8th gen VFR I negotiated a good price not just for the bike but also for the accessories at signing time.  It was shockingly easy.  For subsequent pricey accessory purchases my practice is to hit the dealer first for fairness and give them a chance to play let's make a deal.  Which they often do by the way.  Otherwise the order goes to the likes of Service Honda, Ron Ayers, Bike Bandit, whatever, whereupon I not only get a discount but often the parts arrive sooner, delivered to my doorstep which saves me on gas and parking, and then there's the sales tax difference.

Anyway if the price tag of the side cases sets you off, you're really gonna crap yourself when you find out what it will cost to install Honda's top case.

When I wrote my review of my VFR it was $980 retail for the side cases and lock bits but the total cost to get the top case on was $1175, plus another $100 if you wanted the backrest and another $25 if you needed pearl white.

12 minutes ago, 14thumper said:

Quick question...

Does the OEM quick shifter only work at full throttle or can it also work under heavy (but not 100%) acceleration?

It works best at full throttle, but will work at any throttle position.  All it's doing is cutting power for a very brief moment to allow the shift to happen.  You tend to really feel the power cut when you use it at small throttle openings, while not at all during full throttle shifts.  As a quickshifter, it works quite well, and is probably worth the cost to most people.

My only real complaint with the quickshifter is the actual shift lever...it gets in the way of the kickstand "actuator" and it doesn't feel the same on your boot (actually hurt my toe the first few times I rode with it).  If you look at a picture of a stock vs quick, you'll see that they are quite different.

Well, I just sold my '09 FZ1 so now there's an open spot in the garage.  I've found a few red Deluxe models around, not much in white though.  I'm ok with the red although really do prefer white.  I'm also noticing that dealers with both are charging more for the white, kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth.

20 minutes ago, 14thumper said:

Well, I just sold my '09 FZ1 so now there's an open spot in the garage.  I've found a few red Deluxe models around, not much in white though.  I'm ok with the red although really do prefer white.  I'm also noticing that dealers with both are charging more for the white, kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth.

The low mileage Interceptor that's over by me is in white.  You might want to call and get the specifics on it - price, mileage, etc.

Archived