Picked up the new bike today!

tom.gessner

So, from today on, I am officially a VFR owner. Picked up my new 2016 bike via trailer today. Eight hours driving through the rain on the Autobahn, but worth it.

0a92300a1120ac129ceabec36ee557fa.jpg

Once my other project (https://t509speedtriple.tumblr.com) is finished, I will start prepping the new VFR for the 2017 season: DAM exhaust, PC-V, radiator guard, Stahlbus oil drain valve...

But for now, I am just tired and happy!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Congrats!  Wish I could take my VFR on the autobahn - although I did get mine up over 130 mph once - lol.  If you don't mind me asking, what is the date of manufacture stamped on the bike's VIN sticker?  And does it say "2016" model on the sticker?  In the USA we only get 2014 and 2015 model year 8th gens so I'm happy to hear that Honda is still making fresh 8th gens although I've yet to see definitive proof of an 8th gen stamped as a 2016 model - hopefully yours will settle this mystery  once and for all.  From the other thread it looks like they're definitely gonna make 2017 models as well, but who knows if those will make it to the USA.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations.  DO put that exhaust on quick!  The 8th gen. has a very heavy muffler and it greatly restricts the engine air flow.  A slip on transforms the bike into a better handling (weight loss) bike and makes it much quicker on the throttle.  

While I agree in changing the exhaust, it is certainly not very heavy.  It only weighs about 10 lbs and most aftermarket cans are maybe half that....a savings of only 5 lbs.  The main reason to change the exhaust on the 8th gen is sound and looks.

• Member Contributer

Gratuliere!!!  :beer:

GatorGreg.....  more and more Autobahns are restricted speed wise...... 

but yes, it is something to experience... 

I did flat out 238kmh/149mph on my 4th gen, but still got cars and bikes racing past me... Need a Busa..... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, duccmann said:

Congrats, is that white or the new greyish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has to be white since the new color is 2017?

Picked up a new 2015 8th gen in late August.  Traded in my 11' Vstrom 650. I am really enjoying the bike ; Akro exhaust, heated grips, comfortable seat, good windscreen, factory colour matched bags.

IMG_0043.JPG

Hi all,

Thanks for all the friendly comments. Spent some time time in the garage today, cleaning the bike from the trip on the trailer yesterday. Really like the build quality and the pearl white color.
@GatorGreg: The bike is a 2016 model (according to the dealer). The german VIN does unfortunately not clearly state the model year.

The exhaust is already on its way from the friendly guys at DAM in Belgium.

• Member Contributer

really german vin# does not say year? that's odd how can you tell later on what it is? on USA vin the 10th digit signals year. a 2016 should have a "G" as 10th digit

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, DriverDave said:

While I agree in changing the exhaust, it is certainly not very heavy.  It only weighs about 10 lbs and most aftermarket cans are maybe half that....a savings of only 5 lbs.  The main reason to change the exhaust on the 8th gen is sound and looks.

It's a matter of opinion.  The 8th gen muffler is very heavy.   

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, tom.gessner said:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the friendly comments. Spent some time time in the garage today, cleaning the bike from the trip on the trailer yesterday. Really like the build quality and the pearl white color.
@GatorGreg: The bike is a 2016 model (according to the dealer). The german VIN does unfortunately not clearly state the model year.

The exhaust is already on its way from the friendly guys at DAM in Belgium.

Thanks Tom, that's very interesting.  On the models imported to the USA we have a sticker stuck to the left side of the frame which has the VIN.  Above the VIN ithe sticker also says it was manufactured by Honda in Japan during a particular month - for example on my bike it says 4/14 which is April of 2014.  Then below the VIN the sticker also says "2014 motorcycle model".

On the USA Honda website it also clearly delineates between 2014 models and 2015 models, but I noticed once while surfing around on the U.K. Honda site, or maybe it was Australia, that they don't make any such distinction for model years.  Does your bike at least have a month/year of manufacture stamped on it?   I'm still suspicious that Honda hasn't actually built a VFR800 in a long time (not counting the new gray painted 2017 models with the Euro4 exhausts) and is still selling off new old stock.

• Member Contributer

Applies to US only.   No sticker on left side of my bike. 

Vin plate riveted on to right frame rail. 

Correct designation for bike is 

2014.   Fe world

2015  FE Europe. USA gets ff and fdf

2016 fe.  Russia gets fg

2017  fh 

There is always a model year on  bikes in the rest of the world.   

Eg vfr 800 vtec went from A2 in 2002 to A9 in 2009  stayed with A9 till 2013 because there were no model updates. Same thing with St1300. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, fink said:

Applies to US only.   No sticker on left side of my bike. 

Vin plate riveted on to right frame rail.

If there's no "model year" stamped on your bike like we have in the USA (which according to the link you posted above may just be a USA Environmental Protection Agency legal mandate for our counrtry) does your bike at least have the "date of manufacture" stamped on it like  we also have in the USA?  It is also found on our VIN sticker - mine says 04/14.  And finally, is there a year printed on the cover of your Owner's Manual?  My USA model has "2014 Owner's Manual" on the cover.

I'm not even sure why I care about this - lol -  but what it's starting to smell like to me is dealers are just trying to sell off old stock by claiming they are "2016" models when in fact they were built during the same exact production run as the bikes sold in USA market as either 2014 or 2015 model year bikes.  My guess is the factory in Japan hasn't churned out a new VFR800 since roughly the summer of 2015, well over a year ago.   Production then went into roughly a year long hiatus in order to allow demand to catch up to supply, and then sometime during the summer of 2016 they recommenced production for what we would call here in the USA the 2017 model year with some tweaks to the exhaust and paint selections.  I will gladly eat my words if anyone can show me definitive proof that a VFR800 was manufactured between September 2015 and August 2016.

This whole thing reminds me of the 1970 Shelby Mustang mystery (see link below) where they were all just rebadged 1969 models.  Apparently we Americans take our official model years very seriously because the rebadging was supposedly done under the supervision of the FBI - lol

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2011/03/1969--70-Shelby-G-T--350---G-T--500/3697051.html

Unfortunately, no direct references to the year the bike fell off the production line.

If anyone is able to decipher the VIN plate, here is a picture:

b6d78521e19ed3ba40922aace0bd3184.jpg

BTW, I did my maiden voyage with the new VFR today. Took it easy with the brand new engine, new tires and low (10-ish Celsius) temperatures. Great ride, nevertheless. Really like it!

• Member Contributer

i really don't think it matters where your bike is sold Honda needs to be able to track a bike for recall purposes and need to know when/where bike is sold and or manufactured. to me this vin looks like a 2014.in USA if you look at 10th digit it notes year.

2010=A

2011=B

2012=C

2013=D

2014=E

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pic Tom!  Very interesting - it looks like they stamp a decibel rating on the VIN tag of 90 dB at 5,125 rpm if I'm reading that right?

Does your Owner's Manual have a model year on the cover like the ones in USA?  Anyway, I'll stop pestering you about the model year - it's just a weird fixation of mine - lol.  The 8th gen is a fantastic machine regardless of when it was made!

Were you able to use the heated grips on your ride?  I turned mine on once and cycled through the settings just to make sure it worked but I've never actually used them.

Thanks for the pic Tom!  Very interesting - it looks like they stamp a decibel rating on the VIN tag of 90 dB at 5,125 rpm if I'm reading that right?

Does your Owner's Manual have a model year on the cover like the ones in USA?  Anyway, I'll stop pestering you about the model year - it's just a weird fixation of mine - lol.  The 8th gen is a fantastic machine regardless of when it was made!

Were you able to use the heated grips on your ride?  I turned mine on once and cycled through the settings just to make sure it worked but I've never actually used them.

You are correct with regards to the noise. Actually, I was a little disappointed of the stock exhaust initially, but the intake noise you hear when riding compensates that very well. What a sweet sound! If it were not for the weight saving, I could see myself sticking with the stock can.

I did also check the user manual for a time stamp, but did not find one. From what I understand, model years 2014 through 2016 are exactly the same. Were you looking for changes between the years?

In fact, I did use the heated grips most of the time today. Level three was plenty enough, though. Average temperatures today were between 8 and 10 degrees Celsius, but I felt surprisingly comfortable. This was a good test for what is to come next year, as it can be quite chilly on the passes in the Alps even in summer...

BTW, really enjoyed your VFR vids. I played them often while waiting for the new bike.

• Member Contributer

Glad you enjoyed the VFR vids!  Hope you didn't see my recent BMW S1000RR vid - my behavior and comments were rather embarrassing but that bike is like the devil!  Yeah the heated grips seem like one of the best features of the 8th gen - unfortunately I think I'll have little use for them in Florida - although I might get to use them this week because we're getting hit by a cold front tonight - tomorrow's high temp is only gonna be 70 - it's so cold that Mrs.GG made me chop some firewood for the fireplace tonight - lol.

I looked through some of your Triumph triple blog - what an awesome bike - you did a great job restoring it!

Archived