8th Gen vs. 6th Gen vs. currently owned 4th Gen

artyldr01

CROSS POSTED in 6th GENERATION

Good Evening,

I have a 94 VFR with 88k miles.  It died of an undiagnosed electrical issue on a ride this weekend.  I plan to fix her and never sell her but I am trying to convince the wife to allow me a 21st century bike.  I test rode a R1200RS but well beyond my price.  So here is the dilemma.  I have found a new, in the crate 2014 VFR 800 deluxe listed at $7999.  That is stock (no bags, risers, that I want).  There is also a 2007 with less $5000 miles, 25th anniversary scheme, and bags.  Understand it is style and character that mean more to me than ultimate performance.  The biggest thing i want is VFR panache, and frankly the 2007 has more of that than the 2014.  But I also want all the modern safety features the 2014 offers (ABS, traction control, heated grips, etc).  If you were to advise one way or another please do so.  Is the 8th Gen improvements worth my lackluster interest?  From a "modern" stand point would I give up much going for the 2007 (which I might be able to sell to the wife better!)?  Thank you all very much for any insight.

Have you ridden either one yet?  The new stuff is nice that is for sure.  I personally like the new design.  Newer bike, newer ABS.  I don't know how the TC is, it's unfortunate that the seemingly forgot to add the TC switch till after everything was made.

Ride them both and tell the boss boss which one speaks to you most.  6th gens can be had with luggage for well under 8k though.  

Tell us what you decide when you do.

• Member Contributer

-  The 6G with its big steel beam of a rear subframe and twin underseat SS exhaust has a significantly higher CofG than the 4G, IMO. At any rate, I remember it as shockingly heavier than the 4G when I swapped. Got used to it, though. 

The 8G is probably much closer to the 4G in that respect.

- The CBS brakes are not to everyone's tastes. I think they work very well at anything less than advanced trackday pace myself but tastes / expectations differ. 

The 8G did away with CBS and probably outperforms the 4G by a country mile.

- The 8G does away with the pig iron (and pig ugly) luggage brackets of the 6G.

• Member Contributer

Brand new bike vs 7 year old bike.  Known history against unknown history.  You haven't told us price of 6 th gen bike  unless it is a $ per mile which  gives $3000 difference in 7 years.

You could always try and barter a set of panniers as part of the deal.  I would suggest blagging a ride on both and seeing which you prefer.

I had similar dilemma but went with the new bike as I am intending to keep her.

• Member Contributer

Fix the battery

or stator

or regulator on your 4th geb

and live happily ever after....  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If you read your own post very carefully, you've made up your mind.  Check very carefully if the $7999 is an out the door price.  I doubt if it is as most quoted prices ending in "999" are out the door costs.  

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear your bike died.  As for 6th v. 8th, I've never ridden a 6th but I love my 8th - here's a good 8th gen video/commercial - it's hard not to want one after watching it :)

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fink said:

Brand new bike vs 7 year old bike.  Known history against unknown history.  You haven't told us price of 6 th gen bike  unless it is a $ per mile which  gives $3000 difference in 7 years.

You could always try and barter a set of panniers as part of the deal.  I would suggest blagging a ride on both and seeing which you prefer.

I had similar dilemma but went with the new bike as I am intending to keep her.

What he said!

I have a new Crossrunner (VFR800X), moving off a 2008 6th Gen and far prefer the new bike. The new engine is much nicer, more fuel efficient and it handles better as standard though you'd probably want to consider upgrading the suspension of whichever you choose.

If you can, I'd go for the new one. It looks beautiful, so beautiful Ducati have copied it! 

I'm sorry I didn't post earlier, the 6th Gen is listed at $5999. but I have been watching it, it's been available for a while at that dealer.  Its also five hours away.  VERY good insight into the 6th vs 8th Gen, I REALLY appreciate it.  I do like the style, etc of the 25th Anniversary but my goal, was to buy the latest and greatest, at some point (not necessarily now), to MAYBE be my last bike purchase, while I keep my 4G as my "fun/project" bike to work on.  Though I do LOVE that 25th Anniversary, some info here has been very helpful.  I just can't get fired up (via internet photos anyway, I have yet to seen one in person yet) over the 8G styling, kinda bland to me.  If they EVER come out with something close to the VFR1000GT I've seen circulated since around 2011, then there will be ZERO hesitation...I guess putting more TLC in to my 4G is the order of the day!

• Member Contributer

I recently bought a 6th gen to compliment my 5th, and was going to just sell my Street Triple R. I'm thinking of trading in the 6th and Street Triple R for an 8th gen though...

I've had the 6th for many years/miles, just bought the 8th (5000km)

My thoughts are that the 8th is basically the same bike simply better in every aspect (weight, consumption , delivery of power, brakes, handling) as you would aspect from Honda reworking on the same project after more than ten years. The esthetic is up to ones own taste.
Is this upgrade worth 2000$ ?
My answer is yes
Hope this help

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

Which Ducati is a copy of the new VFR?

The brand new SS but "copy" is much too strong a word, IMO. Like the VFR, it takes some styling cues from the Panigale in a sports tourer package. 

As much of a Honda man as I am, the Japanese cannot hold a candle to the Italians when it comes to style. 

1 hour ago, RC36Rider said:

As much of a Honda man as I am, the Japanese cannot hold a candle to the Italians when it comes to style. 

True that.  I love both of my Honda's but my heard still pounds for a Multistrada and an 848.

Thank you all again.  I do love the whole "25th Anniversary aspect," low miles, bags, etc. but i feel like i would kind of be buying another "old-ish" VFR and I have one of those.  If I could ride both that would certainly help.  But one is four hours north and one is 5 hours south! LOL 

Not to get to far off topic here.  I love Ducati's but the new SS just doesn't do it for me.  I'd much rather have a new ST4 type bike that is designed with the Panigale design language.  I think the screwed up the headlight on the new SS.

Archived