Gear for a broke new rider

newrider

Hey all, first of just wanna say how helpful this forum has been so far! I bought my 1997 vfr750 mainly by trade because honestly, im a broke college student whose supporting himself and has always loved the vfr! I begged and bartered for my bike and was finally able to get it! Now I was curious if anyone had suggestions on where to get decent gear for cheap; like a helmet and jacket with some pads mainly. I've been borrowing a helmet from a buddy but obviously I can't do that for ever... He's gonna want it back... So if you have any suggestions or if you're looking to sell a helmet size medium or a jacket in medium as well let me know! Seriously in desperate need 

• Member Contributer

If there are any tracks near you that host track days, see if you can find a message board where they hang out or simply attend one and ask around.  There are certainly at least a few riders who have slightly rashed up leather they don't use any longer (or have upgraded), or they've put on a few pounds over the years and it no longer fits.  Post up a 'wanted to buy' (and do the same on C/L) and your phone may not stop ringing. 

• Member Contributer

Apart from the typical used gear outlets, CL, eBay, I like to peruse the closeout sections of some of the online retailers. The only issue with these places, is not being able to try on the gear. This is most crucial with helmets, however a lot of good quality gear can be had at good prices.

Here are some of the places to check out online, if that appeals to you at all.

www.motorcyclegear.com (They even have a consignment section. I.e. Used gear from customers)

www.compacc.com

www.sportbiketrackgear.com

www.revzilla.com

• 1 month later...

I went to the dealership close by and tried on jackets, gloves, and helmets.  took photos of the tags of the ones I liked and sizes.  jumped on ebay and amazon.  Found what I was looking for and purchased.

I second looking at the pawn shops in your area.  I found a nice pair of pants last winter that looked barely used.  Was a good brand too but do not remember off top of head.  Wanted only like $30 for them.  I would have bought them but a few sizes small for my big butt.  When out messing around on weekends, I have seen some other stuff that was fairly inexpensive and would work for you until you decide to upgrade.  Some shops carried some stuff while others did not so do a little looking around.

• Member Contributer
On 8/10/2016 at 0:47 AM, Duc2V4 said:

Apart from the typical used gear outlets, CL, eBay, I like to peruse the closeout sections of some of the online retailers. The only issue with these places, is not being able to try on the gear. This is most crucial with helmets, however a lot of good quality gear can be had at good prices.

Here are some of the places to check out online, if that appeals to you at all.

www.motorcyclegear.com (They even have a consignment section. I.e. Used gear from customers)

www.compacc.com

www.sportbiketrackgear.com

www.revzilla.com

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com is also pretty good with their "Temporary Insanity" deals.

www.jakewilson.com for tires (catch the Bridgestone rebate by the end of the month for a killer deal). 

8 hours ago, GigemVFR said:

I second looking at the pawn shops in your area.  I found a nice pair of pants last winter that looked barely used.  Was a good brand too but do not remember off top of head.  Wanted only like $30 for them.  I would have bought them but a few sizes small for my big butt.  When out messing around on weekends, I have seen some other stuff that was fairly inexpensive and would work for you until you decide to upgrade.  Some shops carried some stuff while others did not so do a little looking around.

Along those lines, Goodwill can also have good stuff, but it is pretty rare.  Because the tax credit for motorcycle gear is so low, not many people donate these items, so it is hit or miss.  I generally donate my old gear to TMAC raffle items for this reason.

Lets also not forget the classifieds section of VFRD

Be careful buying used helmets that have been in an accident.  No amount of money saving is worth a head injury.  ATGATT for that matter.

• 8 months later...

Archived