8th Gen temperature

expvet

• Member Contributer

Curious about the results of the 8th Gen with a front mounted single radiator. What kind of temperatures are you getting and for those who have one and owned a 5th or 6th gen with the dual side mounted rads how does it compare. I would assume Honda switched over to the single front with the goal of cooler temps. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

It does, and a oil cooler. Running temps no different from my 6th gen.

+1

It definitely needs clean air. About 95°F today on the ride home and I never saw it go below 205 while doing 80 in traffic. At 60 in clean air, it got down to about 194.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

It definitely needs clean air. About 95°F today on the ride home and I never saw it go below 205 while doing 80 in traffic. At 60 in clean air, it got down to about 194.

Yours and Ragtops do run hotter than mine in similar conditions.  You may be seeing 205 due to lack of "clean" air.  Traffic will buffet the air in front of you for a long way back from another vehicle.  I don't typically ride in much traffic so that may be the difference.  I've never seen 235 while moving in any kind of traffic in a 5th, 6th, or 8th gen.  I don't know why the difference.  The same holds true in a couple of BMW's I've owned and it gets over 95 regularly where I live.  

In Phoenix on the highways, I get close to 220 while cruising. But that's in regular 100+ temps. Stop, or city, it'll get over 230 just fine. But it's stable, and not too much heat on the body, even with the fan on. 

• Member Contributer

Wow--230 and no worries. I had no idea it was ok to ride a bike at those temps. My bike gets hot but only has a bar graph and not a temp gauge so ignorance may be my bliss :)

However, the bar graph never goes above 6 out of 8 bars - the fans keep it under control in 90 plus degrees in city riding. 

Both of my 6th gens ran in the upper 170's to lower 180's most of the time. My 8th gen runs right around 180 almost all the time. It gets into the low 200's in town or if I am flogging on it in the twisty bits, but I don't know that I have ever seen the temp gauge go above 215 or so.

The biggest difference I have noticed in the bikes is how quickly they cool off. The 6th gens would take upwards of 30 minutes of riding to cool off while the 8th gen takes seconds. If I get the temp up into the 200's loafing around town and then get out of town onto a highway the temp drops down almost immediately. 

• Member Contributer

How fast the temp rises and falls is very dependent on the ambient temp. and whether you're in "clean" air or not.  That's been my observation on all the bikes I've owned.  

So yesterday we barely brushed up against 105. My 5oclock commute home at 40-70 mph on a congested highway, keeping revs more usable than normal, because of the extra density with the stadium nearby, (I hate football traffic) had me at 204 mostly. Rising when we slowed, maybe up to 210. Off the highway, after completely heat soaking the bike, it would get up to 220 at lights. The 230 I said earlier was in the worst heat of the year,  ~115°F. 

After about an hour on the high way, I was in downtown Chicago in stop and go traffic for about 15 minutes - a lot of long lights at those 3 street intersections. Temp got up to 240... Temperature outside was about 85 and really humid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Rsparky said:

So yesterday we barely brushed up against 105. My 5oclock commute home at 40-70 mph on a congested highway, keeping revs more usable than normal, because of the extra density with the stadium nearby, (I hate football traffic) had me at 204 mostly. Rising when we slowed, maybe up to 210. Off the highway, after completely heat soaking the bike, it would get up to 220 at lights. The 230 I said earlier was in the worst heat of the year,  ~115°F. 

Hey RSparky,

Are the temps you mention on an 8th gen or a daytona ? I ask since if daytona, how do you know the temps? My daytona has "idiot bars" and not an actual temp gauge. thx

You are not going to see much of a difference in temps without putting a manual fan switch in, as I'm sure the 8th/6th gen both have around the same on/off fan temp thermoswitch settings.

On 8/14/2016 at 5:16 AM, windyrun said:

Hey RSparky,

Are the temps you mention on an 8th gen or a daytona ? I ask since if daytona, how do you know the temps? My daytona has "idiot bars" and not an actual temp gauge. thx

The vfr. I need to fix my garage here still. Messaging you more. 

I just figured out why my bike was running so hot. I was running it high in rpm = hotter temp. It is only 75 today but my bike was running at 220 while on high way for 15 minutes. I shifted up from 2nd to 5/6 and temp dropped to 180 in a few minutes.

On 8/20/2016 at 4:41 PM, Quibble said:

I just figured out why my bike was running so hot. I was running it high in rpm = hotter temp. It is only 75 today but my bike was running at 220 while on high way for 15 minutes. I shifted up from 2nd to 5/6 and temp dropped to 180 in a few minutes.

Lmfao wow

• Member Contributer
On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:41 PM, Quibble said:

Yup they generally run hotter if you rag them

I've seen A LOT of riders just rev the piss out of their motors for no good reason (I know it's a 600 and it has a 15k RPM redline and it's "meant to rev" but seriously?).

How many Youtube videos have we seen where the owner put on a new exhaust and revs the engine to the rev limiter in neutral over and over for the camera?

Archived