Buying First Vfr

Hi all, i'm looking at buying a VFR800 and have come across a few. In particular i one stands out that is a silver with gold rims 2011 model, its in a country town based dealership that sold the bike new to original owner in July 2015, that owner did only 603km then traded back to dealer for an "Adventure style bike". So obviously the bike is in pristine showroom condition with no faults or mods. Still has factory warranty until July 2017.

This bike is priced in the same range as 2010 / 2011 / 2012 plated models with varying mileage from 3000kms, to 23000kms on the clock. None really have mods or exhaust upgrades, 2 have soft bags.

So with them all being around same price range here, what concerns if any do you guys see with buying a virtually brand new bike that had only done 600kms and then has sat back in a show room?

One thought i had on the brand new one was the tyres were manufactured in 2010 so are almost 6 year old already.

I'm partial to both the silver/gold colour scheme as well as the white on black.

Prices here in Australia are $8500 - $10000 for these 2010 - 2012 models.

Cheers

post-35336-0-59758700-1459923569.jpg

post-35336-0-36061300-1459923571.jpg

post-35336-0-29799900-1459923873.jpg

post-35336-0-74866800-1459923941.jpg

Guest Kris78

That silver and gold rims looks neat.

if you have a mind set on that silver bike and are willing to pay the price tag price talk with the bike shop and ask for a new set of tyres ,express your concerns about the age of them , not haggling on price (if that's the path you take) the bike shop may come to the party and fit the new tyres...

At the end of the day all you can do is ask.

With the age coming up to that 6 year period id be asking about the tyres that's for sure

• Member Contributer

I like the "new" silver and gold. I wouldn't be too concerned with the tire age as it appears to have spent most of its time indoors and away from the sun. I would use the tire age as a bargaining chip though.

Put it in neutral, have them tilt the front up, and spin that tire. The primary problem with age is crystallized brake fluid. If that wheel binds, then it requires a cleaning of pistons and seals inside the caliper. Ask them to open the master cylinder reservoir. If you see any crusty fluid, then you can suspect it is also in the caliper. If the fluid is merely dark then you can bargain for a complete brake flush. If the dealer is good they have already done a fluid change or otherwise will do it upon sale. Trust but verify.

With all of these bikes run your hands along the rims. It was ridden, so look for any dents caused by potholes or curbs.

If they were not offering it then haggle for the complete OEM toolkit.

• Member Contributer

Assuming both have the same brakes (ABS or not) then it comes down to looks - which colour scheme do you prefer. Though if the dealership is one you trust, that might sway the decision.

With respect, I highly doubt that the brake/clutch fluid has deteriorated significantly. As to older tires, yeah, they won't have the same ultimate grip as fresh ones but why not try bargaining on a discount for the next set and put a few thousand km on the originals in the mean time.

That grey and gold is pretty sweet. Then again, so is the white on black. Eenie-meenie-minie-moe. I'd replace the tires just for peace of mind. I'd hate to ruin a beautiful bike because the tires let go unexpectedly.

Thanks all, further discussions with both sellers the price difference has come down to $700. So it really is just a decision on colour in the end. Problem is both look great and i'd gladly have either. I guess the thought of a near brand new (only 603km's) bike with still over a year factory warranty (although doubt anything goes wrong) against a bike with 9000km on it is sort of swaying the result. Either way i have to travel 700km to pick either one up but just in different directions :)

Both look really good to me. I would say get the white/black though. Looks sharp to me with that paint scheme and I am a new fan of those white wheels. Guess I am partial to this color since I have had three silver/grey cars before and not yet looking for anything silver again yet. Good luck and sure you will enjoy either one.

• Member Contributer

Not sure about your side of the ditch, but the white ones seem to command a premium price compared to the other colours over here.

• Member Contributer

I would file that choice in the "good problem to have" category. You can't go wrong either way - both look great. One thing about using tires as a bargaining chip is that the dealer would only be out by their cost on the tires, and could probably cut some slack or throw in for free fitting them in order to make the deal. They move the bike out and you roll on new tires - win-win for you both. Post up some photos once you bring one home!

Cheers

Both look really good to me. I would say get the white/black though. Looks sharp to me with that paint scheme and I am a new fan of those white wheels. Guess I am partial to this color since I have had three silver/grey cars before and not yet looking for anything silver again yet. Good luck and sure you will enjoy either one.

Yeah the white are not as popular over here and the cleaner ones seem to have a higher price. The white being a pearl finish looks awesome too.

With bikes being so far away so far everything has been phone or email, so asked owner of White one for more detailed photos. So far everything has looked and sounded good and well maintained.

However am i just being too picky when i start doubting some of this when i look at the photo of the chain that i requested? Really i thought with a chain being one of the easiest and quite important part for owner/rider to maintain then is the rest of the bike cared for as much as it could be for the 9000km?

Only cosmetic however even the scuffs on the tank around the pad area just doesn't look "perfect unmarked new condition" as he's previously stated. I know its simple buff out but my point is its not as stated.

Guessing silver is looking better at the moment.

post-35336-0-02807200-1460350549.jpg

post-35336-0-24457900-1460350551.jpg

post-35336-0-21106300-1460350553.jpg

• Member Contributer

Exactly, if something as simple as the chain has been neglected, well.....

Tell the dealer they have a sale if they fit new tires and change all the fluids.

• Member Contributer

I knew a guy that had a white cbf1000 and it was impossible to keep clean,

my green vfr on the other hand can go months without being cleaned and still doesn't look that dirty :goofy:

Unlike your Pan which gleams. Along with that other make of bike that i dare not mention. Don't worry folks it ain't a Harley.

That chain certainly was neglected. Makes you wonder if the bike received any maintenance at all.

Yeah that's my thinking. Thought buying from "original" one owner would be great to know the bike history but i guess if this same owner has been up front and shown this as chain condition then i guess i'm walking away from this one. Fingers crossed discussion on Grey goes to plan and i stop annoying you guys with questions and start showing photos :)

Cheers all.

Sending a picture of a chain that looks like that to a prospective buyer makes the owner seem clueless (probably clueless about maintenance and definitely clueless about sales!) and would be a red flag for me.

Sending a picture of a chain that looks like that to a prospective buyer makes the owner seem clueless (probably clueless about maintenance and definitely clueless about sales!) and would be a red flag for me.

Yes the bike has probably had zero maintenance. But the buyer can just decide what is acceptable to deal with. It sounds like Adelaide wants something to ride out of the box, but otherwise could go inspect the bike, write down all of the problems and a reasonable cost for the fixes, and then make an offer. As most people think their item is unique, taking an 8x10 of that silver bike would let the seller know they are not the only game in town.

You never know someone's situation. The bike may have been poorly maintained because the guy is flat broke and thus may take an extremely low offer.

Yes the bike has probably had zero maintenance. But the buyer can just decide what is acceptable to deal with. It sounds like Adelaide wants something to ride out of the box, but otherwise could go inspect the bike, write down all of the problems and a reasonable cost for the fixes, and then make an offer. As most people think their item is unique, taking an 8x10 of that silver bike would let the seller know they are not the only game in town.

You never know someone's situation. The bike may have been poorly maintained because the guy is flat broke and thus may take an extremely low offer.

I do like your thinking there Knight, however yes i was looking for something ready to go. I'm still learning bike myself so the chain was pretty obvious but other details my not have been. Issue was the bike was quite a distance away hence i asked for lots of various photos to see if worth travelling. Anyhow decided it wasn't the one for me and yes he may have accepted an offer but i felt comfortable bargaining for the Silver one and now awaiting details to place deposit on it. This time next week she'll be in my garage :)

One very happy chappy here in Adelaide now. After 850km drive each way my girl was loaded and brought back. Traveled awesome in the trailer. Will post better pics once i have a moment to take some instead of riding her. I did snap one quick one when i did a beach run last night :)

post-35336-0-27730400-1460963929.jpg

post-35336-0-60626000-1460963946.jpg

post-35336-0-03776100-1460963959.jpg

Archived