Howdy

THRASHED

Just joined to hopefully get more information about my bike and meet some new people.

Last year I came across a genuine garage find. Turns out my neighbor's son-in-law was storing his bike across the street. 87VFR700F2 with 18,500 miles. It sat for 19 years in the garage under a cover and he was willing to sell ($400). Too bad he didn't leave it in pristine condition (one slow-speed down on the right side, several nicks on the tank) but after rebuilding the carbs, replacing the tires/chain and some general maintenance, it became my commuter bike...just turned 26k miles.

I'm getting ready to replace the brakes, rotors, and lines and need some guidance. I realize stock rotors, if I could find some, would be $$$$. I've looked at EBC, but are they that different from the generics on eBay? Will probably go with EBC HH pads (close to stock?).

Anyway, I'll do some searching around here and see what I can come up with.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard Thrashed! Pics of your garage find would be most welcomed!

I'd say stick with the EBC HH pads and depending on how lucky you feel, getting the generic rotors off of eBay would be your call. Personally I'd try to find some OEM or go with the EBC rotors as well.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. We'd like to see some pics of your machine to assure us you are not a figment of our imagination.

• Member Contributer

Hi Thrashed (reminds me of our former NHL team here in the ATL. But I digress...). Pics please!

Pashnit.com has a deal on galfer lines right now, not quite as cheap as their xmas time deal when i got em for just under 100 bucks but pretty good.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfer/brake_lines.html#honda

You'll want FK003D285-2 for the front and FK003D285R for the rear, 113 plus shipping for the set. When i contacted them they did not have any of the oem front style in stock, but i mounted the 2 line kit up just fine and am happy with em.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfer/galfer_buynow.html#top

Like these other folks have said, we're gonna need some pics :D

Argh...stupid work firewall. Sorry guys, I'll get some pics uploaded when I get home tonight. To answer the color Q: Dark Blue, Silver seat, Silver wheels.

Club Racer, thanks for the Galfer link. Of course, the site is a bit confusing. They list VFR700 87 AND VFR700/750 Interceptor 1986-90 with two different part numbers. That makes no sense. Thanks for providing the numbers. I actually want to run the longer banjo up top to eliminate the splitting block.

I looked at the rotors again last night. Fronts are almost perfect. Rear has smooth grooves across the whole rotor. I'll be replacing the rear (probably go with EBC) and going with the HH pads front and rear and installing caliper rebuild kit on all. I figure with that and the Galfer lines (Just bought them) it should make a huge difference.

Are the front and rear caliper seals the same part number?

BTW, Tapatalk sucks for uploading pics. Or maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

Also, should I move this to the appropriate sub-forum for further brake questions? I AM almost done :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Are the front and rear caliper seals the same part number?

According to the parts fiche, they are different.

Here's the front brake assembly...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1987/VFR700F2+AC/FRONT+BRAKE+CALIPER/parts.html

Here's the rear brake assembly...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1987/VFR700F2+AC/REAR+BRAKE+CALIPER/parts.html

Duc, thanks for verifying that for me.

OK, here's a couple of pics.

The day I picked it up:

20150515_140453_zps2s8vthsu.jpg

20150515_140409_zpsanlbopyf.jpg

20150516_085148_zpsgy8qob7t.jpg

A little wax...

20150516_082818_zpsg7igmaoj.jpg

And what it looks like now. She cleans up pretty well:

20150702_060246_zpssw6bu3y6.jpg

Archived