Mirror Snapped Off By Passing Car

elfreako

I have State Farm, called to ask them a question about an incident where someone had backed into me, but they were paying

in full out of pocket, but I was told (in a friendly way) that I should not have made them aware of it and my rates may go up.

I can only guess it has something to with being statisically more likely to be involved in another.

That's the problem. They might find out anyway. Insurance co's share data to keep their collective cost down. And if they don't hear from you and get your story, they might assume you have something to hide... even more reason to suspect you are at fault, in part of in whole.

Agreed, but worth the effort? Doubt it. Just replace the mirror and move on.

If that accident was already reported somewhere somehow, the OP can't afford NOT to make a claim.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have State Farm, called to ask them a question about an incident where someone had backed into me, but they were paying

in full out of pocket, but I was told (in a friendly way) that I should not have made them aware of it and my rates may go up.

I can only guess it has something to with being statisically more likely to be involved in another.

That's the problem. They might find out anyway. Insurance co's share data to keep their collective cost down. And if they don't hear from you and get your story, they might assume you have something to hide... even more reason to suspect you are at fault, in part of in whole.

Agreed, but worth the effort? Doubt it. Just replace the mirror and move on.

If that accident was already reported somewhere somehow, the OP can't afford NOT to make a claim.

Haha, I think you're overestimating the competency of these companies. I've worked in the insurance industry - trust me, they just aren't that clever.

• Member Contributer

To me, the evidence is fairly clear cut in your favor. The collision happened when the other vehicle struck your vehicle in the process of passing you in the same lane your vehicle occupied.

Unless the court/insurance company thinks he moved into the path of the other vehicle without indicating. Then he's stuffed...

Ciao,

If the other vehicle had rear-ended the VFR1200, would there be any doubt as to who was at fault? The fact that the collision resulted in a clipped mirror does not change the fact that there was a collision caused by a vehicle coming up from behind and striking the motorcycle. It is next to impossible to argue that the van had the right of way when it rammed a vehicle in front of it, which was precisely what the van driver did.

More than likely, the van driver was fixating on the downed motorcycle up ahead and wasn't paying attention.

It is far from impossible to argue that. This rider wasn't rear-ended. He could easily be found to be at fault if he moved into the path of a vehicle that was in the process of (safely) passing him. The rider appeared to be looking to overtake the black vehicle on its right hand side, and in so doing seemed to me to be moving to the right, just as the van was accelerating forward. It is hard to tell from the rider's helmetcam exactly where the his bike was, but there could be other evidence. Yellow Box junctions are often monitored by the local counsel (so they can issue tickets for entering and stopping within them), so there may be CCTV of the incident. Or the van driver might have a dashcam. A sideswipe isn't as clear-cut as a rear-end collision, so in the absence of any better evidence, I think it unlikely that a court would side 100% with the rider in this case.

Ciao,

Okay, lets ignore the lane position and movement right or left by the OP on his motorcycle. Its all irrelevant to the collision. THE LANE WAS HIS PERIOD! The van was behind him as he zoomed past and took off his mirror. I'm not arguing the safety of the OP's riding style or anything else. The bottom line while looking at the video, is the van came up from behind him and took off his mirror as he went past. I don't know London driving laws but I cannot see how the van is not at fault it in this. I will tell you this, here in Phoenix, with that video evidence, the van is getting the ticket! Story over!

I love things like this, everyone's an expert :cool:

I may not be an expert but I have been involved or investigated somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1000 collisions as a traffic motor officer here in the states anyway. If I had that video as part of my evidence during the investigation, the van is getting the ticket. Now is it worth trying to get this guy to pay for the mirror, on that I have no opinion.... :wink:

• Member Contributer

I love things like this, everyone's an expert :cool:

I may not be an expert but I have been involved or investigated somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1000 collisions as a traffic motor officer here in the states anyway. If I had that video as part of my evidence during the investigation, the van is getting the ticket. Now is it worth trying to get this guy to pay for the mirror, on that I have no opinion.... :wink:

Good enough for me ...

i refuse to lane split, glad it's illegal in my state.......too dangerous

False, it's safe, to say it's dangerous with little to no experience of it is daft.

i refuse to lane split, glad it's illegal in my state.......too dangerous

False, it's safe, to say it's dangerous with little to no experience of it is daft.

I wish lane splitting was allowable in the entire US. Splitting is the thing I miss most about being on the police motor! We could split traffic everywhere and ride on sidewalks....lol

Wow.... interesting to see all the different perceptions everyone has on this incident. Thou, I don't class any as right or wrong, just different.

What's even more interesting is that I received a call last Friday from the company whose van it is, and they offered to replace my mirror without going thru insurance. I'm not too sure what changed their mind, but as long as I get my mirror fixed, I'm happy.

You can see the part that snapped in the picture below, made out of cast metal, I believe. I have to replace the whole black piece, which is only about 10-15min of work taking it off, and another 10-15min putting it back on. Thankfully not that bad.

post-30346-0-94071000-1457389216.jpg

post-30346-0-03563600-1457389224.jpg

Wow.... interesting to see all the different perceptions everyone has on this incident. Thou, I don't class any as right or wrong, just different.

What's even more interesting is that I received a call last Friday from the company whose van it is, and they offered to replace my mirror without going thru insurance. I'm not too sure what changed their mind, but as long as I get my mirror fixed, I'm happy.

You can see the part that snapped in the picture below, made out of cast metal, I believe. I have to replace the whole black piece, which is only about 10-15min of work taking it off, and another 10-15min putting it back on. Thankfully not that bad.

What changed their mind is that fixing your mirror cost hardly anything vs. you suing them for it and for the mental stress it caused you.....lol

haha, never know....stranger things have happened

Elfreako, are you replacing the WHOLE mirror? If so, can I buy this broken one off you? I want to commit a frankenstein experiment on it :)

Elfreako, are you replacing the WHOLE mirror? If so, can I buy this broken one off you? I want to commit a frankenstein experiment on it :)

You're going to bring it to life so that it can strangle cagers? I will be closely following your thread.

Sorry John, I've only bought the metal stem. I initially did charge them for the whole replacement mirror, but I couldn't justify wasting the rest of it when it was still in good nick.

I picked up my parts from Honda MotoDen in the city. They said someone ordered a right-hand cover/plastics and then said they didn't need it. Perhaps if you speak to them they might do it at a discount rate?

That would look like absolute dog shit and have virtually no functionality in comparison to the originals, and you're losing front indicators doing that.

Archived