How Not Does Your 8Th Gen Run?

01ragtop

How hot (not "not") does your 8th Gen run? Can someone fix that?

Mine runs around 185 degrees Fahrenheit going down the freeway at 70-75mph. Yesterday at 100 degrees ambient it was running at 198 at 75mph. In the twisties or in town it runs between 210 and 222 depending on outside Temps. I saw 225 once in 95 degrees heat running 40-55 mph uphill in the twisty stuff, mostly in Vtec. BTW, Vtec seems to really turn up the furnace.

Sounds about right, when parking it after being traffic, I let fans run with engine off for a couple of minutes, then restart till the temps stabilize at about 209. Don't know if it really does anything other than reduce "heat soak" a little.

Mine runs hotter than the 6th gen I had.

On a trip a few months ago with a mate on a 6th gen and a 38degree C day (HOT) and 120Kms/hr country mine was running at 95C and the 6th gen was running at 85C.

Admittedly his had done a lot more Kms than mine which had done about 5000Kms at the time so it should have been loosened up a bit.

I wonder if the bottom radiator guard is a bit restrictive to air flow, but rather that than a rock through the radiator.

On a normal days riding mine sits around 80C but it climbs fast in traffic or moving slowly.

I have had most gens of VFRs and the hottest of the lot was the 5th gen I had where I once had 117C on the dash.

At least on this model the fan blows air in the right direction.

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On October 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM, 01ragtop said:

How hot (not "not") does your 8th Gen run? Can someone fix that?

Mine runs around 185 degrees Fahrenheit going down the freeway at 70-75mph. Yesterday at 100 degrees ambient it was running at 198 at 75mph. In the twisties or in town it runs between 210 and 222 depending on outside Temps. I saw 225 once in 95 degrees heat running 40-55 mph uphill in the twisty stuff, mostly in Vtec. BTW, Vtec seems to really turn up the furnace.

Sounds just like 2014 runs which is the same as my earlier 5th and 6th gens.  There is a reason they have radiator fans and they work.  

• Member Contributer

If you see *continuous* temps higher than 220ºF or below 180ºF then
trouble shooting is in order:

Continuous engine temps above 220ºF or 104ºC is a problem and the proper
order of items to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty radiator cap... system should hold 1.1 pressure ratio...
2)Insufficient coolant...
3)Passages blocked in the radiator, hose or water jacket...
4)Air in the system...
5)Thermostat stuck closed...
6)Faulty temp meter or thermo sensor...
7)Faulty fan...
8)Faulty fan switch...

Engine temps below 180ºF or 82ºC is an problem... it means that the
moisture produced during combustion is not getting hot enough to
evaporate out the pipe as steam... instead that moisture will migrate
to the oil and produce a milky white contamination...

Note normal by products of combustion is water... . Every gallon of gas
creates roughly 8 pounds of water vapor... we all have witnessed water
escaping out of tail pipes on cold mornings...

The sequence of events to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty temp meter...
2)Thermostat stuck open...
3)Faulty fan switch... (stuck on)

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, windyrun said:

WOW---that's hot. I'm a bit surprised actually. I thought all kinds of weird pre-combustion of fuel vapors occurs at temps like 245F.

Well then it's a good thing there's no fuel in my coolant!  ;-)

Actually I have no clue where that temperature is getting measured.

I have no idea.

• Member Contributer

I'm a bit freaked out by a temp of 245 since the owners manual in a tuono 1100 says to immediately stop the bike if temp gets above 238. And the Tuono I get to ride occasionally definitely gets hot in stop and go traffic. It does cool off rapidly when moving at any speed though.

Point being I would guess that Aprilia has had its fair share of experience with hot engines given the power their v4s produce and their racing experience.

8 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

If you see *continuous* temps higher than 220ºF or below 180ºF then
trouble shooting is in order:

I don't know about that.  My cruising temp has been in the 170's (F) since new.  I mean flat ground doing at least, say, 55 for a while, summer or winter.  IIRC, last winter it was about 172, and this summer is about 178.

My temps seem to have gone up a little since switching to HP4S oil and the new Honda coolant (blue?).  They were both done at the same time so I'm not sure which it is, or it may be just because it is soooo hot here this summer.  But it will still settle in the high 170's.  I don't think I've ever seen it go over 223 or so.  The fan comes on at 220 and brings it right down.  I haven't been stuck in traffic for long, though.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RC79Scott said:

I don't know about that.  My cruising temp has been in the 170's (F) since new.  I mean flat ground doing at least, say, 55 for a while, summer or winter.  IIRC, last winter it was about 172, and this summer is about 178.

My temps seem to have gone up a little since switching to HP4S oil and the new Honda coolant (blue?).  They were both done at the same time so I'm not sure which it is, or it may be just because it is soooo hot here this summer.  But it will still settle in the high 170's.  I don't think I've ever seen it go over 223 or so.  The fan comes on at 220 and brings it right down.  I haven't been stuck in traffic for long, though.

Normal if for the fan to come on at 221 degrees and it will quickly bring the temps. down to just above 200 if you can't start moving again.  I just turn my engine off if stuck in traffic for long, or lane split which is a little dangerous around here since it's illegal and people aren't used to it and they also take offense to it.  So, I'm very careful about lane splitting.

General, I run between 172 (downhill, cool temps) and 220 (uphill, altitude, steep canyon, 3rd gear at 60+ mph)

It generally runs cooler than my '03 6th gen, but a lot hotter than my CBR.

The Pani, on the other hand- you could roast weenies with that thing.

This weekend I went for a ride in the hills of Malibu, CA.  Half the time we spent riding in the hills where the temperatures were in the mid 90's.  The other half the time was along the coast where the temps were around low to mid 80's.  Going uphill in 2nd and third in the hills, the CT hovered around 210-220.  The fans would go on when the CT hit 220 and never let it above that.  Downhill, in taller gears the CT stayed around 215.  Along the cooler areas of the coast and cruising along at 60-65, the CT stayed around 175-185 depending on how long I had to sit idling in traffic.  This on an '07 6th Gen with a powercommander 5 and not the overly lean stock fueling.

Another [partial] data point: my 8th gen feels like it runs cooler than either of my 6th gens I've had prior - the fairings do a good job keeping the heat off the rider. The radiator fan works well, actually cooling the bike and cycling on & off instead of turning on and staying on like the previous gens. Because of this, I don't usually monitor the coolant temp, keeping the display on mpg or external temperature instead.

Archived