Greetings From New Zealand

thecat

hi

Just want to say what a great site for VFRs. I signed up a while ago but this is my first post.

I started riding many, many years ago, but returned to the sport in 2010. Owned a number of bike since -- Ducati ST2, Yamaha Fz6, Honda CB1300 and a Suzuki 1250S Bandit.

My riding buddy since 2010 had a 1999 red VFR 800 and I wish i has paid more attention to him now about what a great bike it was. But being vertically challenged, i never got onto his bike for a trial. I rode a first gen VF750F interceptor in 1984 and there were too many issues with the bike though i liked riding it.

Anyway, in March, I stumbled on a yellow VFR that looked in good condition though it had 110,000km on the clock. As it was from another part of the country I couldn't physically check it out -- but it had an Ohlins rear shock, Staintune high exhaust, and it was going cheap. So i hit the buy button and the PO sent it down.

Well, having done some maintenance and riding it fairly regularly, learning its characteristics -- you guys are right -- it is a superb machine. I love riding it and my wife is happy pilloning. Within a week of getting onto it, we did a three-day ride from Wellington to Rotorua and then did the Coromandel loop -- plenty of twists and turns -- and it performed faultlessly.

Recently, the stator got fried so it has a new one put in -- but the technician said all of the relevant plugs to R/R and so on were in good shape. I looked myself and the plugs looked uncompromised. Only one little wire from one of the 30amp fuses was frayed and the exposed wire oxidiesed so i cut it and soldered and bit of wire and wrapped it up.

I do not know how many previous owners my bike had -- but i am finding that the more catch up maintenance i do -- fresh clutch and brake fluid, oil and filter change, new battery, stator, cleaned up all the electrical connections and adding another couple of ground wires have incrementally improved the bike since when i got it. The engine still sounds tight and the cam gear whine is special. Now its as smooth as silk and feels more powerful than when I first got her. I can say of all the many bikes i have owned, this is THE one that rules all. Next March, my wife and I head to the South Island for a 10-day trip with the Ulysses club and I am looking forward to a great experience with Bonnie for that is what the bike has been named.

post-32068-0-71825500-1439959609.jpg

post-32068-0-62696200-1439959831.jpg

post-32068-0-06902400-1439959851.jpg

post-32068-0-23211000-1439959585.jpg.

cheers

• Member Contributer

Welcome, you picked a fine example to commence VFR ownership. I had a twin to it before trading it away with about the same mileage as yours.

• Member Contributer

Excellent. With that level of tlc, she'll last many more miles yet. :beer:

Coming down to South Island myself in 18 months for a month's holiday with VFR NZ. Can't wait.

Excellent. With that level of tlc, she'll last many more miles yet. :beer:

Coming down to South Island myself in 18 months for a month's holiday with VFR NZ. Can't wait.

Drop us a line when you do, mate. Sure we can welcome you.

Welcome from the West Island :goofy:

Love your sign off quote. Sounds like me too

Great first post! That's a beautiful Y2K you have. You're going to love it!

Thanks. That's exactly what the PO said. He ad his wife were sorry to see it go and I would love having the bike.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Bonnie indeed! Nice impetuous button press on your part. Even better TLC is heightening the enjoyment.

I've recently bought a BMW R1150RT to try and improve comfort on long trips, the VFR belting my old bones around too much now - but I can't sell it. The crystal ball keeps telling me to upgrade the shocks and move the beemer on if the ride improves (decisions, decisions). The VFR is certainly a thoroughbred.

Mike

impetuous indeed. there was a bit of work had to be done on the bike, that's why it was going so cheap in hindsight -- one front wheel bearing was rumbling, steering bearings were shot, chain was binding although sprockets were still fine, front brake pads were pretty done, a few minor scratches on the fairing from a parking lot drop I suspect, and the linked braked system was deliberately locked -- discovered the bearings in the pivot for the left caliper were gone! So had a few bits and pieces to tidy up the past few months. The suspension was all over the place but am slowly but surely getting it to how I like it. I am sure there's more in the Ohlins as I do not know how it was maintained but a rebuild is outside my budget at the moment. As I am 72kg, no need to tinker with the front forks beyond the fluid refresh and raising them 8mm, it works fine for me -- I started with four lines preload showing but now have three lines showing as my confidence and feel for the bike improved.

with each step, I uncovered a bike that got to be more and more a joy to ride. the engine and the sound it makes is unique and its linear delivery means I don't scare myself.

I think its a great base from which to work on to adapt it to suit riding preferences. Because I am short, I have had to trim the seat down so I can plant my feet firmly when stopped, I have also raised the handlebars a little above the clamp and this has helped improve the riding position for me. As I am aged 60 now, I just wish I had found a VFR when I returned to biking five years ago. I just enjoy owning and riding Bonnie and hope to get as many miles on her as I can. Even a 10-minute ride has me grinning madly. Very few bikes I have owned, probably two others -- a BMW R90s and the liquid cooled RZ350 -- have I connected so well with.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from up north!

Same here. Welcome!

I noticed that in your profile you have a red-black 2014 model.

Is that a special paint job that you did?

Can you show us more pictures of that bike and it's colour scheme?

Archived