Watch For Choppers On Blood Mountain! Etc

HRCCBR

Well, I got a ticket on Saturday.

Coming down the mountain I was behind a slow car(30ish) and a van that was weaving back and forth in the lane behind them. I waited patiently until there was plenty of room both in road and sight distance and jumped in front. Unfortunately, I made this decision in a no passing area (double yellow) continued down and a Trooper pulled out behind me about a mile further down. Another 5-700 yards a local car fell in behnd him. We went another 1/4 ish mile and the lights went on.

The only way the trooper could have known is either the car was an unmarked (did not look like the type of car) or the chopper that I didn't see or hear until I was sitting on the side of the road. Guessing it was the chopper spotting for the cars up the road.

Moral of the story is have more patience in the future!

They appeared pretty fast on Saturday. We (myself and a couple guys from work) had gone over Blood without seeing anything, proceeded to Richard B, turned around at the end of Richard B and went back over and LEO was out in force. Got the ticket about 11:30am went to Jim's for lunch, came back thru and they were still around. Went "sight seeing" after that and headed home about 4ish.

The only ones I saw Sunday were on Old Dahlonega Hwy. It is a 2 lane, kind of country road. Speed limit is 45 mph and I came up on a car doing 35-40. Had plenty of room to pass on a straight, but it was a double yellow. As soon as I got back in the lane, 3 sheriff cars came at me from around the next bend. The first one was shaking his finger at me, but they never did turn around. I've been on that road several times and never have seen a LEO. Sunday all of the sudden 3 of them right in a row. Something else more important than me must have been going on.

• Member Contributer

Remember, a misdemeanor ticket has to be issued by the witnessing officer. If one guy pulls you and cites you and did not witness it, the ticket is invalid.

I would definitely go to court and request a hearing, ask for evidence to prepare your defense and generally make a pain in the ass of myself. For them to go to court against you they would have to bring in the issuing officer and the chopper/unmarked unit that witnessed it.

At least it gets two or more of them off the streets for a day and perhaps the witnessing officer did not issue the citation then the court would have to dismiss if you asked for dismissal based on those grounds.

• Member Contributer

yep,

get the ticket writers verification that they witnessed the infraction, otherwise its hearsay.

request EVERY TICKET THAT THEY HAVE EVER GIVEN!!

request his personnel file and EVERY complaint against them .. etc etc

and presto!!

suddenly the ticket is dropped.!

if they do dump a few thousands lbs of paper at your door with copies of everything,..( wont happen)

then write on the court notification that you cant get out of work that day, delay it again , and again and again.

simply put, the town isnt go pay thousands of dollars to get a $100 from you.

• Member Contributer

You did the crime

how much is the time? (in dollars) :unsure:

Cornercarver-

My understanding is that one officer can witness and a different officer write. For example airplane/chopper speed traps with the white horizontal lines at a specified distance apart on the road that allows the pilot to measure your speed and relay that to the ground officer. Completely valid.

gll429 - sounds like a lot of work!

Dutchy - not sure yet. waiting for the ticket to come up online so I can see the cost

To be fair, I basically admitted to speeding(5-15 over) which the officer gave me a break and did nothing about.....I am going to inquire to an attorney just for fun but my guess is I will simply pay it and move on.

• Member Contributer

I paid my $400 speeding fine because I did it myself knowingly.

I have however formally started the process to challenge the neighboring municipality's plan to close the Lekdijk for all motorized traffic (except people who live there or their visitors).

Provided my POV and submitted some 20 questions they must answer, requested them to stop their intention.

Should they not, I can formally object and if they decline I can appeal.

The ground for their plan are arbitrary, not based on factual measurements of noise, danger, "value for recreants" (as if riding a twisty road is not recreative for motorcyclist) etc.

Their police had not seen sufficient levels of incidents or accidents for them to warrant dedicating resources for enforcement.

For that is what the answer is: catch the bad guys.

52 and on the barricades for the 1st time!!! :goofy:

This landscape is fit for mc too!!!

post-8974-0-98453900-1433778437.jpg

$400 that's a good bit! I am guessing it will be $1- 200 for passing in no passing zone.

Back in my 20's (I'm 47) I got a ticket for 125 in a 65 on my 700 Sabre up I-575 following my brother on his V65 Sabre. They reduced it to 90 but the total cost $900 to me.

• Member Contributer

Cornercarver-

My understanding is that one officer can witness and a different officer write. For example airplane/chopper speed traps with the white horizontal lines at a specified distance apart on the road that allows the pilot to measure your speed and relay that to the ground officer. Completely valid.

Dutchy - not sure yet. waiting for the ticket to come up online so I can see the cost

To be fair, I basically admitted to speeding which the officer gave me a break and did nothing about.....I am going to inquire to an attorney just for fun but my guess is I will simply pay it and move on.

I don't think this is correct. An officer can issue a ticket without witnessing an action based on a traffic accident investigation for example as he/she has most likely been trained in accident investigation and can deduce certain things that probably happened. They are still subject to cross examination to offer differing opinion of what may have happened. If you allege alien spacecraft that is probably not going to be well received as a viable alternative to the cause of the accident.

Look at the ticket as an affidavit signed by the officer stating that they witnessed you do something illegal. If someone else witnessed this alleged infraction then they would have to sign the affidavit.

In the instance you mention (being clocked from an aircraft over a measured distance to compute a speed) or being lasered from an overpass and having a pack of wolves on motorcycles pulling over 5-8 vehicles at a time both the issuing officer and the witnessing officer must show up in court to present their testimony regarding what each witnessed.

Most people don't even bother to show up in court to "discuss" the citation much less point out that the witnessing officer did not sign the affidavit/citation. The officer who signed/issued it is taking the word of the witnessing officer that you broke the law and hoping that the communication between witness/issuer is clear and they cite the correct vehicle.

Dutchy, while I admire your knowledge of hackneyed 70's American TV slogans originally voiced by an actor believed to have killed his wife (quite a bit less than I admire real police officers who provide a needed service to their communities I might add) most traffic enforcement officers are issuing citations because the municipality is looking non-legislated tax revenue from citizens who are too busy to show up in court.

If just 10% of those issued misdemeanor citations for traffic infractions would show up in court it would shut the system down and the clowns in our town would have to actually balance a budget and look for revenue elsewhere.

I might feel differently about the arbitrary issuance of citations if there was more consistency or if most of the laws that pissed me off were cited such as keep left except to pass or stay off your phone while driving.

CornerCarver - That is very interesting! I am going to consult an attorney just in case but you are correct generally I simply pay the fine if in fact I did do what I was accused of and got "caught". My time is worth something and sitting in court for a day sucks enough to pony up most of the time.

• Member Contributer

Cornercarver-

To be fair, I basically admitted to speeding(5-15 over) which the officer gave me a break and did nothing about.....I am going to inquire to an attorney just for fun but my guess is I will simply pay it and move on.

air speed traps are often WRONG!!

like that one up in canada that made the news for doing 205 mph on a bike that only goes 155.

how much work is it to ASK to give you the copies of tickets and such ?? 1 minute ?? 2 at the tops ? its a TON of work and MONEY for THEM!! so they tend to drop the case.

a police offer is on duty and paid to show in court . when you delay the process it pull the cop off his route another day.. making a problem.. they will drop your case after as few times of this.

since i forgot it was by chopper.

you request to see the grades of said person giving the ticket. i am not kidding!!! a few cops got an F in math in highschool but were required to calculate tickets..which were often really wrong.. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

CornerCarver - That is very interesting! I am going to consult an attorney just in case but you are correct generally I simply pay the fine if in fact I did do what I was accused of and got "caught". My time is worth something and sitting in court for a day sucks enough to pony up most of the time.

I generally agree with you about wasting time but I enjoy the car buying process and f'ing with bureaucrats.

• Member Contributer

I generally agree with you about wasting time but I enjoy the car buying process and f'ing with bureaucrats.

me too! which is why i love getting my accuser in a corner and making them embarrass themselves. :wink:

gll429 - you are correct but doing that over and over as you suggest, to me, is a hassle.

Corner - now if you want to talk about car buying THAT is something I relish when the time comes. Sitting in court wasting vacation time with the possibility of paying the same fine anyway, unlikely depending on the # that I have to pay.

Still can't figure out how to make the quote button work!

• Member Contributer

Cornercarver-

Take it and move on .

$400 that's a good bit! I am guessing it will be $1- 200 for passing in no passing zone.

Back in my 20's (I'm 47) I got a ticket for 125 in a 65 on my 700 Sabre up I-575 following my brother on his V65 Sabre. They reduced it to 90 but the total cost $900 to me.

The court cost will be $200 !!

Your lucky in the state of N.C. passing on the double yellow is consider wreckless driving .

Switchblade - interesting, I have to wait 10-14 days before I can even find out how much the fine is. Wreckless driving would mean an automatic lawyer!

• Member Contributer

I got a ticket in GA for "filtering" between cars at a light. That was automatic court appearance. Double yellow seems more serious, but I have no idea if you would be required to appear. I think the officer would have mentioned that to you, but who knows...

gll429 -

Still can't figure out how to make the quote button work!

I was having the same problem last week and 'mailman' solved it for me. Click the MultiQuote button and then the Quote button. Give it a try...might work for U2.

• Member Contributer

$175 for passing on double yellow for me in GA 2009. The officer said he was giving me break, I was thinking a warning, but he meant I did not have to appear in court but could pay fine via mail......being from Nebraska, paid via mail.

• Member Contributer

Dutchy, while I admire your knowledge of hackneyed 70's American TV slogans originally voiced by an actor believed to have killed his wife (quite a bit less than I admire real police officers who provide a needed service to their communities I might add) most traffic enforcement officers are issuing citations because the municipality is looking non-legislated tax revenue from citizens who are too busy to show up in court.

If just 10% of those issued misdemeanor citations for traffic infractions would show up in court it would shut the system down and the clowns in our town would have to actually balance a budget and look for revenue elsewhere.

Ahhh debate!!! 70's actor eh?

Let me pour some OJ and spice it up with some good ol' boys rye!!!

(from the good ol' Dutch Millstone distillery!)

The point here is that the topic starter knowingly crossed a double line to overtake and got caught.

There is NO reason to now start (but it is your right) having your day in court and spend your and others tax payers money and time

If you feel the double lines are the Councillors ATM, then you spend your energy and probably others to petition or whatever means available to have the lines removed. So you request (there must be a (by)law that guarantees your right to things like accident statistics. Or any other facts to build your case.

Now you will argue that you may be able to do this in your county/municipality, but not in others. well you choose to travel to those places and thus abide by the local laws. You are allowed radar detectors to the playing field is leveled somewhat...

Or start a nationwide FB campaign against double lines. If you want some witty one-liners, just ask :goofy:

If you get a ticket for something you didn't do, have your day in court. I would. And if they took your licence by the roadside, I would come and pick you up and drive you to court myself

Little side note: make sure your company doesn't relocate you to Germany....

unless you are APO AE 09126 and get to ride with US plates, you then get away with

105db+ exhausts,

bald tires,

illegal indicators,

licence plate bent up

and probably 50+ modifications that require individual approval

They will then decide not to give you an instant ban, but issue a warning fee!!! yeah Doug this was you! :goofy:

Keny nearly got busted for taking pictures, so stay away from Germany unless you are prepared to live by their rules.

I am well aware of the recent (some argue years) "situation" with policing in the USA and that is serious so I stay WELL clear of that.

But if one writes you a ticket for a violation you did, my advise (well to my 15 year old son anyway) is man up and pay. You then either make the choice to do that again and pay the consequences or amend your behavior.

Prior to attending TMAC, I rode Gradus' VFR to TN and in some (was it Georgia? TN, I dunno) town spotted a "Crown Vic" nose poking from an adverting boarding (yes Crown Vics I watched US police series in the 90's too!! :cool: And besides who wanted a Caprice by that time anyway, but I am swerving of the path here, almost as much as that beached whale did.. (been in manier taxi while on business in the US..)

So :fing02: up to the good cops and have a giggle...

Archived