Watch For Choppers On Blood Mountain! Etc

HRCCBR

I got a $200ish dollar ticket by a cop on a BMW in Greenville NC a couple years back for advancing my position in traffic via the turning lane.

I was going to make a left at the light so to get past the herd of rush hour traffic going straight i went up the turn lane. Well, I passed a road in the process which technically meant, according to the cop, that I was operating my vehicle on the wrong side of the road. I was in my SUV. It was my first and only offense and with some help I got it dropped to improper equipment. Cost me 400-500$ to get the moving violation dropped when you threw in the attorney. At 22, I really can't afford the insurance spike on my bikes if I get a moving violation so I have to either protest in court or pay a lawyer.

-PRB

Still can't figure out the quote

click the quote button. when the reply to this topic field comes up click on the 'More reply options' at the bottom right. Then click on the top left icon which looks like a light switch.

Quotes may work after that...worth a try.

It was the car.

Union County has been using that tactic for years.

I first saw it on Wolf Pen Gap. A car going 25 - 30 when you pass a deputy is waiting for you at the end.

It is one of the reasons I no longer ride often in GA.

But they have to make money somewhere. Actual crimes don't pay.

click the quote button. when the reply to this topic field comes up click on the 'More reply options' at the bottom right. Then click on the top left icon which looks like a light switch.

Quotes may work after that...worth a try.

Hey hey hey I think it worked! Thanks!

It was the car.

Union County has been using that tactic for years.

I first saw it on Wolf Pen Gap. A car going 25 - 30 when you pass a deputy is waiting for you at the end.

It is one of the reasons I no longer ride often in GA.

But they have to make money somewhere. Actual crimes don't pay.

That's interesting. It really didn't look like an unmarked type of car. What would you say the chopper was for floating around?

Duchy - I do not disagree, I feel if you did it knowingly and got caught just pay the piper and move on. If it turns out to be some crazy $ or marginally legal thing I will have to retain an attorney. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks for everyones input! As I said in the beginning the moral of the story is to have more patience in the future. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Dutchy, while I admire your knowledge of hackneyed 70's American TV slogans originally voiced by an actor believed to have killed his wife (quite a bit less than I admire real police officers who provide a needed service to their communities I might add) most traffic enforcement officers are issuing citations because the municipality is looking non-legislated tax revenue from citizens who are too busy to show up in court.

If just 10% of those issued misdemeanor citations for traffic infractions would show up in court it would shut the system down and the clowns in our town would have to actually balance a budget and look for revenue elsewhere.

Ahhh debate!!! 70's actor eh?

Let me pour some OJ and spice it up with some good ol' boys rye!!!

(from the good ol' Dutch Millstone distillery!)

The point here is that the topic starter knowingly crossed a double line to overtake and got caught....

I stopped reading after this line Dutchy because you are wrong. The point is that he knowingly crossed a double yellow and did not get caught but was issued a ticket for it anyway so the OP is trying to determine if it was an unmarked car weaving to and fro that tipped the officer or if they are using helicopters for enforcement on Blood Mountain.

You should take our word for it that arbitrary enforcement of some traffic laws (as done here in 'Murica) is much worse than zero tolerance for speeding or driving while talking on or texting from your cell phone.

Here it is just as likely that the color of your vehicle or the model vehicle will get you a speeding ticket when other vehicles are passing you.

If you carry your argument to the next level and assume a zero tolerance for speeding while operating a motorcycle on the interstate here you will get run over and then blow up and die again on the spilled fuel.

• Member Contributer

No worries, it is everyone's right to read or not read what I type.

I even have posts blocked (here and on the Dutch VFR forum) of a member that shall remain unnamed :goofy:

Exchanging views I must admit are better mano a mano..... I recall a man at TMAC telling me his views were far to the right but he still wanted to have a chat with me. "Is that ok?"

His views were indeed not mine but we still talked and had a laugh. It enriched my knowledge and maybe I adjust my views somewhat and did perhaps he did also.

Right, TTC will be coming over in a month or so, I will grill him (do I smell bacon??? :goofy: ) over his tactics.....

• Member Contributer

Just a little input. A few months ago while cruising down the interstate, about 25 over, ooooops, behind another car, the wife and I caught a glimpse of a police cruiser tucked in behind an underpass we just went through. The car in front of us slammed on the brakes so we safely changed lanes and slowed to the posted speed limit. Of course the officer was coming on fast. I told the wife I would just pull over as I'm sure he saw us go around the lead car. The officer was polite and wrote the ticket for 19 over so it was not reckless driving. He did state that I should not have pulled over as he was going after the lead car. I replied that I was not going to make him chase me if I was the one he was after. He stated he really appreciated that and as I had no violations on my record he recommended that I go to court. I said ok. Showed up at court, the judge said "son, you have not had a ticket in this century". Long story short, paid the ticket, 165 dollars as administrative fees, came back with no violations after 90 days, and ticket was dropped and not on my record. Took about an hour at court for each of the 2 days.

• Member Contributer

Last year N.C. troopers were on school buses catching bikes passing school buses on double yellow line in Robbinsville .

Roll on .

Archived