New To Gen5 In Nyc

Greetings to all! Just acquired a very clean '01 VFR800 w/17,000mi. Pretty much stock. Has had the R&R replaced with a unit from Rick's. I'll also add the VFRNess soon. Pirelli Angel GT's going on next week. After about 1,000 miles, I'm ready to declare this bike a keeper! I'll ride this season and spend next winter sorting the suspension and any other mods that suit my fancy.

Looking at the forum member map, there don't appear to be many members in the greater NYC area. For those in the region, can you recommend a solid dealer or independent shop? I handle simple stuff - oil changes and other first line maintenance. But, I'd like to have a reliable source for more serious work - just in case. I'm mostly interested in a shop in Queens (where I live), Nassau County, or Brooklyn. The Euro and custtom bike scene in Brooklyn is really active these days, but I don't see much happening with Japanese brands. Any recommendations for quality shops in the area would be sincerely appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Justin. We're going to need a pic to tell you how beautiful your bike is...

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! The 5 Gen is definitely a keeper. Sorry, I'm on the West coast so can't recommend any shops for you. Once you get acclimated to the site, be sure to post a pic or two, as its customary to do so on introduction post.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Welcome! I am in NJ and work in the center of the universe, Manhattan. Advise, get on the palisades and keep going...

Hi Justin, I'm Tom I'm riding a white 1999 Vfr. I had a 1997 a while back and I returned with a 1999. I have a hugger,New Q2's, D and D exhaust, heated grips and an eastern beaver 3 circuit harness. The previous owner installed dirt bars(LSI), lower pegs and a power commander. It seems like a keeper. Maybe some time we will ride together. I'm in western Nassau county.Welcome to to the site.

thanks

Tom

Guys,

Thanks for the welcome's! Joe, I appreciate the Rat Cycles recommendation. They are out there a way, but good shops are worth a ride. And, Tom, we're probably not that far from each other. I'm on the Queens/Nassau border. I'll reach out to you. Here's a quick snap of my Viffer in Cold Spring Harbor (sorry for the fuzzy picture. I'll have to figure out how to get a proper resolution image to appear. Image somehow got down-resd to 64K, about 1/100th the original resolution):

post-33069-0-09844200-1432866580.jpg

• Member Contributer

Image/bike still looking good!

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. You obviously have great taste in mc 's. The best gen in the fastest color.

Ride safe.

Pretty red head ya got there! Keep an eye out for a pipe in the classifieds. A tank pad will protect paint from scratches. Once you sort out electrical these bikes are generally bulletproof. I'm in Rockland County NY. Welcome, you'll find everyone helpful and lots of good info here. Tom

Tom,

Appreciate the comments. You can't see it in the pic, but tank pad is in place. PO replaced the r/r with a unit from Rick's. I need to finish that job and solder the harness connections. And, possibly add a VFRNess. Need to do a little more reading of previous posts to figure out what's next.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum,great looking bike,I love New York,best city in the world in my opinion,I used to live/work there,in the Bronx.

Yo Justin,

Welcome to the club. Scott in Brooklyn here with a '98. A friend of mine has an independent shop where he works on just about anything, but has a very strong knowledge of Japanese bikes in general, and sport bikes in particular. He has a soft spot for VFRs. I'll pm you his info.

• Member Contributer

I ride mine everyday. Great bikes very low maintenance and with exception of the charging system trouble free. But once you get it all sorted out, nothing but good things can be said about owning one of these Italian Red Beauties. Put a quality slip-on on it to really enjoy the intoxicating exhaust note. 17k miles? Mine has 117k and no issues or valve adjustments have been needed.

17,000 miles, and looks unmolested. :beer:

Not sure I want to know the price, they seem to be low for older bikes. Even good ones.

I'll just keep mine. Only about 77k miles. Worth more to me in use than it's market value. :cool:

New to the forums, and I realize this is in the 5th gen section, but I just picked up my 2003 VFR800 yesterday and I'm glad to see so many VFR riders nearby :) I live right near Bear Mountain.

Archived