Power Commander Info

Hey Guys,

Thinking a little about a Power Commander for my VFR. I have never had the opportunity to play with one and have never kept a bike long enough to even consider it. But I do believe the VFR will stay in my garage for a good while so I was thinking of looking into the advantages of a Power Commander for it.

My bike is an 06' that is really all stock with concerns to the motor with the exception of the flapper mod, snorkel removed, pair mod and the stock exhaust is opened up.

Just curious what all the power commander can do for my bike? Is it even worth doing with the stock pipes or would it be better to do with an aftermarket exhaust system. I am not really looking for major power gains, just maybe smoothing things out some at lower RPM's since that is where I ride most of the time anyway.

If there are any good articles out there I can read up on, please point me in that direction.

I think the Power Commander was a big deal on the earlier years where there were problems with on/off throttle down low and a dead spot around 4500 rpm at steady cruise. The PC fixed those problems for my 03 and it is smooth now. I know they made some changes in 06 to address those issues and I think some people had no problems. I'm sure someone with the later model will chime in.

I think you are right, I know have heard others talking about it more with the older bikes and I know they did make changes to the 06. But that is why I am here asking questions about it. Want to see if it is even really worth looking into for mine.

• Member Contributer

When I bought my 09 (used), it came with a 2Bros exhaust system on it. Before the power commander, it would back fire and also stumble at low speeds. I tried the snorkel and flapper mods but it really only increased the intake noise. I put in one of the maps that is in the download section, can't remember which one at the moment but it made a huge difference. Although my gas mileage dropped a little, the bike feels so much better that I plan to not only keep it, but have it professionally Dyno-tuned. That's once I disable the PAIR and put on the cat less 98 headers I have ready for it.

• Member Contributer

Have an '07. Strongly recommend the PC. much smoother and cooler running, and vtec is a total non-issue.

I believe the '06 has the same ECU as the '07. If so, the PC - 5 will work on it without issue and is the one to get. :-)

Mine's an 08 with K&N, cat in place, and modified stock exhaust that was plagued with low rpm "snatchiness". PAIR delete made it better. PCV with Autotune along with a trimmed Coderighter per-gear map has made it much, much better. Now acceptably smooth (rider limited) at low RPMs. The pre-VTEC flat spot where it fell on its face before lighting up on afterburners is gone - just a smooth transition into all four valves working. And I recorded 40+ mpg on the highway with my ahhh, rather gentlemanly person, factory panniers and a huge gym bag strapped sideways on the back to and from Seb's last fall.

Properly setup and trimmed or even dyno-tuned for your particular bike a PCV can change the entire character of your motorcycle. Highly recommended.

• Member Contributer

My 08 has a PCV with Staintunes,K&N,PAIR deleted with no autotune. I had no problems until a couple weeks ago when the PCV lost it's the primary map. Not good .

• Member Contributer

I fitted a PCIIIusb to my '04 several year ago, it made a huge difference. My bike had the 4-4,5k stumble, a choppy on/off throttle - the PC smoothed it all out, could not be happier with the instant results I got from the install of the PC.

Wow, thanks for the info guys. As I start reading more about this and looking into a Power Commander, is there a certain one I should look for? I will start reading more about this and trying to learn. Sounds like you guys have a good bit of experience with it. If you can point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it!

• Member Contributer

Wow, thanks for the info guys. As I start reading more about this and looking into a Power Commander, is there a certain one I should look for? I will start reading more about this and trying to learn. Sounds like you guys have a good bit of experience with it. If you can point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it!

Guess you could start here to find out which one is right for your bike.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_ex/

Guess you could start here to find out which one is right for your bike.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_ex/

I did find that and it does list which one is the correct one for my bike. I see they even have some maps you can download too. I guess they are a good starting point.

Thanks for the info guys. I will do some reading on the subject and I am sure I will be back with more questions in the future.

And I am already back with one more question....

Earlier when i went to the power commander site, it listed the PC V as the one for my bike. Part number 19-005

When I clicked on the link suggested above, it listed the PC III. Part number 126-411EX

So what is the difference between the two? Any Advantages to one or the other?

• Member Contributer

I also have a 2006 VFR. The Power Commander 5 is the preferable one. "PCV uses the latest CAN-BUS technology for lightening quick communications and ultra-precision control, and is less than half the size of the PCIII USB. Once installed, you provide your machine with a map to reconfigure your fuel injection operation. PCV can create a separate map for each cylinder for each gear, and for each injector."(This is from their official description). It gives you a more precise mapping control. I used the Cozye map for the 06 downloaded from VFRD and it immediately improved the low end roughness and smoothed out the overall powerband. I definitely recommend it. It fits nicely in the spot right near the rear brake fluid reservoir under the seat. Check out this Youtube video which gives you a really good explanation of the fuel injection and a basic how to of the PCV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9FOeefo2M

• Member Contributer

so, Cozye's map was designed for the first few years VFR, pre '06. Does it also work well "out of the box" on the post '06? Or did you have to adjust some of the fuelling around the vtec engagement point since it has been lowered on those better vtecs. Just wondering.

Btw my '03 works noticeably better with my PCIII. Im not taking it off.

C

• Member Contributer

so, Cozye's map was designed for the first few years VFR, pre '06. Does it also work well "out of the box" on the post '06? Or did you have to adjust some of the fuelling around the vtec engagement point since it has been lowered on those better vtecs. Just wondering.

C

First thing I did before firing the bike was to load up Cozye's map, which made my bike run perfect. I can't say how things might work out of the box, or on a later model. I ran Cozye's map for a few years before doing a few mods that required a different map, I'm now using Tinnymind's map.

• Member Contributer

C

I am using the map as is for the 06. It greatly improved the low end and runs much better. MPG's went down a bit, but that seems to be a side effect of PC's from what I have read here. I will probably get a Dyno mapping done this off season, but I want to do a throttle synch before I do so.

The PC5/ PCV also allows the use of a self tuning wide band 02 sensor if you care to go that route.

i had a PC3 on my track vtec and have had a PCV & wide band 02 sitting in my tool box since 2009. :wacko:

Look into Rapid Bike. They tune your ignition curve, not just fuel, so instead of just richening up the bottom end, you can now correct your fueling and advance your ignition timing, in one module, for some serious gains in midrange power. Also they come premapped for a stock vfr800 like yours and are self tuning, using the factory o2 sensors. The icing on the cake, is that they are not bike specific one piece harness and module like the power commander. The Rapid Bike Racing and Evo modules are universal with separate bike specific harness', so they can be transfered on to your next bike, after updating the firmware and mapping.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?/topic/79234-Rapidbike-Evo-And-Racing-Related-Questions-!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78467-Official-Rapid-Bike-Race-Group-Buy!

Archived