Oem Heated Grips - Two Variants - Cheaper Option?

DH82A

I have been trying to fit the heated grips (08T50-MGE-101) to my 1200 but of course have stuck the left one and jammed it on my helibar (currently soaking in isopropyl trying to remove it).

Being potentially faced with a whole lot of $$ to buy another set, I have seen another model of OEM heated grips (08T70-MJM-A00), which is for the 8th gen and less than half the price.

Question is - with the exception of the connectors on the grips - are they in fact the same and can I fit the LH grip to my 1200, change the connectors and be done with it? Or am I on a hiding to nothing?

I have been trying to fit the heated grips (08T50-MGE-101) to my 1200 but of course have stuck the left one and jammed it on my helibar (currently soaking in isopropyl trying to remove it).

Being potentially faced with a whole lot of $$ to buy another set, I have seen another model of OEM heated grips (08T70-MJM-A00), which is for the 8th gen and less than half the price.

Question is - with the exception of the connectors on the grips - are they in fact the same and can I fit the LH grip to my 1200, change the connectors and be done with it? Or am I on a hiding to nothing?

People have had luck using compressed air to emove grips without tearing them. Not exactly sure how one does it, but I think you just need to be creative on how you get the compressed air between the bar the the grip.......

Don't think compressed air in a can will be strong enough, you need to use "shop" compressed air from a compressor/tank and maybe a rubber tipped valve attachment.

try warmer gloves

You know, that is really funny! Yeah, have top of the line Rukka R-Star gloves. We ride in 10 deg F temps in winter (down Otago way) here and I discovered heated grips only a couple of years ago on the 800 and they really improve the enjoyment of the ride when it is that cold.

• Member Contributer

I had issues with the left grip on my 1200 too. Did you follow the Honda instructions and use their grip glue? If so, it's no surprise you're stuck. That particular glue is not the right stuff for these grips. Luckily for me I didn't get too far with it and eventually was able to remove the grip. I used alcohol alone and even then barely got it on.

I looked at the 800 heated grips as well and believe they are the same. The wiring is a bit different as they are made to connect to the dash for the indicator. But you should be able to connect them to the 1200 power line and 1200 right grip pretty easily.

try warmer gloves

You know, that is really funny! Yeah, have top of the line Rukka R-Star gloves. We ride in 10 deg F temps in winter (down Otago way) here and I discovered heated grips only a couple of years ago on the 800 and they really improve the enjoyment of the ride when it is that cold.

No need to justify need. I use my heated grips even when riding in high 40's. Necessary? Of course not. But who cares? The Heaterz kit cost me $50. If they let me ride with less bulky gloves, all the better, comfier, and SAFER.

As for your question... I'd say if the connectors fit, you're okay. The grips might be styled differently and the internal heating elements might be arranged differently, but they probably will work fine.

i ride down to 40F my under armor cold gear gloves do the job well enough....and i like the Pro Grips better than OEM

• Member Contributer

Cannot answer your question regarding the heated grips compatibility, though the price differential does seem strange but to combat cold hands, IMO the best option is heated gloves. I've been riding in sub-zero winter temperatures for years now and heated grips don't come close in terms of warmth & comfort. You do lose a little in the feel stakes but then in weather that cold I wouldn't be hooning around the countryside anyway.

Hope you find your answer.

• Member Contributer

For removing grips I use a small diameter pick that I rounded off the tip of with 50% diluted window cleaner. Push the pick in while spraying window cleaner in the gap you are creating. Once all the way through, start working the pick in a circle around the circumference of the bar while applying cleaner. The detergents act as a lubricant and once you are most of the way around, you can generally twist the grip on the bar while working it off the end.

For application I use a liberal spray of aerosol hair spray. Again it provides a small degree of lubrication while applying and once dry over night, the grip will be unmovable on the bar.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with where the electrical components of these heaters resides, but YMMV. If the wiring is totally encased within the rubber of the grip, you should be fine with this method. I emphasize using a rounded off pick so you don't inadvertently poke through the grip. Don't use a philips or flathead screwdriver, the smaller size screwdrivers are generally a bit too sharp for this also.

Best of luck!

I don't use grip glue and never had any problem. If anything, they stick too well even without glue.

Before I got the heated grips, I've been using heated gloves. Because it was yet another thing to plug in, and it requires my heated jacket to make the connection, I really only use them when the ambient temp drops well below 40F. That doesn't happen too often around these parts. Once I got the heated grips, I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. It's so darn convenient. Press a button... voila! warm hands. I've even had them on for morning commute in the low 50's, when I don't feel like putting on insulated gloves knowing it'll warm up to high 70's in the afternoon.

• Member Contributer

try warmer gloves

No need to justify need. I use my heated grips even when riding in high 40's. Necessary? Of course not. But who cares? The Heaterz kit cost me $50. If they let me ride with less bulky gloves, all the better, comfier, and SAFER.

As for your question... I'd say if the connectors fit, you're okay. The grips might be styled differently and the internal heating elements might be arranged differently, but they probably will work fine.

Volfy - I am considering the oxford heaterz - I have an unopened set of the old school heating element to be wrapped on the bar under the grip, but think I can do better for the VFR.

Where and how did you mount the oxford controller? Can you post a pic?

THanks,

-Dan

Dan, no problem. I'll snap some pics. I got the Heaterz Classics when they were clearancing them out cheap. The old style controller do not shut off automatically, but a 12V relay fixed that easily. New style controller has a battery saver shut off. Even at the new price, it's still a bargain IMO.

I actually messed up on the throttle side install a bit and have beeb meaning to redo it. Replacement grip only cost me $19.95.

I have Oxfords on my Varadero and the OEM (older model) on my VFR (2005). The Oxfords are warmer but I've had a set fail on my old KLR and on the Varadero. For $80 you can get three sets for the price of one OEM set - one per year and still be cheaper than the OEM. To be honest though, I like the look, feel and material (softer and thicker grip) of the OEM. Oxford mounts exactly the same on the VFR/XL1000V on clutch side - easy peasy to install.

IMG_2055.jpg

Took a quick cellphone pic this morning. I stuck the controller on with 3M Dual Lock, so it's repositionable and removable but mounted on solid. I mounted the grips with the wire on top and pointing away from the rider. With the Helibars, the grips are very close to the tank side covers at steering lock, so the way they recommended would have the cable hitting tank covers. Plus the cable loop would probably get in the way of working the turn signal.

post-23836-0-85679000-1431096553.jpg

• Member Contributer

I got lucky a few years ago and found a new OEM ST1300 set on eBay for $90. They are longer than the VFR grips, so it took a little engineering and some scrap PVC pipe to make handle bar extensions to support the end of the grips. I've been very happy with the set up. Like others have mentioned, I like that they are available at any time, as opposed to heated gloves. I've used them on rainy summer days when my gloves have gotten wet, and cool mornings when it isn't cold enough for my winter weight gloves.

med_gallery_12973_6911_113739.jpg

• Member Contributer

Took a quick cellphone pic this morning. I stuck the controller on with 3M Dual Lock, so it's repositionable and removable but mounted on solid. I mounted the grips with the wire on top and pointing away from the rider. With the Helibars, the grips are very close to the tank side covers at steering lock, so the way they recommended would have the cable hitting tank covers. Plus the cable loop would probably get in the way of working the turn signal.

Thanks - trying to decide which way to go and price vs. mounting the controller is where I'm at now. The demon grips (I think they're called) look good, but the Oxfords have a very nice system.

-Dan

No, I didn't. I had a look around and found that Web!ke in Japan sold individual grips. Ordered a new LH one (I abandoned the cheap 8th gen idea as they are different resistance to the 1200 ones) and then set to the grip. I tried all sorts of ideas to remove. Soaked it in Isopropyl Alcohol for 10 days, then put it in a vice trying to rotate and/or pull it off and some heat. Another hour wasted and then I thought bugger it and cut it off. The glue was really soft, but the grip was wedged on so tight there was no way it was coming off.

Lesson learned - I am going to the Honda dealer to have the second one installed. Maybe the Helibar is fractionally wider, I don't know, but i am going to let the dealer do it.

Thanks - trying to decide which way to go and price vs. mounting the controller is where I'm at now. The demon grips (I think they're called) look good, but the Oxfords have a very nice system.

-Dan

Dan, I've run Symtec Heat Demons On over 10 different bikes. You get to use the grips of your choice and they have always worked excellent. :beer:

Dan, forgot to mention Heaterz includes a mounting plate for attaching to the clutch lever 2-bolt bracket (similar to post #14). I've already got a RAM ball mount there so I didn't use it. Plus I prefer to have the controller where I mounted it, instead of on the handlebar.

No, I didn't. I had a look around and found that Web!ke in Japan sold individual grips. Ordered a new LH one (I abandoned the cheap 8th gen idea as they are different resistance to the 1200 ones) and then set to the grip. I tried all sorts of ideas to remove. Soaked it in Isopropyl Alcohol for 10 days, then put it in a vice trying to rotate and/or pull it off and some heat. Another hour wasted and then I thought bugger it and cut it off. The glue was really soft, but the grip was wedged on so tight there was no way it was coming off.

Lesson learned - I am going to the Honda dealer to have the second one installed. Maybe the Helibar is fractionally wider, I don't know, but i am going to let the dealer do it.

DH just my 2 cents worth.

I am about to install heated grips to mine with Helibars. I have read on this forum (i think) that the H bars are 0.44 larger. I ordered my VFR with H bars and heated grips and was told by the workshop *&^%head that heated grips will not fit those bars.

My point being the dealer is possibly going to jam the new one on and then tell you hey guess what those heated grips don't fit those bars!

Could someone who has done the install with success advise me the best method. Hairspray ?? Alcohol ??

Cheers

• Member Contributer

DH just my 2 cents worth.

I am about to install heated grips to mine with Helibars. I have read on this forum (i think) that the H bars are 0.44 larger. I ordered my VFR with H bars and heated grips and was told by the workshop *&^%head that heated grips will not fit those bars.

My point being the dealer is possibly going to jam the new one on and then tell you hey guess what those heated grips don't fit those bars!

Could someone who has done the install with success advise me the best method. Hairspray ?? Alcohol ??

Cheers

I've done the install of OEM heated grips on Helibars on my 1200. Use plenty of isopropyl alcohol, nothing else. Even then it'll be tight towards the end. You need to line up the joint in the switch to the seam on the grip as shown in the instructions. Get it lined up the best you can as you start to push it on, and then push firmly and twist lightly as needed. Once it gets to the end it'll be on for good. You'll never have any issue with heating or slippage after the alcohol evaporates. Good luck. BTW, you might try letting the grip sit in the sun for an hour or so first...might help.

M99

Thanks for your advise.

I was thinking of that method myself unless someone came up with an option that sounded plausible.

I have changed many a grip in the past, never used cement and never had a problem just used alcohol. Tomorrow is the big day.

The sun idea would have to help, I had the same thought, place it in hot water too the rim just before installation.

Cheers

Heaterz grip went on helibar with just good ol' water. Had to work quick and be very forceful, but it went on just fine. No glue. Don't see why you would possibly need it.

Archived