Vtec Engine Damage, Any Ideas?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

forgot to put in the post, he reckons the previous owner WAY over tightened the spark-plugs, stripping the thread...

I always heat the engine first then break torque on the sparks plugs because expansion helps the threads...

Torque a new plug and then break loose and re torque

Changing plugs In accordance to the shop manual re-torquing is not called nor is it necessary...

Wasn't there a recent post in this forum about another bike with a burned coil and plug recently?

Looks like a similar case here of the same problem, Gasses getting past the plug threads and burning the coil and plug, resulting in a failed cylinder.....

• Member Contributer

Wasn't there a recent post in this forum about another bike with a burned coil and plug recently?

Looks like a similar case here of the same problem, Gasses getting past the plug threads and burning the coil and plug, resulting in a failed cylinder.....

There were two, I believe. Both presented as failed COPs until further investigated.

A loose plug will eventually wear all of the threads out of the head via millions of vibrations, ask me how I know. I have never had this problem with any other vehicle over the last 35 years of changing and cleaning plugs. I'd advise folks to check their plug torque with a good quality torque wrench, both at install time, plus at intervals afterwards.

Its not vfr related, Ive seen it with many motors, and the reason for doing the drill with a new plug and gasket. It doesn't harm anything and saves a lot of potential head ache .

I do this on every motor.

• Member Contributer

Then ignore and reap the rewards, doesnt matter to me.

Just trying to make sure those who may not know any better get accurate information... :warranty:

• Member Contributer

forgot to put in the post, he reckons the previous owner WAY over tightened the spark-plugs, stripping the thread...

I always heat the engine first then break torque on the sparks plugs because expansion helps the threads...

Torque a new plug and then break loose and re torque

Changing plugs In accordance to the shop manual re-torquing is not called nor is it necessary...

Have to agree after reading the shop manual .

Just trying to make sure those who may not know any better get accurate information... :warranty:

Experience doesn't always come from a book

• Member Contributer

But yous can always sue the one that wrote the book!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Experience doesn't always come from a book

Neither do opinions...

Engineers develop the specs and processes for a defined reason, as a team, with multiple inputs and perspectives. Just because you chose to do something different and it hasn't caused you any harm doesn't mean you haven't increased the likelihood of an unintended consequence you haven't considered or may not fully understand.

Not speaking from opinion but tested and proven fact.

You want to argue cause its not in a book , that's okay, I know I sure didn't learn it from a book, but I know what works on the matter.

• Member Contributer

Not speaking from opinion but tested and proven fact.

You want to argue cause its not in a book , that's okay, I know I sure didn't learn it from a book, but I know what works on the matter.

Tested proven fact needs experimental design and data analysis with statistically significant results to support that statement. Please provide this information so we can all be enlightened.

• Member Contributer

Its all been tested, what you fail to understand, Im not here to impress you or gain your acceptance. Like I said ignore and reap the rewards, doesn't matter to me.

It's not about you... it's about making sure VFR owners get good reliable info when they visit this forum. It's about making sure when people read "Torque a new plug and then break loose and re torque" they understand that is your opinion and not "tested and proven fact"...

If you're giving your opinion own it... don't try to pass it off as anything else.

By the same token there might be some chump who wants to know how to prevent a new plug from coming loose, and why that can happen.

what I said works, nothing worth making a huge case over , its so simple to do, to even make a case borders on silliness.

• Member Contributer

By the same token there might be some chump who wants to know how to prevent a new plug from coming loose, and why that can happen.

I think most can figure it out for themselves want they want to do, or not do. Of course if they need a Nanny I'll send them your way.

VFRD members aren't "chumps" nor do they need a "nanny" they just want the facts...

What bugs me is there had been many times when some time after I install plugs they seem to be too easy to take off the next time, which kinda chides me to re-torque them between replacement intervals.

Can't MC and plug manufacturers come up with a more positive and consistent plug mount other than doing it with threads? It would really simplify things, especially with not so easy to reach plugs, like on MC motors

Archived