Screwing Up A 06

gmtech94

• Member Contributer

I bought Veefer canucks bike but all the fairings are off and the bike is stripped down . Does anyone have a good set of diagrams as to what screws go where or some close pics of all the body panels . I have a bucket of bolts and would like to get this bike back on the road .Thanks in advance for your help .

• Member Contributer

He couldn't help you? Hey - Who doesn't like a good puzzle? That WOULD be a tough job if you got a box of fasteners handed to you with no diagram!

• Member Contributer

You've basically got three different size allen bolts in this diagram.

The ones labeled "10" are quite short. Part #1 is the lower inner cowl. The four allen bolts that fasten it onto the side cowls are definitely longer than the ones labeled "10" but shorter than the ones labeled "9". Excluding the allen bolts labeled "10", all other allen bolts screw into well nuts (part #11). For everything else, use the plastic fairing clips (be careful with them because somebody learning how they function for the first time will invariably break a few; ask me how I know).

I know all this because I've removed these cowls more times than I can count. If you were here, I could have it all back together for you in minutes.

post-8583-0-38117000-1428810250.jpg

• Member Contributer

There are generally two types of clip, they ar both of the expanding grip type, one with a cross head screw & one with a push bottom, usually used on the bottom of the panel joins.

The cross head, only unscrews, to remove loosen it with a screw driver, when the head is out 3-4mm then use a very thin flat blade under the body rim to prise it out.

To replace, leav it in the open position & hold the outer rim, locate fully in the hole, then either push the centre or screw it to the closed position.

The push button only goes IN, to undo, you push IN on the centre, so it moves from flush to indented a couple of mm. Then as above prise the outer out of the hole.

To replace, push the centre pin out so that it is proud of the out side, you will see the indents in the pin that allow the outer petels to compress. Insert into the hole& when the outer rim is flush, use a flat blade that is wider than the centre button to push it in until it is flush with the oute, which is the locked position.

• Member Contributer

Is it just me or are all VFR fairing screws and clips a pain in the arse? Thinking of junking all mine and getting a set of these http://www.bighead.co.uk/english/products/standardbigheads.html with a rubber washer.

• Member Contributer

Link not working.

And yes, the OEM are a pain, especially where they are used to attach the upper section of the fairing in front of the bike (part # 1 in diagram shown in post 4). You have to get 2 tabs behind, the middle in front and then blindly align 6 holes to fit the clips. Gotta be a better way!

• Member Contributer

Who? Not me?

I wondered about that. It had me thinking "I didn't know he had a 6th gen . . . "

• Member Contributer

Link not working.

And yes, the OEM are a pain, especially where they are used to attach the upper section of the fairing in front of the bike (part # 1 in diagram shown in post 4). You have to get 2 tabs behind, the middle in front and then blindly align 6 holes to fit the clips. Gotta be a better way!

Try this link But I think it's more work to sort this out than to deal with fairing screws.

• Member Contributer

Link not working.

Try this link But I think it's more work to sort this out than to deal with fairing screws.

Thanks digitally, link was working then??? Spent nearly an hour this afternoon putting fairings back on (again) Definitely gonna sort them out now, sick to death trying to align everything. Will see what quantities bighead will do, if not going to buy some s/s nuts, s/s washers, rubber washers,superglue and make my own. Theres gotta be an easier way.

Careful with the #10 ones... they have a shoulder on the shaft and you have to make sure the shoulder doesn't catch on the edge of the orifice in the cowling/fairing you are putting the bolt through or you will crack the fairing's plastic as you tighten the bolt down...

Archived