Carb/starter Valve Synchronizer Tool Question

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

I could not tell any difference between balanced or offset at idol, and been advised throttle response may be better with offset so went offset this time.

there is a video on youtube from motion pro sync showing how to use, make sure the small restricters are in the hoses and at the bike end of the hose.

#3 was off about 30mmhg since last sync 2 yrs ago, before breaking and chasing mercury around the garage, the two headed mice seem much lager now.

• Member Contributer

I could not tell any difference between balanced or offset at idol, and been advised throttle response may be better with offset so went offset this time.

there is a video on youtube from motion pro sync showing how to use, make sure the small restricters are in the hoses and at the bike end of the hose.

#3 was off about 30mmhg since last sync 2 yrs ago, before breaking and chasing mercury around the garage, the two headed mice seem much lager now.

That mite explain the 25 mpg's ?

I would pull the plugs .

• Member Contributer

Plugs look good, full system w/ air box mods, custom PC map, and having to keep RPM's between 6-11000 trying and keep you in site, and your just cruising at 4000rpm pointing out all the scenery when I'm trying to focus on not blowing the next turn = 25mpg ;)

• Member Contributer

I used the motion pro today works great as good or better then mercury. Has 40cmhg max = 400mmhg, I gave each line 15mmhg value to stagger vacuum levels per manual.

I checked my Motion Pro against the gauge on my vacuum bleeder. The blue fluid response seems non linear vs a vac gauge, but I would say if anything each unit is a bit less than 10mm Hg.

I'd also agree that off idle response doesn't seem much different balanced or staggered. So long as they're near enough the idle sounds alright to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Terry,

Thx for checking against a gauge, that really helps! i was giving them a value based on motionpro having a max of 400mmHg, but did not know if that was within measurements or end to end and no one at motionpro new either. So i figured 12.5-17.5 and split the difference at 15mmHg, knowing +_5 would keep me within tolerance.

• Member Contributer

How's this for coincidence, on one of the other forums I frequent, a member was selling his Motion Pro Sync Pro for $75 (shipped from AZ), so I pulled the trigger. Although I was leaning in the other direction earlier (Emgo style), I figured this was a sign. We'll see how it goes and I'll update the class once I get a chance to work with it.

Cheers

I never thought I would be quoting myself :laugh: but the seller text me yesterday and said that UPS called him to tell him that there was an accident and that one of the drivers ran over a pallet of boxes, thus crushing the one headed for me! So back to the drawing board...From unobtanium to outright pricey, looks like unless I find the Kawa Seiki or the VacuumMate at a decent price, I'll be heading toward the Emgo style like I was originally planning. Just waiting for my refund from the seller. :sad:

• Member Contributer

So I have yet to synch my starter valves and the only tool I have now is the board with the long tubing and ATF inside. It worked great on my ninja 250 and made the little beast idle and run great but I'm wondering how I could use it for the vfr.

I was thinking 3 are adjustable, one is fixed. Hook up one end of the tubing to the fixed and synch all three to that one. Then go buy a simple vacuum gauge (one dial) and hook that one up to the one that needs to be lower by a certain amount and back it off using the dial.

Any reason that would not work?

• Member Contributer

I think doing one adjustable starter valve at a time would be ok just more time consuming. Assuming you're working on a 5th gen the valves are not all synched exactly to the fixed one, two of them are offset and by different amounts.

So I have yet to synch my starter valves and the only tool I have now is the board with the long tubing and ATF inside. It worked great on my ninja 250 and made the little beast idle and run great but I'm wondering how I could use it for the vfr.

I was thinking 3 are adjustable, one is fixed. Hook up one end of the tubing to the fixed and synch all three to that one. Then go buy a simple vacuum gauge (one dial) and hook that one up to the one that needs to be lower by a certain amount and back it off using the dial.

Any reason that would not work?

Keep in mind, as you're adjusting the vacuum of one cylinder, the vacuum of the other three will change.

• Member Contributer

Now why would the vacuum change between 1 and 2 by adjusting say 3? I can understand that idle speed might change but I can't see how that would affect the relative vacuum difference between the other two valves. Not saying you're wrong I just don't understand why that would occur.

if the idle speed changes, you're moving either more or less air through the engine.

this affects the vacuum readings on all cylinders.

I just did mine, and set them all flat, equal with cyl #1 and it runs perfectly!

I just did mine, and set them all flat, equal with cyl #1 and it runs perfectly!

On my 2004 the fixed cylinder is #4 and allothers get balanced to that one are the later models diferent ?

(Assuming you have a 2010 from your sig )

• Member Contributer

While installing my PAIR block-off plates I decided I'd check and sync the starter valves. The HSM seems a bit odd when it comes to the starter valves. It shows there are 4 of them, notes that #1 is non-adjustable, lists the adjustments for 3 and 4, but totally omits the setting for #2. So I set them evenly and I guess I'll see how that works out. I used my Morgan CarbTune and it worked like a champ. The graduations are in cm so it's fairly easy to set them.

• Member Contributer

The service manual could be written more clearly. What it does say (and I'm paraphrasing here) is to set them all the same, then offset 3 and 4. That means that 2 stays the same as 1. TBH I'm not sure whether the offset makes much difference to an even set up.

• Member Contributer

Okay, I went back downstairs and reread the pertinent paragraph, and it now makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. It's clear as day after you know how it works. :beer:

Archived