Dmr Fork Kit First Ride Report

gig

• Member Contributer

DMR fork kit, wow, You ride a bike with the same set up for ten years and you get used to and adapt to the way it handles. I have a Penske rear recently maintenanced by Penske, and I thought i had front set up as well as possible with race tech spring and gold valves, but not even close to how it feels now! Its is much firmer and at the same time much more supple. Seems contradictory because i have always had to make it more harsh to get a firmer feel before, not able to change valving, i would try adjusting feel with preload and different viscosity oils. Now no front end diving excessively on entry into corners, or on down hill and switchbacks. Incredibly stable with good feel and feedback. The front suspension never seamed to be adequate for the Penske rear, now it fells like the opposite. I'll get the rear dialed in again now to be balanced with the front, and follow up.

Thanks Jamie for a great product your help and follow up.

post-23210-0-45934500-1428519047.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the writeup, I'm anxiously awaiting mine. Do you mind sharing the specifics of your setup? Rider weight, spring weight, preload, damping adjustments... Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I sent him bike weight as less 35lbs dry weight, rider weight 170, had 90kg race-tech springs already, Penske rear raised. He builds the shim stack / valving to spec. Has damping which you install one turn from closed then adjust as needed. I received the kit and was concerned about the preload spacer length being to short vs my current spacer. I emailed him with my concern and after measuring the new cap w/ preload spacer where he had it set vs my old cap w/ preload spacer that i had set meticulously per static and rider sag, it was the same to the mm.

Instructions enclosed are easy to follow, and have preload and damping setting and adjustment info needed.

• Member Contributer

Serviced shock, increased compresion valving, reset sag, bike is balanced, and ready for the season.

• Member Contributer

Come on Euro to Dollar exchange rate............ IMPROVE!!!!!!!!!

I want a set for my 4th gen.............. :blush:

• Member Contributer

This is my next "must do" job. Had my front forks "uprated" this winter but still not happy with diving front end. Fitted a Wilbers 631 on the rear and the difference is unbelievable. With a few track days planned this year gotta sort these forks out.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my front forks (DMr kit) over Christmas but they had their first proper outing at Cadwell Park this week (a very twisty UK track). Very happy with the result. The front feels much more secure when cornering and the dive on braking is far less and better controlled. I also did the rear at the same time (929 shock). The rear is slightly longer which lifts the rear slightly; this makes the bike feel like it wants to tip in, especially at slow speeds, but this goes away as the speed increases. The other effect I discovered is the bike has become easier to manoeuvre at very slow speeds - more stable and just easier to handle in very tight turns at or near full lock.

• Member Contributer

My forks are en route to JD for a cartridge kit install (I was too chicken to try and do it myself, something about forks scares me away), and they will return with one of his refreshed CBR shocks as well. Can't wait!

• Member Contributer

I hauled my '01 VFR800 down to Jaimie's over the winter. New fork internals, rebuilt Honda 929 shock. He set it up for my weight and riding style. Now that I've had a chance to ride it, the transformation is remarkable. I've had five fifth gens over the past 10 years and never touched the suspension on any of them. I figured at less than 150 pounds suspensions did not mean much. Boy was I wrong.

I had to adjust the effort to initiate a turn back considerably. Once leaned over I realized that previously I had been adjusting preasure constantly. Now the initiation phase seems to happen telepathically. And there is no adjustment necessary all the way throught the turn. It has increased my confidence tremendously and my turns are now silky smooth and effortless. And I have yet to try it out on anything more technical that freeway cloverleafs. I can't wait for Tmac!

It's been said before and I'll say it again; best money I've ever spent on these machines. Except for the initial purchase price that is. :wheel:

Jamie Rocks!

• Member Contributer

Did my front forks (DMr kit) over Christmas but they had their first proper outing at Cadwell Park this week (a very twisty UK track). Very happy with the result. The front feels much more secure when cornering and the dive on braking is far less and better controlled. I also did the rear at the same time (929 shock). The rear is slightly longer which lifts the rear slightly; this makes the bike feel like it wants to tip in, especially at slow speeds, but this goes away as the speed increases. The other effect I discovered is the bike has become easier to manoeuvre at very slow speeds - more stable and just easier to handle in very tight turns at or near full lock.

Just cos your front forks were better than mine. Stop rubbing it in. You know who i am. PMd you.

• Member Contributer

I just took my 4th gen out for the first time with the DMR front fork kits, just a quick ride, and you notice it pretty quick, like the others said, less dive under braking and less harshness over chops and bumps. The first thing I did was take some compression damping out of the Fox Twin Clicker to to get the front and back to match better. I plan a much longer/twister ride in the morning, so I can give more feed back then.

One quick question, with less diving under braking, will this impact the transition effort side to side?

Transition should only really be affected by raising the rear or lowering the front.

Lower the triple on the forks or raise the rear with washers & the bike becomes MUCH more responsive. Don't go too far or it becomes unstable.

• Member Contributer

After a quick Shady Valley ride, the forks are great, I am a bit rusty, but the ride wass great.

Transition should only really be affected by raising the rear or lowering the front.

Lower the triple on the forks or raise the rear with washers & the bike becomes MUCH more responsive. Don't go too far or it becomes unstable.

I forgot to mention that transition can also be affected by steering head bearings that are worn or loose...

• Member Contributer

Jamie finally emailed me yesterday! Attached an order form etc. Soon as i get back from the NW200 in 12 days time orders going in.

Archived