Video Of My Gen 8 In The Mountains

01ragtop

A friend of mine chased me through the twisties with his GSXR 750, and got a couple of decent videos. This was the first time in the twistie stuff with my new VFR, once I get a little more saddle time with the VFR, I think I can do better. I hadn't owned it a week when this was taken. Going back out to the mountains today. I love southern California!

• Member Contributer

Nice. Is there any way to edit the video and dub over the Gixxer engine sound with the sound of a V4 blasting through some Staintunes instead LOL ??

• Member Contributer

Nice video. ^^^ Exactly! Listening to that I-4 buzzing away makes me realize all the more why I love my VFR's so much.

Well, no Staintune, in fact, I am still running bone stock, but I managed to capture some sweet V4 VTec Intake noise today. For some reason all my videos default to low res, but HD is available by clicking on the settings.

• Member Contributer

Great video - bike sounds great too; thanks for sharing.

One question: I notice you spend a fair amount of time between 6K and 8K back and forth so I was wondering how the VTEC transition feels; is it switching back and forth? Can you feel anything/notice the transition? Thanks.

Nice vids.

Your right turn entries look a lot better than your lefts. You're turning in way early on your lefts, which puts you on the yellow mid corner. Could be trouble when one of those motor homes decides to occupy the same space.

I had the same problem until I started forcing myself to stare at the right hand white line before entering a left turn. Looking where I want to go puts me in the right part of my lane for left turn entry. Try it out.

Nice vids.

Your right turn entries look a lot better than your lefts. You're turning in way early on your lefts, which puts you on the yellow mid corner. Could be trouble when one of those motor homes decides to occupy the same space.

I had the same problem until I started forcing myself to stare at the right hand white line before entering a left turn. Looking where I want to go puts me in the right part of my lane for left turn entry. Try it out.

Thanks for the tips. I do struggle to stay to the outside long enough on the lefts. I need to work on that. It actually caused me to back off slightly on the turn at 1:14-1:20 in the video. Which leads me to this:

One question: I notice you spend a fair amount of time between 6K and 8K back and forth so I was wondering how the VTEC transition feels; is it switching back and forth? Can you feel anything/notice the transition? Thanks.

The only time I noticed the transition to Vtec in that video was on the turn at 1:15. You can actually see it in the tach too. I turned in too early, got off the throttle a little, and went into Vtec just off closed throttle. I did feel that Vtec transition, but my throttle work is piss poor through that entire turn. Other than that, I barely notice it, and as long as I am even with the throttle, I can roll on right through the transition even in mid corner.

So I'd say the only time I notice Vtec (aside from sound) is when I go through the transition just off closed throttle. Any other throttle position is nice and smooth.

Hope that helps.

• Member Contributer

Nice vids.

Thanks for the tips. I do struggle to stay to the outside long enough on the lefts. I need to work on that. It actually caused me to back off slightly on the turn at 1:14-1:20 in the video. Which leads me to this:

The only time I noticed the transition to Vtec in that video was on the turn at 1:15. You can actually see it in the tach too. I turned in too early, got off the throttle a little, and went into Vtec just off closed throttle. I did feel that Vtec transition, but my throttle work is piss poor through that entire turn. Other than that, I barely notice it, and as long as I am even with the throttle, I can roll on right through the transition even in mid corner.

So I'd say the only time I notice Vtec (aside from sound) is when I go through the transition just off closed throttle. Any other throttle position is nice and smooth.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Great bikes that sound and look great. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Try copying the link directly in to your post rather than using the "link" icon to insert it.

• Member Contributer

Sweet bike, great video - thanks!

While I think the old gear driven cams were great on my '95 and '99, and still doubt the value of VTEC in the VFR, I didn't find it took away from even track time on my '03 and it is even smoother on the '14. I've got a Two Bros pipe, and it certainly clears its throat as it passes from two valves to four, so it's quite entertaining in that regard.

Nice video. Beautiful scenery too. I'm headed to Palomar tomorrow; might get some good footage there.

Instead of pasting the link it gives you,try copying the link directly from the address bar and pasting that.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get any video of my Palomar Mountain run the other day; but yesterday, Mrs. 01ragtop and I got our picture taken going up the tight side. It's not the best action photography, but since it was our first time up Palomar on a bike, I went ahead and bought the photo.

59338606-20150418_PalomarMountain_0521.j

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On April 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Switchblade said:

The VTEC sounds seamless !!

I know your part of the country but can't figure out what highway that is.  Curiosity is killing the cat.  What highway is it?

2 hours ago, Bent said:

I know your part of the country but can't figure out what highway that is.  Curiosity is killing the cat.  What highway is it?

That is the 78 east of Julian, CA. Going down Banner Grade. 

8 hours ago, fink said:

Nice video.  You mate needs to work on his lines before he comes a cropper. 

My line is off on a couple of turns too. Especially between  4 and 5 minutes. It's easy to have it happen in those Esses. 

Archived