My New 6Th Generation Build

e30dean

Well I picked up an 04 Vfr800 a couple of weeks ago from another state and it is finally here. I was able to start her up last night and she seems to run great. The only modifications that I have been able to notice is heli bars and a hookup which seems to be for a battery tender. The bike needs some cosmetic work because the previous owner laid her down on the left side but it seems to be only 2 fairings that need some work.

First things first: Will take care of all maintenance needs such as new spark plugs, air filter and fluids changed.

I already have a list of things that I would like to change:

Handlebar grips and bar ends

Double bubble screen

Brake and clutch lever

Smoked turn signals for the front

I have a nice set of oem r1 exhausts to mount

Flapper and pair removal

Passenger grab bar removal

Painting the wheels white or black

Big Honda wing for the fairings

Well and for those of you that have made it this far, here is how she looks.

20150326_091755_zpsiqrkgfsn.jpg

20150326_091906_zpsokfnr3wf.jpg

20150326_091912_zpsoji5gw0n.jpg

20150326_091802_zpsgpqnsfrm.jpg

• Member Contributer

Congratulations and Welcome Aboard! Kudos for posting pics on your intro! Good luck and fun with your build out.

Thanks alot for your guys replies. I am going with the smoked because the rule in CA is that it has to blink either amber( or red in the rear) so I am just going to have orange bulbs to make sure it blinks properly. I have ran a vin check for recalls and looks like there are none showing for the bike. My assumption is that its been done then.

For VFRness (from wiremybike.com?) is the green/blue wire connector the only important fix to worry about?

• Member Contributer

If you used this website, it will show you any outstanding recalls for your VIN:

http://www.honda.com/recalls

A limited number of 6th gens had a recall for the brake rear proportioning valve but that would show if it applied to your bike.

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 05V-010

MFR CAMPAIGN ID: P65
RECALL DATE: 01/18/2005
SUMMARY:
CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.
SAFETY RISK:
IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
REMEDY:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FOR LEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 31, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870.

I checked the recall website and there were no recalls for my bike.

I made some progress today with the bike. Since Im waiting for the paperwork to be finalized, I decided to fix the cosmetic damage on the bike. Took some time to weld up the plastic fairings, reinforce them and sand them down. Tomorrow will be bondo and primer and hopefully painting them on wednesday.

20150330_155353_zps6uv3nphj.jpg

20150330_173426_zpsqbobxfeo.jpg

20150330_173411_zpsmqrsvktu.jpg

20150330_173404_zpsfgjrzwnj.jpg[/

So I finally got around to completing the bondo, primer and paint on the bike. I also got to changing the oil which was in really bad condition. Assembly will be tomorrow along with completing registration and then I get to take her out for her first ride. Bike will still need some wet sanding and buffing to get rid of the orange peel but that will be in a few weeks.

20150404_165434_zpsccw70htg.jpg
20150404_170142_zpsvym9wxbm.jpg
20150406_132547_zpsvvwjnahn.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sweet work. Keep it up and keep us posted.

Welcome. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Hope that double bubble works out good for you on the 6th gen. Was terrible for me on the 5th, moved the airstream right up to buffet the bottom edge of my helmet. Keep it in mind if you think the wind noise is a little excessive. Otherwise great looking bike. Nice job on the paint!

Well I finally got my registration done!! Now I can start making the bike my own. First thing coming off is the oem license plate bracket and exhausts. Here is the initial mock up of the r1 exhaust. I plan to raise it up to get it as close to the tail as possible and to shorten it about 2 inches. Video comparison to come soon.

20150415_155316_zpsytzxpdrg.jpg

20150415_155329_zpsruysyadd.jpg

20150415_162303_zpsyn8hl3pg.jpg

20150415_162345_zpsscs0hjki.jpg

Do you have the R1 heat shields too? Can you get a pic with them on too? How much lighter are they? Just a thought, but what about drilling another hole in the mounting tab to pull the pipes up higher? I'm thinking of going this route too. See in this vid how they are up tight against the cowl and light? I realize that it's on a R1, but hwo do we get the pipes up high like that?

OK, I just read where you are going to shorten them by two inches; how's this done? Also, what are your plans for raising the pipes closer to the cowl?

Do you have the R1 heat shields too? Can you get a pic with them on too? How much lighter are they? Just a thought, but what about drilling another hole in the mounting tab to pull the pipes up higher? I'm thinking of going this route too. See in this vid how they are up tight against the cowl and light? I realize that it's on a R1, but hwo do we get the pipes up high like that?

OK, I just read where you are going to shorten them by two inches; how's this done? Also, what are your plans for raising the pipes closer to the cowl?

Thats exactly what I did. I drilled another hole about 3/4" lower and it tucked the exhaust in perfectly. Unfortunately mine came with out the r1 heat shields so I will probably just cut the tabs off for mounting them and then put some insulation on the inside of the tail. And Ill post some pics when I shorten it but its basically a process of drilling out the factory rivets on the end cap, then cutting the outer and inner pipe the amount that you want to shorten it along with the insulation, then redrill new wholes for rivets and finally riveting the end cap back on.

Heres the new height that it will be sitting at. With the cans painted black the mounting tabs will barely be visible,

20150415_204454_zpsml0dlxto.jpg

20150415_204357_zpsv7abifew.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just paint the mounting tabs black...you won't see them...

Looks nice BTW...sounds nice w/o baffles...

Cool. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this route. One guy said he'll sell me the cans with the Race Baffle kit installed for $80. I need to see if they come with the heat shields.

Well my exhaust build just took another direction today. Had a friend go down and is now in need of an exhaust so I'll be donating mine for him to fix his bike. Looks like I'll be going the delkevic route probably.

Archived