Need Verification

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Now that I have my PitBull SSSA stand for my VFRs, I was planning on removing the center stand from the 5 Gen. Based on my observation and suspicion, it looks like the headers would have to be removed or loosened to get the right side bolt removed. Can anyone confirm this? I would hope that I don't but in the event that I do, I'll need to delay doing this until I have more time to get this done.

• Member Contributer

Yes, headers have to be removed.

That's what I figured. I'll wait until I get time and put on the cat-less headers at the same time.

I guess you really have to want it gone in a big way to go to so much trouble / work. :mellow:

My goal is to lighten the bike up as much as I can without going too crazy and since I have the PitBull stand and this is my play/track bike, the center stand can go IMO. The stock exhaust was replaced by a 2Bros CF can, so I lost a bit of weight already!

• Member Contributer

Well crap, I was going to take mine off and give it a new coat of black paint! :mad:

You just need to get creative with masking tape and paper, and spray things in-place! If you can't get at a surface easily then there's a good chance you won't be able to see it on the bike either. I did this with my headers and was very happy with the result:effort ratio.

• Member Contributer

Even without cats! I tried it once and the right side won't come out far enough with headers installed.

This is why they make cutoff wheels for die grinders & Dremels.

• Member Contributer

Another confirmation/verification or more or less seeing what others have done. If I remove the rear passenger pegs, the left one has the rear seat latch and helmet lock as part of the whole unit. Apart from cutting the peg portion off, is there an easy way to retain the seat lock portion? Is there possibly another bikes lock assembly that I could use?

• Member Contributer

Thanks Canuck, I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I ended up picking up a left side passenger peg for $15 and used that by cutting it down. It was quick, easy, cheap and allows me to keep the original pegs if I need to restore the bike later for whatever reason. Also didn't need to reinvent the wheel and keep the helmet lock to boot.

post-23057-0-93651900-1431390229.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I did the same thing. I cut mine (actually got wera803 to do it since he has access to a band saw at work), and got a spare to use with the GIVI since I don't really need the lock with a top case.

If your muffler uses the right side mount, see if Seb has the time/materials to fab up another muffler hanger:

Sebspeed Custom Muffler Hanger

tn_gallery_913_7537_117894.jpg

If your muffler uses the right side mount, see if Seb has the time/materials to fab up another muffler hanger:

Looks good. Seb strikes again. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I did the same thing. I cut mine (actually got wera803 to do it since he has access to a band saw at work), and got a spare to use with the GIVI since I don't really need the lock with a top case.

Would love to have a Sebspeed original but I ended up doing this with a piece of aluminum angle iron. (Pic was prior to removal of passanger rear set obviously)

IMG_1894_zpszq8ocve1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Another confirmation/verification or more or less seeing what others have done. If I remove the rear passenger pegs, the left one has the rear seat latch and helmet lock as part of the whole unit. Apart from cutting the peg portion off, is there an easy way to retain the seat lock portion? Is there possibly another bikes lock assembly that I could use?

i just zip tied the cable to the subframe, its tucked away and an easy pull on the cable to release the seat...

• Member Contributer

Oh right, the seat lock... I was thinking the helmet lock portion. On the second one I bought to use with the GIVI, I just leave the cable out of the lock to pull on when I need to release the seat. Thinking about drilling out the lock, or somehow disabling it so it just turns with any key. But haven't got around to it.

• Member Contributer

To remove the center stand right side bolt, it depends on what you want to achieve, if the removal of the stand is the end goal, then loosen the bolt, unscrew until it contacts the header & use a hacksaw or dremel type cutting tool to remove the bolt head, then unscrew the remaining threaded shaft with a pair of grips or pliers, it will be short enough without the head to come all the way out !

If you need to temporarily mount it a brake banjo bolt is the correct thread & shorter !

Archived