Best Replacement Battery?

Rider14

• Member Contributer

So the battery in my VFR is dead. ORiginal in a 2010 model, with only 2100 miles when I bought it so I'm not surprised.

Any suggestions? Anything wrong with a Western Power Sports YTZ14S?

- Dan

• Member Contributer

I couldn't find any, will try again. My search-fu must be weak today.

- Dan

I just searched again to no avail - can you point out a thread on replacement batteries other than the single thread talking about the Shorai lithium ion battery?

Searched:

battery

best battery replacement

yuasa

YTZ14S

nothing.

-Dan

So the battery in my VFR is dead. ORiginal in a 2010 model, with only 2100 miles when I bought it so I'm not surprised.

Any suggestions? Anything wrong with a Western Power Sports YTZ14S?

- Dan

With some aftermarket , you have to verify the sizing . Yuasa being the Bar, I know the scorpion is the same size, don't know about the western.

my oem Yuasa is still strong (9/30/2011) i've always had good luck with Yuasa...why mess with success ??

There's no question that Yuasa makes great batteries. For me personally, when my oem battery took a dump, the weight loss afforded by the Shorai was too great to ignore. It was equal to the weight gained when I added Givi side cases and brackets! I wouldn't have bought one just for the weight loss, but since I needed a battery anyway, it was a no-brainer for me. Losing eight lbs off the bike for an extra 50 bucks spent was worth every penny. I also live and ride in a cold climate area. The cold starting issues are non-issues, as the work around is so simple. Turn on the key and wait half a minute...problem solved. I've had my Shorai about a year and a half now without issue. I didn't invest in the cell balancer. I do occasionally plug in a typical Battery Tender, as I have an always-live USB charger installed that draws enough current to kill a battery if the bike sits a couple weeks. I believe that's what did in the original battery. So far the Shorai has given me no cause for concern. If it ever does, I'll share that info too.

• Member Contributer

THat's not for the VFR1200, totally different bike.

I went with what was cheap and available - an AGM for $90. Not a YUASA, but I was able to get it about 1 mile from my house and get on the road that AM (it ended up a function of impatience). Seems to be working fine, but it's an Extreme AGM, which I have heard happen to die right after the warranty expires... We shall see. LIkely get a lithium ion one next time.

THanks for the responses,

-Dan

• Member Contributer

With regard to conventional batteries, Yuasa's have been the best brand I've ever purchased. I pre-emptively replaced my OEM Yuasa at 7 y.o. (it's on a tender year 'round) and it was still turning the engine over fine. For all I know it could have made it to 10. I bought it from a local independent repair shop that obtains the batteries dry from the wholesaler and then adds the acid and charges the battery the day before delivery. That way I knew it was fresh when installed.

The OEM YTZ14S batt is not cheap. Genuine Yuasa is $160 at most places. Shorai is actually cheaper. I already had the same size Shorai for a previous bike, so it was an easy choice. If I had to buy again, I don't see payin more for a heavier batt.

If I live way up north and ride in extreme low temp, then lead acid may be...

As is, I have no desire to do either.

Living in the frozen tundra, I've never had a problem with Yusa batteries... Would you want to go with a lead acid if you actually run your bike in the cold? Once temperatures drop below freezing, the bike batteries go down into the basement and say nice and warm.

I purchased a WestCo battery for my FJR, but I didn't hang onto that bike long enough to know if that was better/worse than a Yusa.

• Member Contributer

Western Power Sports was the initial intended purchase - 2 year warranty, $95. But it was out of stock at the auto parts store, so I went with the Extreme AGM...hey, I'm on the road and happy. I thjnk the earranty is only 1 year on this, but I can live with it.

-Dan

• 2 months later...

Yap, go with the largest one that fits. Actually, even if it is slightly too large, it might be okay. Shorai is so light, it doesn't need to be bolted or strapped down tight like a heavy lead acid. I improvised a smaller strap on my S3 and had no problem.

i mean from the saddle....do you really think that paring 8 lbs from a 600lb motorcycle makes any appreciable difference

The OEM YTZ14S batt is not cheap. Genuine Yuasa is $160 at most places. Shorai is actually cheaper. I already had the same size Shorai for a previous bike, so it was an easy choice. If I had to buy again, I don't see payin more for a heavier batt.

If I live way up north and ride in extreme low temp, then lead acid may be...

As is, I have no desire to do either.

You have a computer , so pull up battery stuff.com. 14,s (yuasa)can be had around $120, the scorpion 14, has been as good as the yuasa, the nuts are cheaper, but for $40 less money, that can be dealt with .

• Member Contributer

could you really feel the weight difference ????? seriously ....???

Well that depends on what other weight saving items you have fitted to your VFR1200, I am looking at saving 20 kls, of the original weight, so yes I would feel the difference.

• Member Contributer

Understood, but I thought it might help decide on a brand or type. :rolleyes:

And all fit the 1200 and the 800 .

For most of us mere mortals... most likely not.

OTOH, consider what lengths mfrs go to to shave a few lbs off a bike. Here, compared to the expensive OEM Yuasa YTZ14BS, the larger Shorai is only at most $50 more.

My 1st Shorai is going on 3yrs old and still test strong with a load tester. Will see just how long it lasts. Service life is looking to be another plus.

Archived