Loading Into Truck

CHUCK2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I use two 2"x10" planks with the Alu ramp ends at the tailgate. One ramp for the bike and one for me to walk along side. I feather the clutch and brake and have it running in first. You just have to commit and follow through. I do whatever/wherever to level out the ramp as much as I can. Look around and take the time to find a hill to help. Effortless the more level you are. There is a ditch at the track I go to and the ramp in is perfectly level. Well worth it to be safe.

• Member Contributer

I have not had much problem with the brake on the ramp since the front brake does work both brakes.

The front brake will only work the rear brake if you're moving forward, not going backward since you won't be activating the secondary master cylinder rolling backward. If you try to back down a ramp using only the front brake, you will, repeat will, slide the front tire. Unless the ramp is very, very sticky.

I've not tried using the clutch to keep things under control backing down, but I've talked to people who do it that way and it works for them.

I start back a little bit so I've got a bit of momentum when I hit the bottom of the ramp. If you start right at the bottom of the ramp you're almost sure to spin out or stall. Doing it that way you really have to have the ramp securely in place, that's an absolute must.

• Member Contributer

Ok but I have never had a problem with the front sliding but my ramp is not that steep with a two wheel drive pickup. I always load and unload by hand ....never on the bike.

I always look for a nice natural spot to reduce the ramp angle to nearly nothing.

A low retaining wall at a park, back the truck into the ditch at an approach, whatever.

Something to get the truck 18-24 inches lower than the ground the bike will be sitting on.

I hate loading on flat ground. Bad idea.

And always always always ratchet strap the ramp to the truck bumper tightly to prevent it shifting or slipping while the bike is on the ramp.

Having a couple helpers is nice, but I've done it unaided when I had very favourable elevations, traction, and a well thought out plan beforehand.

• Member Contributer

Ok but I have never had a problem with the front sliding but my ramp is not that steep with a two wheel drive pickup. I always load and unload by hand ....never on the bike.

If you're not riding it down you won't have an issue with the front tire slipping.

• Member Contributer

I have THIS one. Never failed me yet.

$_12.JPG

Do you walk or ride your bike up & down it?

I take about 20 foot head start and ride up.

The trick to it is NOT to chicken out and keep on the gas until the front wheel touches the truck bed.

I have a spray-in bed liner, which helps me stop before crashing into the cab. W/O it you may have to ride up slowly, but since the ramp is wide enough, you can keep both feet on it for stability.

Riding up slowly will not cause you to spin the rear either, since the center section provides good traction.

Did it in the rain, did it in the dry, did it at odd angles - never had problems.

Actually, riding it back down is more of an anxious event for me, since I cannot use rear brake and the front doesn't really hold all that much while moving backwards.

This, I learned, is also not that big-a-deal if you don't try to brake all that much :wink:

Having a 100 people watching me get off when I arrive at TMack makes no difference at all. No pressure :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If you're not riding it down you won't have an issue with the front tire slipping.

Don't have the guts to ride up/down into the bed but I do sometimes when I load the bike into my Kendon Trailer.

Having a 100 people watching me get off when I arrive at TMack makes no difference at all. No pressure :goofy:

You would think at least 1 or 2 might offer a hand. :wink:

Avoiding obvious play on phrase "get off". Oops. :goofy::comp13:

• Member Contributer

You would think at least 1 or 2 might offer a hand. :wink:

Avoiding obvious play on phrase "get off". Oops. :goofy::comp13:

No hands. A Good Game or two Maybe :491:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Another VFR load last weekend in Phoenix. Rode out from San Diego and did a loop the next day and then hitched a ride with my bride home. I probably have had the ramp for 12 years or so and it still works although as I have said before most likely I would buy a readyramp now.

Tires in the gutter and straps staged and ready to go in the alley adjacent to the downtown hotel. Spare tire used as a step.

med_gallery_2144_2760_942539.jpg

I've used a milk crate for years as a step, but recently installed a Debo step. I haven't loaded a bike with it yet, but have used it a few times just to get in and out of the bed of the truck. It can be pulled out a little if the tailgate is closed or pulled out all of the way if the tailgate is down. My truck is a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD with Hummer H2 wheels and tires (34.5" tall), so it isn't a low rider. :cool:

www.debostep.com

• Member Contributer

Another VFR load last weekend in Phoenix. Rode out from San Diego and did a loop the next day and then hitched a ride with my bride home. I probably have had the ramp for 12 years or so and it still works although as I have said before most likely I would buy a readyramp now.

Tires in the gutter and straps staged and ready to go in the alley adjacent to the downtown hotel. Spare tire used as a step.

What is that in the bed of your truck that extends onto the tailgate?

• Member Contributer

You wanna know a secret? Not one thing in the universe requires you to load a single bike in the bed of a truck centered! I started several years ago to load on the right side. Gives more room to deal with the bike, and more importantly doesn't leave a giant obstruction in your rear view mirror.

• Member Contributer

You wanna know a secret? Not one thing in the universe requires you to load a single bike in the bed of a truck centered! I started several years ago to load on the right side. Gives more room to deal with the bike, and more importantly doesn't leave a giant obstruction in your rear view mirror.

Funny you should write that. I just moved my bike and gear from a rental unit. I have been around for a long time. First time ever I decided to load a single bike off center. Easier to load, right side because of how I load it. I had room to stand and move around. Room to load the rest of the gear. Talk about thick headed, at least I finally saw the light. Oh, and so what if the truck is slightly out of balance. Do you always drive with equal people on each side? Thought so. Good one Carver!

• Member Contributer

I would think that it would be more difficult to tie down with it off-centered since you can't get at one side of the bike.

It wouldn't be a bother to me to have the rear view obstructed since I have a mirror on each door. And is seeing a VFR in your mirror really an obstruction??

• Member Contributer

Good on ya Austin! :beer:

Well, I use a Baxley Sport Chock. :cool: Roll it into the chock, flip the lock tab, strap the rear to the back tie downs, and done! Also, leave in gear.

If you're headed to the track, leaves plenty of room on the left for cooler, easy-up, chairs, tool box, etc. And the ramp, of course.

Only trouble I've ever had with that setup is when I listened to someone else who convinced me to strap the rear to the front tie down points. Not stable at all! And it was centered at the time. Also forgot to leave it in gear once, and the whole thing was 4-5 inches back by the time I got home from the track.

You are under no obligation to believe me, but it's not something that I tried on a whim one time. Many track days and race weekends have honed my truck loading procedure, down to the milk crate step.

And by the way, not seeing past the VFR/F3/ZX6R/RC51 in my mirror is by very definition an obstruction. Look at it all you want in your spare time, but why compromise your vision while driving if it isn't necessary?

• Member Contributer

Just a piece of plywood. I use it to primarily help protect the latch for the truck bed cover from the ramp during loading. The plywood also distributes the load a bit more from just the tailgate. I worried more about this load when GM recalled the tailgate wires!!!! I also have tried different setups (i.e. chocks/no chocks, luggage on/off, center, offset etc.) on both my trailer and truck loads and this is what I prefer although I always listen to new secrets in order to improve the process.

• Member Contributer

$_12.JPG

I just got one of these ramps. The straps that came with it have a hook on only one end. How do I use them like that?

• Member Contributer

You are under no obligation to believe me, but it's not something that I tried on a whim one time. Many track days and race weekends have honed my truck loading procedure, down to the milk crate step.

And by the way, not seeing past the VFR/F3/ZX6R/RC51 in my mirror is by very definition an obstruction. Look at it all you want in your spare time, but why compromise your vision while driving if it isn't necessary?

I was just kidding about the obstruction stuff.

Just a piece of plywood. I use it to primarily help protect the latch for the truck bed cover from the ramp during loading. The plywood also distributes the load a bit more from just the tailgate. I worried more about this load when GM recalled the tailgate wires!!!! I also have tried different setups (i.e. chocks/no chocks, luggage on/off, center, offset etc.) on both my trailer and truck loads and this is what I prefer although I always listen to new secrets in order to improve the process.

Since my bike extends almost 9" onto the tailgate, I'm trying to come up with a way to do the same. Preferably something sturdier than plywood. Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

$_12.JPG

I just got one of these ramps. The straps that came with it have a hook on only one end. How do I use them like that?

I just looped one end of mine around one of the crossbars.

• Member Contributer

I don't understand how I could do that with this strap since the part of it that attaches to my truck has a loop to grab onto on one end & nothing on the other. The hook of it is attached to the cam buckle part.

I don't understand how I could do that with this strap since the part of it that attaches to my truck has a loop to grab onto on one end & nothing on the other. The hook of it is attached to the cam buckle part.

Buy a different tiedown.........

• Member Contributer

I forgot to mention that I installed a length of Unistrut across the front of the bed. Below the point where the tire presses. This gives me endless locations to hook to and perfect compression to the forks. It is U bolted to the bed.

Archived