Loading Into Truck

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

The ramp I use does come with two straps that secure it to the truck while loading and unloading. A must IMHO.

I transport the ramp folded on its side leaned to one of the bed sides. Same straps are used to secure the folded ramp to the side of the truck. Zero chance of it moving or falling.

I was looking at those ramps also and thinking that since they aren't arched, the bike would bottom out. Apparently you don't have that problem.

I use mine to get my VFR into my trailer so it isn't as high as a truck bed but you can compensate for that by paying attention to how you park in the first place.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Don't let anyone film ya :goofy:

Unless the rider said: "Film me in my sunglasses while I ride the Bonnie unaided up a skinny ramp at an acute angle ..." what about the two doofuses (doofi?) filming rather than helping the guy load his bike? Isn't a Bonnie about the same weight as a 6th gen VFR? Surely three guys could push it up the ramp, lift it over the hump and into the truck? Isn't that how a lot of bikes are stolen? Three (or four) guys hop out of a truck or van, pick the bike up, load it and take off?

• Member Contributer

I have cleats in the 4 corners of the bed & 6 stake holes on the rails on my truck. But I still can't picture how I'd be able to run a strap high enough on the ramp to keep it upright. I must be misunderstanding something. Maybe using the stake holes would be high enough.

• Member Contributer

I just use the straps to keep the lip of the ramp from sliding backwards off the tailgate and depositing everything on the ground in a heap. That's why strapping it to the bumper works.

The ramp can hold itself - straps are to keep it from going anywhere.

• Member Contributer

We are talking about how to secure the ramp in the bed during transport because it is too wide to lay down.

• Member Contributer

Gotcha. Sorry about that, missed the change.

Stand it on the long edge close to the wheel well and strap the bottom corners to the cleats, then lean the top to the outside and strap the top edge to the stake holes?

I've seen people run a strap down to the outside wheel arch too, be more of a last resort for me though.

• Member Contributer

Gotcha. Sorry about that, missed the change.

Stand it on the long edge close to the wheel well and strap the bottom corners to the cleats, then lean the top to the outside and strap the top edge to the stake holes?

I've seen people run a strap down to the outside wheel arch too, be more of a last resort for me though.

I'm too lazy to actually get the ramp and take a picture of it strapped to the side of the bed.

Just take my word for it. It ain't no rocket science.

Loading and unloading a bike into a truck always makes me nervous.

Although I have never had a fail there.

I have a good aluminum ramp with a little arch and about a foot wide. A step stool is good to get from ground to tail gate.

I think a wide ramp would ease my useless worries.

But, as long as you stay on the straight and narrow you are good.

Also keep moving when uphill loading.

I have never tried it with engine running, I want a pusher to load,

and guidance as I back it down off the truck to stay on ramp.

My Tacoma bed is a little too short, I have to leave the gate open.

The back wheel needs a place to rest.

I would much rather ride than truck it. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

I have THIS one. Never failed me yet.

$_12.JPG

Do you have a full size truck?

I'm seriously considering getting these but was reading that they are recommended for small 2WD trucks. I have a full size 4WD.

• Member Contributer

You can use them with a full size truck, but the slope will be greater because they aren't as long. It just makes it a bit harder to roll them up. Kind of depends on how tall the truck is. I've used it with a full sized 2WD, and it wasn't bad.

• Member Contributer

$_12.JPG

Do you have a full size truck?

I'm seriously considering getting these but was reading that they are recommended for small 2WD trucks. I have a full size 4WD.

I do have a full size 4WD truck. Sometimes I do wish that it was a little lower, but I've been loading and unloading using this ramp for many years now w/o any issues.

Just takes a little practice.

To me, the loading is the easier of the two - Just like flying. Easier to take off than to land kinda thing.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, backing it down the ramp and using just the front brake don't do the trick. All it does is pick up speed down the ramp. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I noticed that when unloading my XR. So I put it in gear (engine not running of course) that way while I walk beside it, I can keep my hands on the grips & work the clutch like it's a rear brake. I'm figuring that I can do the same with my VFR.

• Member Contributer

In actuality. I roll with a PitBull Trailer Restraint System. and it is trey groovy

10308212_10203832151503951_4694580495635

How did you load the one in your truck?

$_12.JPG

Could this ramp be used with the 3 sections strapped together rather than bolted?

• Member Contributer

$_12.JPG

Could this ramp be used with the 3 sections strapped together rather than bolted?

It could. But you wouldn't want to.

• Member Contributer

Is Canyon Dancer Bar Harness II better than the original?

And which size would I need?

• Member Contributer

Is Canyon Dancer Bar Harness II better than the original?

And which size would I need?

I have both and yes Gen II is superior as it protects the grips better. However I used this PVC pipe mod with the CD to protect the grips on my VFR and other bikes. It works like a charm!

med_gallery_2144_2004_319941.jpg

You can see also that the original CD with straps will ride a little closer to the fairings than the new version.

med_gallery_2144_5984_2172835.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, BonusVFR.

When using the original one, does it tend to twist the grip enough that it causes the throttle to open?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

$_12.JPG

Do you walk or ride your bike up & down it?

• Member Contributer

I ride mine up. Not a big deal as long as you're careful. Spinning the tire, or stalling it halfway up is the main issue. For me, coming down is harder than going up. You can't use just the front brake or the tire will slide and you'll just pick up speed down the ramp. And I studiously avoid loading/unloading in the wet.

• Member Contributer

Do you just start off at the bottom of the ramp or a distance away?

When unloading have you ever tried putting the bike in gear (engine not running of course) & work the clutch as if it's the rear brake?

Archived