Bar Conversion

flexiflyer

• Member Contributer

I have arthritis bad as of a couple years ago. I went on a 3800 mile excursion on her last year and it was enough that I almost sold her........not that I didn't enjoy myself :wink: I came to my senses and decided to try and make the ergo's more palatable even though I'm the gimp not her. So I decided to give the LSL conversion a shot. I grew up on RD's, Triples, KZ's, GS's etc with superbike bars and am used to them even though I don't really like them......and they do look odd to me on a faired semi-modern bike but I just want to ride. So everyone knows what they look like/cost etc and there is no shortage of info from those that have used them.

lslsuperbikevfr80098-01.jpg

I was looking for something on Webike Japan and discovered these by accident. Google found me nothing as far as anyone speaking English was concerned. h1-hbk606a_1.jpg

I like the look of these way better. If you study the design, where LSL is using the "risers" themselves to gain much of the pullback/heighth and use the flatter/straighter sbk bars, Hurricane is using the bars for the gains and the "risers" are much more neutral. The price shipped is around $100 less than the LSL and the bars are already drilled for the switchgear. I ordered a set today......I guess I am the guinea pig. If I don't like the bars I can just experiment with my own risers/bars till I get it right. They also have some other items of interest regarding this I will link to.

The kit........ http://japan.webike.net/products/2076546.html

Bare clamps..... http://japan.webike.net/products/2075578.html

Extended throttle cables if you need them.... http://japan.webike.net/products/2074342.html

Extended starter cable... http://japan.webike.net/products/2073560.html

Or, the complete Big kahuna :goofy:http://japan.webike.net/products/2076745.html

So, we shall see what we see, usually takes a couple weeks to get parts from their store

I too grew up with KZs, GSs, RZs, etc. I put superbike bars on EVERYTHING. From Triumphs to Harleys to XS1100s to my beloved V65 Sabre. In fact, when I told an old friend of mine that I was considering another Sabre, his first response was "You can put the superbike bars on at my house"

Let us know how it turns out.

• Member Contributer

I agree that is a good find, please keep us posted. The kit certainly looks great with the chrome bar and I think the red end weights are very neat too.

I too have started suffering with wrist pain, especially the right side. I have some higher bars already ( a local equivalent of Helibars) that supposedly raise the bars by 30mm, back by 10mm and wider by 10mm, fitted by a PO. I also seem to be getting carpal tunnel syndrome. This getting older thing is a PITA (or wrist and knees).

• Member Contributer

Leverage is the issue :wink::smile: Got the shipping verification last night. It was $223 total shipped with a 500 yen coupon I had. I believe they are uber polished aluminum and not chrome. As far as the screen goes I won't know till I ride her. I currently have an MRA speedscreen installed (basically a stock screen with a laminar lip) and will try that first. I have a PUIG double bubble and the stock screens as well and access to borrow a huge/ugly Givi touring screen to try if necessary. I think the Speedscreen will be fine based on nothing but hope. I am 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and how the air hits me now I'm thinking will be better with the changes. I also got a great deal on a used set of Knight drop pegs so will fit those into the mix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Static follow up......I'm doing several items of maintenance/farkling before I can do a ride report so this is based solely on the garage mock up for the moment.

Japan.webike was solid as always. Install would be 45 minutes tops if you were bare bones / not dealing with grip heaters, etc

The parts have a top notch finish/packaging. The police bike ape hanger kit I linked in the first post is the one you see on all the VFR police bikes so they aren't a fly by night affair.... a well respected and thought of company in that part of the world.

Once you install, you can see how well thought out the design was. The starter cable, brake/clutch lines are plenty good. The throttle cables would be long enough with minimal rerouting of things (I have a circumstance which I will get to shortly). The holes in the bars for the switchgear are perfectly located which makes things a snap to mount.

The bars are bent/designed to rotate right up to the point of touching the fork legs when positioned properly. They very much mimic the angle of the clip ons, but with the a increase in height and decrease in distance from the rider. Sitting on the bike feels familiar yet more comfy for arthritic old me. I also tried out several sets of various superbike bends in the Hurricane mounts. All would work for a guy wanting to save and build his own by just purchasing the clamps, but, my body liked what they did here the best......perhaps upon riding I will feel different but I don't foresee this.

Now, every situation has its own circumstance. Mine, I have my tubes raised 2mm in the clamps and my right fork tube is 1mm longer than the left (this is why you always measure fork height between the outer fork tube top and bottom of the lower tree with the axle tightened, but that's another story). So, my bars are rotated back roughly 3mm from the intended position.....this also affects the distance the master cylinders can be rotated forward. Coming from the track / building racebikes I prefer a fairly low orientation of the levers as well. The simple fix here will be cutting the tangs off, rotating the lines a bit and rotating more forward then its sorted. The risers mounted / come with the kit are HB0614A which they call a standard rise. They offer the HB0615 which is a 10mm rise above these.

I considered that the 10mm extra rise would offer more height in which to rotate the bars forward, because of the angle the top clamp sits at it would also bring the bars closer to you, but, the masters along with it (bringing them closer to the tubes again) negating what would be the only reason (for me) to add them. So, I will correct the masters to my liking and reroute the throttle cables a bit and I should be golden. I'll follow up here after I ride her and with any other modifications I do in regards to the bar kit.

In a nutshell, its a solid kit and well designed. Plus, you can get the clamps/risers of choice and build your own. Either way saving money over other options.

001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Bit of a thread hijack but on the same topic, has anyone fitted Gilles Tooling Vario bars? I have an option to buy a set second hand, wonder if there;s many changes needed to brake/clutch lines etc to fit them,prbably something similar to helibars.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

It's taken awhile to update in case anyone was interested in the finished product and ride report. Sorry, its been busy in my garage. The list of what I didnt do to the vfr is also shorter than what I did :happy: First I built an old 600F1 for a VRRA endurance race for a good friend, just have to finish fabbing the race tail, get a little ride height sorted and its done. We tested it out at the AHRMA Road America round practice day. The old dog does run well hahaha.

House%20010.jpg

On the vfr I replaced all coolant lines, water pump, seals, plug wires and pretty much everything rubber under the hood. Had the injectors cleaned out at WitchHunter and it goes on and on. Also had stator rewound with a direct mosfet setup and rewired my Centech/goodies. I couldn't be happier. She is pretty plush for the gimpy guy to ride and runs like the sweetie she is. We are ready for the big summer ride through Montana/Wyoming/Colorado and all in between. I'm so glad I didn't sell her. So, it's definitely a kit that has a high approval from me anyway for what that's worth. Next up is a Yami XS400 I have laying around that needs something interesting built out of it.

jg%20022.jpg

jg%20020.jpg

jg%20019.jpg

jg.jpg

jg%20001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Flexiflyer, so did you just get the kit in the first link? did all the existing cables lines fit ok? I see the complete'big cahuna' kit comes withal braided lines etc, looks great, how did you find the screen worked out with the more upright riding position? thanks.

• Member Contributer

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the lsl kit with superbike bars and the Japan webike kit, I can get the lsl kit including bar ends for 280 delivered, the webike kit is 202 plus import tax,whatever that would be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry I missed the questions.....I thought it was set up to notify of replies. There is no driling required. My screen is an MRA speedscreen whish is basically a stock screen with laminar lip. I am perfectly happy with how air flows.

I had upgraded to the taller risers Hurricane offers after riding a bit with the "standard" ones the kit comes with....I just wanted a tad more but wanted mainly to rotate the bars a bit more forward and needed the taller risers to do that. YMMV as its a subjective science fitting a bike to you.

Brake lines are plenty long but I dremeled the locating tab off the master to rotate the lever where I wanted which required rotating the line outward. The throttle cables were just long enough with the original risers, just not long enough with the taller ones. Some rerouting would have likely made it just fine but I was replacing the cables anyway so just used the ST cables. The starter cable is plenty long and both left/right wiring harnesses are plenty long. The clutch line is just long enough if you dremel the locating pin off the master. I completely rebulit the master/slave and was replacing the line anyway so I got an HEL line made 2" longer. 1" would have been plenty but as I get older maybe I will put ape hangers on it someday :)

Just did a 4300 mile ride out west thru Glacier, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph etc. Also, on the return I crossed something off my bucket list.....1000 plus miles in 24 hours for an IronButt. Did 1035 in 21 hours with lots of historical marker/landscape etc investigative stops. No way without the kit. I am very pleased.

061.jpg

130.jpg

jg%20104.jpg

jg%20181.jpg

jg%20188.jpg

jg%20132.jpg

jg%20099.jpg

Great find. I'll remember this for the future. For the price with a stock front end this is a no brainer.

I have an LSL superbike conversion on my Sv1000n that has a gsxr750 front end on it. I've been pleased with that but it was well over twice the price.

• Member Contributer

Its a BOS pipe. Ordered factory direct its $429 to your door shipped standard DHL with insurance and tracking.....they take Paypal and pay the fees. You will receive in about 14>20 days. Fits the body lines proper and no issue with the Givi Wingrack....super well made quality. I have the contact info for the super nice English speaking lady in the front office that helped me out if anyone wishes.

Archived