Covered Bridge Ride

• Member Contributer

DSC06147_zps4ihfgb8t.jpg

To help shake off the winter parking season blues (for those of us in Northern climates anyway), I thought some photos saved up from a ride in late September might be a nice diversion. A group of us locally meet up on line and schedule various routes over the summer months. Usually it's about the ride, but in this case it was more about the destination. Someone had the idea to map out all the covered bridges in the area and put together a route that took them all in. While I was aware of a couple of them, for the most part they were unknown to me. While quaint and retro, they're an interesting study in construction. Most were of the same design, but there were some variations in the technique. They ranged in age from about 50 to over 100 years, so they've seen a lot and it's amazing they're still around. Many of the bridges' names have connections to local history. In the photo above, "Gallon House" got its name during prohibition from the local bootleggers and moonshiners that gathered nearby to trade their wares. No doubt the bridge would have some interesting stories to tell.

The route

http://goo.gl/maps/L8YKJ

Some pics

DSC06108_zpsplfl6hf9.jpg

DSC06102_zpsu95szsdy.jpg

DSC06103_zps5uw5jeto.jpg

DSC06106_zpsfic5uoyy.jpg

At the one below, just out of view to the left most of the group gathered to see where a car had driven off the embankment the night before (Saturday) and down in to the river. The car had been extracted but the tracks were very obvious. Two LEO's were present investigating. They didn't seem to mind us hanging around. They were pretty funny - one gave us the 411 on what had happened ". . . yeah-up - some young punk out with his girlfriend last night - drunk on his butt, figuring he'd show her a good time. The moron sent her to the E.R instead . . . but they're both ok." We've all gotta watch out for those types when we're riding.

DSC06110_zpsyjrwz80f.jpg

DSC06111_zpsi57aaoiu.jpg

This bridge was being refurbished - gave a great view of its design.

DSC06114_zpsrbsfnucv.jpg

DSC06118_zpspewyn5jf.jpg

DSC06122_zpse1cuwziy.jpg

One in the group rides a Multi Strada with his wife on the back. She's the adventresome one . . .

DSC06119_zpsbhn1wnbo.jpg

DSC06120_zpsvxplxvj8.jpg

DSC06125_zpsao710jv1.jpg

DSC06127_zps7rlvev7f.jpg

DSC06128_zpsj35mcrl4.jpg

DSC06137_zpsi5liiexg.jpg

DSC06136_zpswaofp87p.jpg

DSC06138_zpsxwvz0szn.jpg

DSC06139_zpswcbflbi3.jpg

DSC06140_zps4zwtzp3c.jpg

Burnouts on a covered bridge? :wacko:

DSC06141_zpskoh8slci.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great shots, as usual, Cogswell. I've always wondered what the point of covered bridges was--apart from the quaint looks. I assumed it was to keep the bridge safe for travellers in inclement weather. According to Wikipedia, it's to extend the life of the bridge (and it appears to work).

We've been breaking records for rain (and, to be fair, warm temps) around here due to a pineapple express being funnelled by the jet stream. Thanks for the reminder of better riding weather to come; spring is still at least a couple of months away.

Great photos - thanks for sharing them! Good idea to post these now in the middle of winter, which helps alleviate the "blahs" a bit! :fing02:

I participated in a covered bridge ride in SE Ohio several years ago. There are at least a few of them on a particular route, though the highway number escapes me at the moment. A couple folks wanted to stop and take photos at east bridge, and I was fine with that at first, but after awhile a couple of us got a little antsy and wanted to just keep riding the nice twisties on our route. Still, it was a nice day!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the winter escape. Love the idea of destination riding with such a unique goal. Great pics.

Nice shots!

Looks like the common denominator is they're all built in the early 1900's.(the beginning of motor transportation)

I'm also wondering why they thought of covering them, the structure could still be done(if needed), but why the cover?

I wouldn't mind seeing more covered structures when the sky's let loose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Cool ride and lovely photos, Cogswell. Bridges are amazing structures but covered ones add a sense of history - dunno why Oregon has so many.

Back in 1993, on my 1st multi-day ride, I followed a brochure's advice and rode to Weddle Bridge near Sweet Home and nearby Crawfordsville Bridge. Though I admit to being disappointed that neither was open to traffic.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the great post, Cogswell. Gives me an Idea for riding around when Spring comes next week. It is 75 today

but after this weekend's dip into the 50''s they promise 50's and 60's for the next month. Great pics!!

• Member Contributer

Isnt there a covered bridge in the film "Lawless" with Tom Hardy where they have a shootout? Apparently set in Virginia. Great film. Only "covered" bridges over here are ones i shelter under on a ride out and it inevitably pisses down! Wonder how many there are over there? Are they only in certain states?

Great pics anyway Cogswell.

Archived