Tire Changing

TallCarver

I'm looking to buy a tire changing rack to change local rider's tires south of Atlanta.

At a motorcycle show, I remember seeing a great tire changing stand for, if I'm remembering correctly, 2 to 4 thousand bucks. Anyone have any insight into a stand that won't break my bank but will keep me from getting pissed off every time I change a tire? Heh heh

MiniCarver and I have done it with 8 inch spoons. It's a pain in the ass and near impossible to do without damaging the rims or breaking your spoons.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. I did find the one I saw at the motorcycle show for 1700 bucks just now. Not sure if it's worth double the one you showed me. $800 may be exactly what I should spend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

+1 on the Nomar tire changers, the one I bought was ~$650 (Cycle Hill) and came with a balancer too. They actually have a mount that attaches to the base of the unit and the other end goes under your car/trucks tire, using the weight of the vehicle to keep it secure. I think they also have/had a trailer hitch attachment, both of these options allow for true "mobile" tire changes.

I've only had my for maybe a year if not a little longer and I have already done at least 4 sets of tires amongst my bikes and several friends and VFR members rides. Great tool to have and to me it's a worth while investment, not like I'm going to stop buying/changing tires!

One note on the balancer, the cones that come with it do not work with the four bolt pattern rear wheels, this wheel requires the larger cone set which is about $90.

• Member Contributer

I got the Blue Cycle hill changer for $375 during their spring sale (IIRC). I haven't used it yet, but my friends have loved it. Maybe they'll give it back too :goofy:

Linky. Was a little cheaper before, but it's the same as having 4 tire changes up here.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycle_Hill_Tire_Changer_p/tc-cycle%20hill%20standard.htm

I will add my .02.I know a little about this topic.

You get what you pay for.

If you buy a quality name brand changer you can get parts later.

I have used a Coats 220 for the last twenty years. I had been shopping

for a Coats entry-level pneumatic changer, about 1700.00.

What I found was that all entry-level changer are the same with the

exception being the color and name on the front.

I was lucky enough to score a new changer for 700.00.

The guy used it three times.

All its parts are interchangeable with Coats.

My suggestion to you is keep an eye open and cash ready

when the right machine becomes available you can jump on it.

The Derek Weaver stuff is the same as the Coats.

I landed this one for 700.

If I can find one, locally in Murphy, NC, I know you can eventually find one in ATL.

W-M807%2520New%2520021113__04755.1405415

changer.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've been using this, http://www.harborfreight.com/Manual-Tire-Changer-69686.html and the attachment http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html along with a couple Motion Pro tire spoons for years to change my tire without problems or scratched rims.

:comp13:

• Member Contributer

They are running a special at the MC show in cleveland. The cycle hill was discounted to $365 shipped. Free shipping was on all other models, but the demo unit for the classic was $495.

The RC390 was also at the show surprisingly. After looking it over and getting a leg over it, I started to do the math on how many bikes I would have to sell to afford it. Oddly enough, the rider's seat is a board, where the rest of the tail is like a giant cushion. A passenger would be more comfortable on their seat.

• Member Contributer

The Coats and the No-Mar are very nice rigs, and if I did more tires I'd probably spring for one of them. But I only do about a half-dozen tires a year so the Harbor Freight jobby works for me. And the Marc Parnes balancer does a great job.

Don't buy a cheap machine...

A quality tire machine will not easily scratch a wheel.

If you plan on doing a lot of tires, and you will once your friends know you have a machine,

a good machine is easier to use and almost impossible to scratch the wheel.

Harbor Freight can't brag about having quality tools.

I started changing tires in an MC shop. After a few years, I bought my own tools.

The Coats 220 is what the MC shop had and it is professional grade, way more than any home user would ever need.

I only took paint off of one set of wheels.

A guy brought me his Kawasaki Mule. The paint on the wheels came off with the rubber bead of the tires.

Fortunately, he didn't really care. The thing was slightly abused.

As for MC wheels, the Coats has always done a perfect job.

It does car and small truck tires well, also.

• Member Contributer

Done correctly with the right tools the HF changer won't take off the paint either. You have to use rim protectors just as you would with any changer. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying HF sells top quality tools/goods, but their tire changer, just like a lot of their tools will do the job if you do your part.

Yes, I would like the Coats or similar tire changer rather than the HF, but the difference in price vs the number of tires I change makes it a no-brainer. And that $700-$1000 difference in price will buy several tires, and lots of gas. :beer: And I can easily unbolt from the floor and break down the HF changer and store it easily out of the way.

Don't get me wrong, the HF Changer can do it... It is fine for your bike.

He said he will be doing it for more than himself.

For me it is about time.

Most bikes I can have done, in and out in under an hour.

Worrying about rim protectors is a huge waste of time. A good changer, you don't need to apply rim protectors.

There is no way you can justify your HF changer to someone who changes a lot of tires.

You telling me how your HF changer works for you and it is not worth it to spend 700.00 for a changer...

I change enough tires in a year to buy two Coats changers annually. At this point, I can't tell you how many times

my Coats has paid for itself. I only charge 10.00 per wheel when buying tires from me.

I only change tires for friends/word of mouth and it is out of my house. I am happy for your HF changer.

But if he is going to be doing his tires and just five of his friends, HF is NOT the way to go... Ever.

I know guys with HF changers and they come here... Just saying.

And don't get me started on HD owners... I charge them 10.00 per wheel and they give me 60.00. You do the math.

I have been doing more Harley's in the last few years than sport bikes. I love those guys.

• Member Contributer

Although I typically agree with gr8VFR in regards to NOT buying cheap equipment, but if the "cheap stuff" works for you, then by all means go for it. In my case, the Coats or other permanently mounted solutions would not be a viable solution as I do not have the room for it with the plethora of other items stored in my garage. The Cycle Hill may not be to the same level of quality or capability to the Coats equipment but I was able to make a "mobile" platform to mount it on and be able to not only use it where I have room, I can also move it out of the way when not using it. So far I found it to be quite sturdy, easy to use and can do most tire changes in no time flat (no pun intended).

For me, I did not like the quality of the HF stuff, but that's my take on it, it does not mean I think others need to stay away from it, but if the plan is to be a "tire changing station" for me and my friends, then the more expensive, higher quality units like the Coats would definitely be the way to go.YMMV

• Member Contributer

I use a Coats mount/dismount bar because they work so well, and you have to put the rim protector on the bar if you're doing a painted rim because the bar is just painted steel.

I absolutely agree that if you're doing more than a half-dozen tires in a year a HF simply isn't the way to go. I'd love to have a nice tire changer, but it's doesn't make sense either economically, or space wise with my smallish garage.

The HF will do the job, but it's like most HF tools: they aren't designed to be used professionally. I used to work in a manufacturing plant as a mechanic, and I wouldn't have used a HF tool at work, except maybe a pry bar.

• Member Contributer

Looking at this further, this appears to be a kit that you add to an "existing" tire changer.

Perfect for 1 person tire changes, even on stiff sidewalls

Uses air pressure to aid in bead breaking and tire installation

Designed to work with most tire machines on the market

Wheel Diameter 6in. - 24in.

Non-scratch, nylon head

Kit includes K and L Strongarm 2, Strongarm Foot, 30in. Quick Connect/Disconnect 1/4 NPT Hose

Looking at this further, this appears to be a kit that you add to an "existing" tire changer.

Non-scratch, nylon head

Kit includes K and L Strongarm 2, Strongarm Foot, 30in. Quick Connect/Disconnect 1/4 NPT Hose

You need to research this one further.

The price is great!

How much is it to your door step?

Next you need to know who the actual manufacturer is and how accessible the replacement parts are.

This is much different that the Derek Weaver.

There are more moving parts which means more broken stuff to replace next year when the warranty has expired.

Also to a comment above, You tape the nylon protectors to the Coats bar. The only time you remove them is when one cracks to install a new one.

Maybe every other year I might crack one. I bought a bag of ten pair when I liven in FL about eight years ago.

All Coats parts are readily available at Napa stores.

The No-Mar bead holder tool is an asset you should also consider purchasing for about 30.00.

• Member Contributer

Non-scratch, nylon head

I thought I hit a gold mine.

• Member Contributer

"Also to a comment above, You tape the nylon protectors to the Coats bar. The only time you remove them is when one cracks to install a new one.
Maybe every other year I might crack one. I bought a bag of ten pair when I liven in FL about eight years ago.
All Coats parts are readily available at Napa stores.

The No-Mar bead holder tool is an asset you should also consider purchasing for about 30.00."

Yeah, I use duct tape to hold the protectors on until they break. I also bought a big bag of them when I bought the bar.

If you're talking about the yellow third hand thingy from No-Mar, already got one. They are the cat's ass, and that's a fact. About the handiest, most bang-for-the-buck tool you'll ever come across.

I have a No Mar changer and balancer. I have done my CBR, my goldwing, and a triumph. I will be doing my VFR wheels and a BMW wheel on Wed. I like having the option to do it myself and taking time to clean everything and inspect. I like the changer, but DO NOT recommend for tubed wheels. It is a PIA. For tubeless, easy as pie. Granted you could use the zip tie method on tubeless.

I have the NoMar Jr Pro. Used it two weeks ago to fix some rim leaks on my moms car. Worked great as usual. I looked briefly for a used coats type but decided hat the NoMar was perfect for my need. It's portable as well.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived