Clutch Modification?

I have a bad case of arthritis with complications, in my clutch hand and it is getting to be an issue. The VFR has a pretty light clutch action but I am finding that the on off clutchwork involved in town riding is proving difficult. To be clear, a quickshifter is not the answer. I need some way of making life easier when I am in town and on and off the clutch and gears all the time. Someone has suggested a)lighter clutch springs and b) a bigger master cylinder for the clutch. Has anyone got any thoughts on these or have any other ideas? I love my VFR dearly and the thought of giving him up pains me.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your arthritis. Getting older is a bitch isn't it? Don't get me started on my knees....

My view is that lighter clutch springs would be a bad thing and lead to a slipping clutch. You need to gain a bigger mechanical advantage over the clutch slave cylinder so you would need to use a smaller diameter MC (not bigger) or a bigger slave cylinder. The mechanical ratio depends on the area of the two cylinders; the master cylinder is 14mm, but the manual doesn't give the slave size. The trade-off here is that the lever will need to move further to disengage the clutch.

You could also get the same result by changing the mechanical ratio of the lever (moving the pivot point closer to the MC piston axis); I think some aftermarket levers can do this?

I spotted this article which might be of interest; Oberon are a UK based supplier so while they don't appear to have Honda parts, maybe they could rustle you up something special?

http://www.visordown.com/product-features/oberon-clutch-slave-cylinder-review--how-to-fit/24942.html

Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs, have you made sure that your existing set-up is at its best, i.e. the controls are rotated on the bar to best suit you, and the lever and pushrod are well-greased? Best of luck.

• Member Contributer

you can call EMF auto clutch..

you down shift into first. and stop! then go!

it uses centrifugal force to engage .

i have put a few on to choppers with a "suicide" shiftlever on them. and it works great!! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I swapped out the master cylinder with an SP1 unit. I find it quite a bit easier. It might be the m/c, or the fact that I stripped and cleaned the slave cylinder. Not really sure which had more effect.

By the way, the SP slave cylinder is the same part# as VFR, so no issues with compatibility.

Also be sure to clean and grease the lever pivot.

Might be some Brembo units out there on the used market that you could swap.

Thanks for the advice chaps. The VRF 1200 option is not on. Too heavy - I think they are carved from unobtanium or something. I think maybe swapping the master cylinder looks like the best bet - I read somewhere that someone fitted a Tuono set up.The current set up has been checked by my expert mechanic and he reckons it is as light as they get. So, maybe I'll hunt down an SP MC or look at the Aprillia alternative.

I am running a brembo radial master off a 2009 ducati monster 1100. Much better feel and lighter pull. The radial design has more mechanical advantage and therefore less wasted effort.

Thanks for the advice chaps. The VRF 1200 option is not on. Too heavy - I think they are carved from unobtanium or something. I think maybe swapping the master cylinder looks like the best bet - I read somewhere that someone fitted a Tuono set up.The current set up has been checked by my expert mechanic and he reckons it is as light as they get. So, maybe I'll hunt down an SP MC or look at the Aprillia alternative.

You know, its up to you, but I think that's an expensive pain in the A$$ risk, that will more than likely not bare fruit.

Don't discount the extreme rear ward sweep of stock clip-ons, having an effect . raise the clip-ons out of the detents and pivot forward alittle, see if that helps. This costs nothing to try, but changes the angles of squeeze and wrist position.

cable clutch conversion? I've got one left over from when I put my SP1 back to standard and I'll be offering it up to my vfr when I get time. should just be a shorter rod (or longer, I cant remember) and away I go.

It's like a clutch pull through half melted butter...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have done some research and have decided on replacing the master cylinder but: I am confused by talk of bore sizes! What size bore does the Viffer have and should I get a larger or smaller bore? There is also a huge range in prices from £400 to £30! Help as always appreciated.

Look on the underside of your master cylinder. The size should be cast into the part, either in metric or standard. Same for the brake side.

IE: 14 (mm) or 5/8 (inch)

Just pulled those numbers fresh out of the sky, doesn't mean yours would be either.

• Member Contributer

Good guess Canuck; the service manual for the 5th gen states 14.00mm i.d. for the clutch master.

To get more mechanical leverage over the slave cylinder you need to get a smaller diameter MC; that means you'll have more travel at the MC for the same travel at the slave.

Archived