Photo Request: D.i.d. X-Ring Chain (Nickel Plated) On 5Th Gen

Corey

It's time for a new sprocket set and chain. I'm set on the OEM sprockets and D.I.D. chain, but am still up in the air on whether to purchase the D.I.D. PRO-Street X-Ring 530 VX or the D.I.D. Super Stree X-Ring 50(530)ZVM-X.

They appear to come in three finishes, Gold plated, Nickel plated and Natural unplated.

I can't seem to find a decent photo online. Does anyone have a photo comparison of the Nickel plated vs the Natural unplated finishes on a 5th Gen?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

See if these works for you. If not I might be able to get better pics tomorrow, same chains but after a few thousand miles.

This is a DID X-Ring 530VM gold on my 5 Gen

post-23057-0-90479300-1414038834.jpg

This pic isn't the best but I figured I throw it in anyway. This is a DID X-Ring 530ZVMX gold on my 6 Gen

post-23057-0-42899000-1414038911.jpg

Thanks for the photos everyone. Not to be unappreciative of the gold chain postings, but I was really hoping to see a nickel plated version in comparison to the natural finish. Maybe staring at the photos of the gold chains (and painted sprockets) will make me change my mind, who knows.

On a different note, is there a cheaper chain tool that is of the same quality and function as the D.I.D. KM500R or KM501E chain tools?

• Member Contributer

Hard to find any decent pictures of either one but the nickel is like a chrome plating with a dull finish and the natural is dark grey or black. If I had to choose I'd listen to the Canuck(and others)... GO FOR THE GOLD!!

110098120.jpg

4607002.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the photos everyone. Not to be unappreciative of the gold chain postings, but I was really hoping to see a nickel plated version in comparison to the natural finish. Maybe staring at the photos of the gold chains (and painted sprockets) will make me change my mind, who knows.

On a different note, is there a cheaper chain tool that is of the same quality and function as the D.I.D. KM500R or KM501E chain tools?

Cycle Gear sells the Stockton tool brand and their chain tool is about $40 right now (on sale).

http://www.cyclegear.com/STOCKTON-TOOL-COMPANY-Chain-Breaker-and-Rivet-Tool-Kit

I've had the Stockton tool for a while now and its done a good job for me. I believe that Motion Pro also makes a similar kit for a tad bit more.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again for all of the photos and suggestions.

Where did all of you purchase your D.I.D. chains? Are there any good sources online?

I bought mine through http://sprocketcenter.com/If memory serves me correctly, they're based in So Cal and allowed me to do a will call. Not that helps you any, being in Oregon.

Where did all of you purchase your D.I.D. chains? Are there any good sources online?

Just do a search for the particular chain that you want, and see who is selling it for how much. If they sound reputable, order from them.

The DID zvm2 is a High end chain , expect to pay high dollar, but they can be found $160 to $190

A year or so ago, I found a ZVM2 on clearance locally for $40, I couldn't pass that up, even though I wasn't in the market for a chain. That's one of those life time events.

I bought mine through http://sprocketcenter.com/If memory serves me correctly, they're based in So Cal and allowed me to do a will call. Not that helps you any, being in Oregon.

:1:

Another one for Sprocket Center. I bought a gold one for mine and natural for my GF's 2000 VFR. She thought the gold would look funny with the yellow paint.......even though the calipers and rotor hubs are gold. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I got my last one from Bombay Motorsports off Amazon for $106. It was the VX/VX Pro chain, not the high end one. That's what I got the last time and it has lasted 20,000 miles, and still going, so I figure it's a pretty good chain.

I looked up the chain/sprockets for my 5th Gen on a OEM Parts Fiche and this is what it came up with.

CHAIN SET, DRIVE (DID50 112-120L) (DAIDO) (STANDARD LINK 114L) (06405-MZ1-P01): $203.64

Could someone decode this for me? My assumption is that this includes both front and rear OEM sprockets as well as a D.I.D. chain with master link. Is this correct?

The 5th Gen takes a 108 Link chain according to the manual (which I verified by counting on my bike). I know DAIDO is a D.I.D. chain, but I can't tell if the part (06405-MZ1-P01) includes a chain with 112, 120 or 114 links?

Also, can I assume this is an "X-Ring" chain? Is the DID50 an X-Ring or an O-Ring? If I want an X-Ring chain do I need to buy it separately?

Still trying to figure this out and find a good deal on OEM sprockets with DID X-Ring chain.

Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Don't overthink it man. As long as it's a quality chain, and sprockets it's down to who has it in stock, and what they want for shipping. These are consumables like tires or batteries...

That said I have had good experience with SrocketCenter myself. Used to use Drive Systems, but their site was broken with no fix in sight.

• Member Contributer

I think that Honda part # is for the chain and masterlink only. I'm not sure, but it shows that part number for several other bikes with different types of sprockets, and that makes me wonder.

I'd sure find out positively before I ordered it. And besides, you can order the parts separately and save yourself some money.

And there is one on Ebay in the bag with the Honda part number on the bag, and it is only the chain and masterlink. And it looks like the OEM part.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the input. I went with a D.I.D. PRO-Street X-Ring 530 VX (108 Link) in "Natural" finish from sprocketcenter.com. I couldn't find any additional photos online of the Nickel finish beyond dutchintercepter's contribution, so I played it safe and went with the OEM look/finish and saved a few bucks in the process. Sprocket Center was quick to respond to my email questions and shipped the product immediately upon ordering. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again.

A friend of mine recently installed a D.I.D. Super Street X-Ring 50(530)ZVM-X on his bike. It appears to me that there is a definite difference in the thickness of the side plates between the 530VX and 530ZVM-X.

On a side note, Sprocket Center doesn't offer actual Honda OEM sprockets, so I went with OEM sprockets (17T Front, 43T Rear) from Motosport.com, mainly for the steel construction and the front sprocket buffer donut. It took them a few days to get the parts before they shipped them to me. I had the sprockets within a week.

• Member Contributer

Hmm, I don't understand why you say SprocketCenter doesn't handle OEM sprockets. Granted the countershaft sprocket they sell doesn't have the rubber donut, but I've never noticed any problems or extra noise without the rubber thingy.

Just as an aside,at some point you might try the 45 tooth rear sprocket. I notice that SprocketCenter has them for sale, and they are a great modification to the gear train. IMO of course.

Yeah, the ZVM chain is much stronger, but you'll wear out the bushings before you wear out the side plates, so it's pretty much overkill for our lower output VFR's.

Hmm, I don't understand why you say SprocketCenter doesn't handle OEM sprockets. Granted the countershaft sprocket they sell doesn't have the rubber donut, but I've never noticed any problems or extra noise without the rubber thingy.

Just as an aside,at some point you might try the 45 tooth rear sprocket. I notice that SprocketCenter has them for sale, and they are a great modification to the gear train. IMO of course.

Yeah, the ZVM chain is much stronger, but you'll wear out the bushings before you wear out the side plates, so it's pretty much overkill for our lower output VFR's.

If that were the case the lighter weight chains would last as long, not something Ive seen. Most times the larger side plated chain , also come with beefier rollers also , 10mm verses 11 mm. over all less side plate flex and twisting.

I only say this cause the heavy chains like the zvm is the only type ive been able to get the longevity out of worth buying. I think for some though they do get long life out of the cheaper chains, for me they are not overkill. The just meet the gate or spec.

• Member Contributer

FWIW I've gotten 20,000+ miles out of the DID VX chain I put on some years ago and it's still going. But I'm also running the original countershaft sprocket, and just changed the rear sprocket to a 45 tooth after 35,000 miles. It still looks pretty good.

I must say I used Sprocket Center in the past and recommended them. I am in the middle of a deal with them currently and they are fucking up on the shipping. I ordered and spoke to them Tuesday, they said my stuff would ship Wednesday. I spoke to them today and although I had received an email "pre shipping" receipt I was told "it didn't make it out the door yesterday, hopefully today". The chain and sprocket were listed as "in stock". Very lame in my opinion. Hopefully I will get my goods in time to do a weekend install. As it stands right now, I'm Very disappointed. I have the Gold D.I.D on the bike, very attractive, but opted for natural this time.

A buddy of mine let me borrow his Motion Pro PBR chain tool. Am I going to have any problems using it to install my D.I.D. PRO-Street X-Ring 530 VX chain? Are there any pitfalls in using a non-DID chain tool? I know the D.I.D. website states..."KM500R Cutting PIns which are required to rivet 530 VMX chains". I was wondering if I was going to run into any problems using the Motion Pro PBR for this chain?

FWIW I've gotten 20,000+ miles out of the DID VX chain I put on some years ago and it's still going. But I'm also running the original countershaft sprocket, and just changed the rear sprocket to a 45 tooth after 35,000 miles. It still looks pretty good.

Well only the zvms have I been able to get close to that mileage with one or two adjustments, and Ive ran everything from DID oring to Rk to Regina, they all live about the same Half life compared to the ZVM. My bikes sees a lot of post 100, and tight track.

Archived