Well I Joined The " Dropped It" Club Today

mneal

• Member Contributer

Well I joined the "dropped it " club this morning. Buddy rode over and we were suited up and ready to head off for a full day this morning. I had changed oil in the old girl last week and as I was getting ready to take off I decided let me throw it on center stand real quick and check oil level. My house was built in 1950s and driveway is two concrete strips with grass in center. As I rocked it on center stand it shifted slightly and one side of center stand went in grass and sunk in the soft soil.(florida sand). My right foot was still on center stand and I had zero leverage as much I tried to stop it over it went ,away from me. Crap. My buddy helped hoist it up and I was/ am way lucky and broke right mirror off and did no other damage (thankfully all was in the grass.). Aside from my pride. Rode the day with only one mirror but had a great 250 mile day with friends. Fairly embarrassed though. I raced motocross back was I was a lot younger so am super used to seeing stuff on the ground but the vfrer looked wrong, just wrong.

• Member Contributer

New bikes are like new babies - no balance at all! The older the bike, the better balance it has. In fact it is almost impossible to tip a old bike over. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Ha!

I have a spare set of mirrors just for such an occasion :goofy:

• Member Contributer

there is a -resprayed red- set of panels for sale in the Netherlands....... but shipping cost will probably kill you....

Your bike was probably retaliating for you calling her 'the old girl'. :wink:

Anyway, welcome to the club. I've dropped my VFR several times now. Bent the both brake controls the first time - replaced front lever and straightened rear pedal. Then I installed a set of R&G frame sliders, which have prevented any damage from subsequent drops.

I don't have a spare set of mirrors like Rice, but I carry a spare set of hand levers on all rides longer than a few hours.

Archived