New Member, Old Bike

Irvin

Well to start off the tale of my sweet JoHonda, my father purchased it when I was only 4 years old in 1996. Not that I remember, but, I was told I fell in love the moment I saw her. As I grew older, I started to really appreciate the growl of the V4.

Eventually he abandoned the poor thing in our back yard for about 4 years (under a torn tarp no less) and when I mentioned I want a motorcycle he said "the only way you'll ever be allowed to ride a motorcycle u Dr my roof is if you fix that thing in the yard." Usually I would've just moved on but I finally had the opportunity to have the bike I listed for my whole life.

Anyways after scraping the tank (wasn't even stored properly) this is what was left. Boy did I have my hands full. Keep in mind, this was the first time I have ever even tried anything on a vehicle.

post-31243-0-15980100-1411771463.jpegpost-31243-0-79563700-1411771506.jpeg

post-31243-0-25052300-1411771540.jpegpost-31243-0-05734900-1411771550.jpeg

post-31243-0-41974600-1411771586.jpeg

I did find out it came with an aftermarket fox shock. not sure if is the twin clicker everyone seems to know.

post-31243-0-34911800-1411771566.jpeg

So I after I managed to get her running (after a year of creeping on the forums) then I sorted out the forks which were completely toast. Then I put her on the road for about a week until I realized the rear needed love... so I tore her down COMPLETELY

post-31243-0-85444100-1411771596.jpeg

After putting her back together

she was a joy to ride but I new she could be better

[1attachment=37353:IMG_160491171222587.jpeg]post-31243-0-71716400-1411771620.jpegpost-31243-0-65165900-1411771634.jpeg

Since then I have torn her down again. She's gotten a rc51 front end, complete brand new internals for the carbs, oil mod, getting a vf1000r swing arm with a cbr f2 wheels, reworking some electrical stuff, newer control switches, and a whole lot more to come. I will be posting pictures as I tidy up the front end and work on the rear end.

post-31243-0-30468500-1411771612.jpeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind, this was the first time I have ever even tried anything on a vehicle.

Very good first try. :beer:

My plan is to never take a bike apart that far. I don't have that much mechanical skill, or ambition. :rolleyes:

Welcome, enjoy the ride.

• Member Contributer

Pretty impressive save especially for a 22yr old restoring his first 30 yr old motorcycle, did you get a rebuild and new spring on that fox shock, should compliment the rc 51 front end. Can't wait to see more pics

• Member Contributer

Thank you all! I'll try to keep it picture heavy as I go along. There's still much to do, next year's rice o Rama is the goal!

I just realized we're neighbors. Glad to have another Interceptor in this beautiful state of Taxachusetts! We'll have to meet up and go for a ride sometime. There are a few of us within an hour of each other.

• Member Contributer

Yeah! We actually met at rice o Rama in front of you breath-taking interceptor! Once this thin is on the road safely it'll be hard to separate me from it haha

Ah yes, my memory failed me for a minute there, Irvin. Your bike is looking great and I have no doubt you're going to do some amazing things to it. If you can get it road-worthy before the riding season ends, you'll have to come out this way. There's at least 3 of us with VF's in the area and we can go for a ride together. Let me know if I can help out with that baby.

So I was down in the shop today working on the left controls from a cbr f4, and I got it all together after learn how to solder. Well I thought I did. The rear blinker are just staying on when not in use and shut of once I signal (I signal right,the right light shuts down.) I spent hours a king sure the right wires were in the right place when splicING and soldering. Any advice? Tha KS I advanced

Almost forgot to mention. The indicator lights up on the gauge cluster also say on.

After a long day of learning how to correctly plug in indicator lights (every was wired correctly, i was just plugging them in wrong... multiple times...) i managed to get the switch almost 100%, just needs to be all prettied up. I also got around to taking off the old indicator mount seeing as the RC51 front end won't provide the clearance needed for blinkers there. got around to mounting up the horn to the RC51 lower triples, and them promptly got distracting by work i had to get done on my cbr 954.

here's how she sits now

This is before i started anything on it last night

IMG 0003[1]

sexay top triple

Here's what i dide to the horn. I took off the lower half of the of bracket and then just VERY patiently shaved off some metal until it fit snug as a bug

horn mounting

And here is the left hand controls as they sit, waiting to be tidied up

wiring the right controls

Next goal for the project will be a VF1000R rear swinger With a CBR F2 rear wheel and brake. After that I need to get to the part i have been trying to avoid this whole time, I need to make the exhaust. It'll be a 4-2-1 system with all unequal length headers (for sound and midrange according to one of my engineer buddies from when i was in college) hopefully next weekend I'll have a chance to work on it some more!

• Member Contributer

Irvin - Looking good! I love the project and what you have done - I got the rear boxed up and sent you an IM, sorry for the delay.

Can't wait to see it on!

• Member Contributer

Great job!

Initially I looked at the thread title (New Member, Old Bike) and had few salty comments but then I saw the work you have already put into the old VF and wanted to welcome you to the site.

There must be something in the water in New England as you guys up there have saved more than your fair share of classic V4's.

thanks, everyone for the kinda words they keep me motivated to finish this thing in a more timely matter haha! I'm hoping to get more work done on it today and tomorrow. Currently wait on some parts and money to buy myself a welder and other tools for the shop. i'll try to keep you all posted with the little things i'll be doing here and there.

Pretty impressive save especially for a 22yr old restoring his first 30 yr old motorcycle, did you get a rebuild and new spring on that fox shock, should compliment the rc 51 front end. Can't wait to see more pics

thanks i was actually 17 when i started the restoration. It took (and is still staking) and endless amount of research to get it done right.

As for the Fox shock I have been wondering if i should restore it, or simply look for a more modern alternative. Would the performance of the shock outweigh the labor of everything that comes with put in a modern shock? I don't really have any metal working tools nor any prior experience doing so, so I would have to outsource those custom parts. Whereas the rebuild would probably be cheaper and easier for me to do. Any input would be much appreciated.

• Member Contributer

thanks, everyone for the kinda words they keep me motivated to finish this thing in a more timely matter haha! I'm hoping to get more work done on it today and tomorrow. Currently wait on some parts and money to buy myself a welder and other tools for the shop. i'll try to keep you all posted with the little things i'll be doing here and there.

thanks i was actually 17 when i started the restoration. It took (and is still staking) and endless amount of research to get it done right.

As for the Fox shock I have been wondering if i should restore it, or simply look for a more modern alternative. Would the performance of the shock outweigh the labor of everything that comes with put in a modern shock? I don't really have any metal working tools nor any prior experience doing so, so I would have to outsource those custom parts. Whereas the rebuild would probably be cheaper and easier for me to do. Any input would be much appreciated.

You are doing great so far.

Call a few suspension shops in your area and ask them if they can get the parts (valves and correct weight spring) for the Fox shock.

If not, Jamie Daugherty is a member here and there are some nationally known suspension shops (Traxxion offers a 10% discount for VFRD members, Thermosman, Lindeman Engineering, etc...) who will make sure the shock is rebuilt properly for your application. It will probably be in the $250-$400 range depending on how much it needs.

You are doing great so far.

Call a few suspension shops in your area and ask them if they can get the parts (valves and correct weight spring) for the Fox shock.

If not, Jamie Daugherty is a member here and there are some nationally known suspension shops (Traxxion offers a 10% discount for VFRD members, Thermosman, Lindeman Engineering, etc...) who will make sure the shock is rebuilt properly for your application. It will probably be in the $250-$400 range depending on how much it needs.

Thanks for the advice. It'll be getting a thorough rebuild including a clean up. Hopefully I can source that fox sticker on the adjuster. (Haven't looked yet, but should be easy to find)

Didn't get much done with the bike this weekend. Turns out that being an adult is really time consuming. :wacko: I got the whole rear end taken out in preparation for the vfkr Swing arm and cbr f2 wheel. The rear shock come off as well and I'm looking for a local shop to do the rebuild.

well time for the weekly update!

I didnt get an awful lot of progress done but i did get around to trimming the rear fender, bench syncing the carbs, and triming away tiny bits or the radiator to get more clearance with the forks

Fender trim:

Before

rear fender (before)

After

rear fender (after)

rear fender (after) 2

nice, clean look

real plates have curves

radiator trim:

Before.

left side (before)

right side (before)

trying to squeeze out as much turn as possible

clearence (before)

After:

left side (after)

right side (after)

rad with all tabs shaved off

I didn't put up a picture of the fork clearance after only because it was really notable on camera but i did get and extra mm's on the turn range. now to make steering stops.
I took off all the tabs that hold the little plastics on and do plan on putting them back on the fasteners. Sometime this week my rear will be coming in. (thanks Unbalanced) all that should go in no problem. I should have gotten more done but like always my CBR needed some tinkering done too. It's a good thing i may be picking up a 2nd gen vfr750 soon too lol

Archived