Rebirthing A Legend

Greaterx

Although I had owned lots of bikes, my very first "brand new" bike purchase was in 1983.
I had owned a ridden a heap of smoker dirt and road bikes, then the 400 fours, 500 fours and the Big 750s from the 70's, but when I saw that sparkling VF750F in the shop window at my local Honda Dealership, I fell in love. I HAD to have it.
2 days later it was mine, it was my first ever loan & I was in debt.

post-30134-0-24730300-1409055538.jpg

I picked it up in the afternoon and rode it all night and brought it back for its first service the next day. I could not believe a bike could be so good. That next weekend was a major endurance event on the Australian Motorcycle calendar, the "Castrol 6hr"

First 2 places were VF750's, 3rd was a GSX1000 and the next 7 places were Honda VF750's. I was stoked, It was like I'd won the race. (Mal Campbell actually won it)

My riding buddies of the day were on Guzzi 750 LeMans, Ducati 900 Darmah, CBX1000 and K9 Kwakas but my VF was a Giant Slayer, they could not keep up and eventually resorted to calling me unkind names when we stopped somewhere.

Women swooned around me and whispered things in my innocent ears that I'd never heard before. Life was Grand, my VF750F had transformed me from an average nobody to a superhero. I still love that bike........

After the crash, I won't go into details, the bike was written off and I returned to being normal, the fog descended and decades past.

Now in my 50's and 2 x VFR800s in the shed, I'm feeling all nostalgic and yearn for the days of swooning women and superhero antics on the back wheel. I started searching....can I recapture that feeling, is it out there?

I looked everywhere for the right VF750, they had become as rare as hens teeth and were either too far gone or already restored and priced beyond reasonable.

Then yesterday, a "Bikes 4 Sale" Facebook page I follow popped up a picture,

post-30134-0-24231100-1409057170.jpg

Then another...

post-30134-0-70051300-1409057200.jpg

I sent the guy a message asking for his phone number...... and received a quick response.

After a short chat, I told him, tomorrow, I will drive the 400klms to look at the bike.

He was a kid, maybe 25? He had bought the bike from a lady as a Cafe Racer Project, she had told him it had a "Drive" chain problem but she could not afford to fix it so he got it cheap.
When he got it home, he went looking for the drive chain issue and apart from needing new chain and sprockets could not find any issues, when he started it his Dad shouted "Turn it off, if that timing chain let's go you'll blow the engine". The lady had said "Drive" chain but meant "Timing" chain. The kid was all discouraged because he did not want to mess with the engine, so he bought a 77 Yamaha XT500 wreck to make a Cafe Racer and the VF just sat there in the shed.

Some time later, time to clean out the shed and get rid of that Honda taking up space!!!

That's how we met, him not wanting much money for this stupid bike with the funny engine. and me wanting to wear my underpants on the outside.

post-30134-0-15124300-1409058000.jpg

So we went home together (the bike and I)

post-30134-0-87129500-1409057976.jpg

All the bits are there, they just all need some TLC.

post-30134-0-63568500-1409058023.jpg

I won't try and start it, it's 31 years old and it's not ready to be ridden.

It needs a proper rebirth, it needs to be loved it needs to believe it can fly again, the Legend will be reborn and I really hope the swooning women are not the same age as me.

Stay tuned.

• Member Contributer

Oh aye, a little TLC and spit and that will buff out ok!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I look forward to the tales of the rebirth of the legendary superhero.... :goofy:

Good luck!!

• Member Contributer

Awesome, good luck with your journey back to being a super hero! Hopefully, it won't be too painful of a process.

Cheers

Great story, good luck on the restore. I'm still working on my 83 after 4 years. The problem I have is: I love to ride it. So hesitant to tear it completely down for restore. Maybe one of these days

• Member Contributer

A familiar tale indeed. I was sharing a house back in the day with 2 bol d'ors and a waterbottle. Next thing we know one of the bols is gone and this space-age machine took it's place. God I was so jealous. It took me 30 years, but I finally got one, and it's everything I remembered it to be.

Enjoy your journey pants-man, and I'll be watching this with interest.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

My brother from another continent...I know what the bike means to you. Similar circles we swam in 30 years ago.

Love the gold comstar wheels. Keep us up to date with photos as you go.

Very well written!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and brought back my memories of my new first bike... 84 INTERCEPTOR. Can not wait to hear more...good luck...that bikes lucky to have you

I shudder when I think it could have been chopped into a Cafe Racer. Sends chills up my spine.

This site is such a great resource and I've read almost everything I can find on the issues around the rebuild. The frame is structurally ok, just needs to be cleaned and powdercoated.

The wheels are in really good condition considering their age but the suspension and brakes will need a full overhaul. (no surprises)

Plastics are all in poor condition but I have a mate who does plastic welding, dent removal and painting for a lot of bike racing teams so he will come in handy.
Sticker kit has been ordered and when all the cosmetic stuff is done I can bubble wrap it and put it away until the rest is done.

The wiring loom seems intact but I haven't put a meter to it yet, it still has the original indicators and lights they just need to be refreshed.

Then it's the engine, I'll take the rocker covers off and take a look inside the carbies before I decide whether to start it. If what the kid says is correct it will need new timing belt but it will get that anyway. Low cost item.

I suspect I'll also need to replace the headers and cans so I'll look at stainless headers but its a pity I can't get Black Chrome cans like the original.

I have read all the info about the Oiler Mod (audible gasp) and the mods to harden the camshaft contact surfaces, this will all be preemptive work so I don't need to open her up again in the coming years.

Radiators, cooling system, Carbies, will need to be refreshed.

The instrument cluster may need to be replaced but I'll see if it can be refreshed first.

There seems to be parts available for most things I've looked for so hopefully I can keep it as original as possible with modernising of the brakes and suspension.

One question I have is, if the engine needs an overhaul do I take it out to an 800, is it worth it?

Today was my first opportunity to get to the bike, Step 1 was to get all the plastics off for an inspection and take them over to my mate for assessment.

post-30134-0-83225000-1409385911.jpg

post-30134-0-50284200-1409385988.jpg

It turns out the type of material used in 1983 does not weld so good and tends to vaporise when heated. There are a couple of lugs missing and the bikini fairing is almost beyond repair, so I'll have a look around the interweb and a few local wreckers before we invest too much energy in the plastics.

Then I went home and started to degrease and clean, to see what was under 30 years of neglect. This was the realisation it's going to be a big job.

post-30134-0-61498900-1409385869.jpg

post-30134-0-57449300-1409385887.jpg

post-30134-0-24001200-1409385933.jpg

post-30134-0-14395000-1409385952.jpg

(Wiki)

The VF's front bank was moved from the Magna's 23.5 degrees to 30 degrees to tuck the Comcast 16-inch front wheel closer to the engine which increased the handling of the bike's 58.9 inch wheelbase. The front and rear wheels were controlled by fully adjustable Showa suspension. The front suspension was equipped with 39mm forks with the TRAC anti-dive system to stabilize the ride on the track and on the road. The rear suspension used a sand cast swing-arm.

post-30134-0-52892800-1409385818.jpg

post-30134-0-25803000-1409385841.jpg

post-30134-0-99010100-1409386076.jpg

I remember in 1983 the roads where I lived were not great and front wheel didn't cope all the well with rough potholed surface. On more than one occasion I had a tank slapper because of the front wheel.

I may have to limit my rides on this bike to the better roads in my region and it will be interesting to see if I can find matching 18 and 16 inch rubber.

• Member Contributer

and it will be interesting to see if I can find matching 18 and 16 inch rubber.

look to be in similar condition as the bike I picked up. Should keep you busy for a while.

I have a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons on mine and am happy with them so far.

cheers

ian

and it will be interesting to see if I can find matching 18 and 16 inch rubber.

look to be in similar condition as the bike I picked up. Should keep you busy for a while.

I have a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons on mine and am happy with them so far.

cheers

ian

Thanks mate, I'll check out the Pirelli's.

• Member Contributer

I'm late to this one, but the opening post definitely pulled me in - great story. Nostalgia makes for some of the best build threads. :lurk: I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for what you find when you open up the engine - hopefully nothing major.

While you're at it, If you could, please render some technical advice about "Women swooned around me and whispered things in my innocent ears that I'd never heard before. Life was Grand, my VF750F had transformed me from an average nobody to a superhero." My bike is in fine shape . . . I need to know how to resurrect that!! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Great post! I see your machine came with the optional Australian sheepskin seat. :goofy: Good luck with the project.

I'm late to this one, but the opening post definitely pulled me in - great story. Nostalgia makes for some of the best build threads. :lurk: I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for what you find when you open up the engine - hopefully nothing major.

While you're at it, If you could, please render some technical advice about "Women swooned around me and whispered things in my innocent ears that I'd never heard before. Life was Grand, my VF750F had transformed me from an average nobody to a superhero." My bike is in fine shape . . . I need to know how to resurrect that!! :laugh:

Hahahaha, when I work it out I'll let you know.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VF7501983-85.htm

Hope this helps!!!! A little pricey though

Thank you so much for this, prices are not much lower than what's on Fleabay but a new one would be prefered.

A familiar tale indeed. I was sharing a house back in the day with 2 bol d'ors and a waterbottle. Next thing we know one of the bols is gone and this space-age machine took it's place. God I was so jealous. It took me 30 years, but I finally got one, and it's everything I remembered it to be.

Enjoy your journey pants-man, and I'll be watching this with interest.

cheers

ian

Ian, I spent a lot of last night reading your rebirthing post. Very inspirational and although I don't possess the skill or equipment to do the project in house as much you did, I am well networked and so can outsource most the major work.

Great post! I see your machine came with the optional Australian sheepskin seat. :goofy: Good luck with the project.

I love a good sheepy under my butt when touring, this one was unfortunately an Asthma inducing imitation which had been glued (spray on glue) to a highly deteriorated vinyl.

Just another item on the project list. :-)

post-30134-0-90668900-1409441379.jpg

Great story - that is how I feel about my 81 CB750. I just never parted with it despite a couple of determined efforts from my dear wife.

I have quite a stock of NOS parts for one of these. A VF750FD was on my to restore list and I had a couple but I realised with 4 bikes before them I would not be getting to them within 6-8 years, so I sold them both and just have all the parts.

Some of the parts are;

NOS seat

NOS ducktail RWB

NOS front fairing RWB

NOS windscreen

NOS left and right mufflers

NOS carb bank

the list goes on for a long time - pm me with an email and I will send you a proper list.

Great story - that is how I feel about my 81 CB750. I just never parted with it despite a couple of determined efforts from my dear wife.

I have quite a stock of NOS parts for one of these. A VF750FD was on my to restore list and I had a couple but I realised with 4 bikes before them I would not be getting to them within 6-8 years, so I sold them both and just have all the parts.

Some of the parts are;

NOS seat

NOS ducktail RWB

NOS front fairing RWB

NOS windscreen

NOS left and right mufflers

NOS carb bank

the list goes on for a long time - pm me with an email and I will send you a proper list.

PM Sent, awesome offer thanks.

If you are looking for other bits and pieces, I have good experience with www.cmsnl.com - they have some parts still in stock, and send very fast.

For the Rubbers, I have the best experience with Bridgestone BT45 - I have them on my VF myself, and they are really great :)

And I have a source for the mufflers: There are 2 companies making aftermarket mufflers for the VF, that look close to the original: Marving, and Sito. both can be found on ebay. (And I think, both are pretty much the same, altough the Marving part seems to have a better finish)

Link to 2 of the ebay - offers (and no, I have nothing to do with the company, that sells the mufflers)
Marving:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MARVING-MASTER-Auspuff-Silencers-Honda-VF-750-F-F2-83-85-RC15-NEW-/261442976550

Sito:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SITO-Auspuff-Silencers-Honda-VF-750-F-F2-83-85-RC15-NEW/261227057725?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117130753%26meid%3D171363feb7b24c918f82017f2c85623c%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140117130753%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261442976550&rt=nc

good luck with your rebuild.

If you are looking for other bits and pieces, I have good experience with www.cmsnl.com - they have some parts still in stock, and send very fast.

For the Rubbers, I have the best experience with Bridgestone BT45 - I have them on my VF myself, and they are really great :)

And I have a source for the mufflers: There are 2 companies making aftermarket mufflers for the VF, that look close to the original: Marving, and Sito. both can be found on ebay. (And I think, both are pretty much the same, altough the Marving part seems to have a better finish)

Link to 2 of the ebay - offers (and no, I have nothing to do with the company, that sells the mufflers)

Marving:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MARVING-MASTER-Auspuff-Silencers-Honda-VF-750-F-F2-83-85-RC15-NEW-/261442976550

Sito:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SITO-Auspuff-Silencers-Honda-VF-750-F-F2-83-85-RC15-NEW/261227057725?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117130753%26meid%3D171363feb7b24c918f82017f2c85623c%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140117130753%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261442976550&rt=nc

good luck with your rebuild.

You guys are awesome - thank you.

Archived