Testing The "touring" Part Of A Sport-Touring Bike?

raoufhakam

hey everyone,

so for me making the shift from a pure sport bike ('06 CBR600RR) to a supposedly sport-touring bike ('00 VFR800 Fi) was possibly about more comfort and/or potentially the "touring" part of its "sport-touring" name, right?

long story short, planning my first long trip on my VFR :cheerleader:

I've done a couple of one-day trips (200-700km) on my VFR since I bought it, but I'm thinking of a 2-3 day weekend trip that would be around 2,000km (1,200 mi) over the next weekend mostly slab highway with few backroads here and there.

-about me: this is not gonna be my first long trip, I've done a few long trips on my last bike ('04 Suzuki V-Strom 650) one was 4,000km (2,500mi) in 6 days. have done 14 hours 1,100 km (650 mi) a day before, so long distances are not big issue for me as long as the bike is reasonably comfortable.

-about my bike: '00 VFR800 dark green (the -5 hp color) with 60,000km (38,000mi) on it. bone-stock with exception to a Delkevic slip-on, fleaBay double-bubble screen and tank bra, for the trip I got a Honda tank bag, oxford soft saddle-bags and wired auxiliary outlet.

i'm just looking for feedback or opinion from those who have done long trips on a stock VFR, I know the seating position and lean angle is not as aggressive as a CBR, but not as upright as a Goldwing either, but does it stand for the touring part of its sport-touring designation? :comp13:

• Member Contributer

I have a 2k with 3/4 inch spacer under the stock handle bars, 2 Brothers can, Corbin seat. 400+ miles a day no problem

I have a 2k with 3/4 inch spacer under the stock handle bars, 2 Brothers can, Corbin seat. 400+ miles a day no problem

well, I don't have 3/4" spacer or a corbin seat :pissed:

since you have slabs in between.... get this NOW , pretty cheap for cruise control and you can thank me after coming back :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321445877802?lpid=82

well, considering its Wednesday morning and i'm planning to leave Friday afternoon after work, no chance i'd get that on time, i'll check with local stores. however, I've got one of these which hopefully might do any good:

1image.jpg

i like go cruise better as you can completely take hands of and let it rest for couple of minutes. Am not saying ride for hours using this, but that few minutes def helps. And its safe once you get used to it. Check local harley shops too, pretty sure they have one :D

• Member Contributer

If you have the stock seat, maybe find a sheepskin cover? The throttle rocker or throttle lock is also great if you have to do some slabbing.

Having done several 500+ mile a day trips, 800 miles a day trips and a 1000+ mile day I would say the best thing I ever bought are heated grips. That and a heated Jacket for riding when its is cold or dark (early or late) mean the difference between being safe and awake and dangerously cold.

Oxford heated grips slip on in place of your current grips and are a pretty easy install. You can find them in a number of dealerships...if you don't have time to order them, maybe call a place on your route and arrange to buy or have them installed?

Matt

• Member Contributer

Just over 85,000 km on my '04. Recently completed 5300 'miles' crossing the US from NC, back home to British Columbia.

My .02¢ worth for stuff that made it great:

1/ throttle lock

2/ radar detector, GPS/MP3 all running through bluetooth

3/ Sargent Seat

4/ Hardbags

5/ Trunk to hold rain gear, tools & chain lube - stays on the bike and only used when needed

My bike (other than the seat) is stock for rider position and comfort. I'm 6'2 and had back surgery many years ago.

Made it home comfortable and happy.

One other tidbit is my learned packing 1,2,3,4's - 3,2,1

1 pair socks, 2 pair shorts, 3 pair underwear, 4 T shirts. Allows for 4 days off, riding then laundry

3 pair of (ride shorts/shirts/socks) for riding, 2 long sleeve shirts, 1 thermal under pants

Oxford heated grips slip on in place of your current grips and are a pretty easy install. You can find them in a number of dealerships...if you don't have time to order them, maybe call a place on your route and arrange to buy or have them installed?

I've had Oxford heated grips in my '04 V-Strom which I never really ended up using any time of the year, I just think wearing a thicker/heavier glove at night is better

Just over 85,000 km on my '04. Recently completed 5300 'miles' crossing the US from NC, back home to British Columbia.

My .02¢ worth for stuff that made it great:

1/ throttle lock

2/ radar detector, GPS/MP3 all running through bluetooth

3/ Sargent Seat

4/ Hardbags

5/ Trunk to hold rain gear, tools & chain lube - stays on the bike and only used when needed

Radar detectors are illegal here in Nova Scotia, though I saw everyone using them when I was in Vancouver in June, wish I bought one while I was there

probably gonna check on a local store to see if they have throttle lock, I think my oxford soft saddle bags will do it for this short trip, plus, there is no feasibly affordable or good looking hardbags for 5th gen anyway :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I did one long trip with a stock seat, and I just needed a few more breaks as I found that it created pressure points in my thighs. Since you are coming from a CBR, you probably have the core muscles to deal with the lean of a VFR without risers. I keep the weight of my touring stuff low in or forward and it improves the stability of the ride.

There is no doubt that seat upgrades improve the daily capacity for distance. Some of us use risers, or Heli-bars, and some of us don't. The same with lowered pegs. You will know after this trip what you need.

I usually do multiple 1200-1500 mile trips per year and daily distances from 300-500 miles. I try to stay fit by running and bicycling which makes these trips easier. Currently, I have Gen-Mar risers, a Rick Mayer seat, and Buell Ulysses footpegs. I use a duffle on the pillion area for extra storage for camping gear, or a smaller bag for extra gear when I expect climate change on longer trips such as going to the Black Hills. (See photo to the left.)

• Member Contributer

I have been sport touring on my 5th gen for well over ten years. The only must have to allow for repetitive long distance days was a new saddle. I opted for a Sargent and it has been a charm since day one! I am still running the stock screen and bar/peg setup. After a few tours I added heated grips and gear to the inventory. I even pack the vest in the summer especially if a mountain loop is in the cards.

med_gallery_2144_5984_10579.jpg

• Member Contributer

I ran for 2 years with soft luggage - firm believer in making due with what you have till you can get what you want.

One tidbit I learned (the hard way), pack all your stuff inside the luggage, inside waterproof bags.

The camping compression bags work really well.

The Cortech ones I had held water quite well. Yes, HELD water. Plus the rain cover on the old tail bag exploded at 140 km/h, not even the duct tape helped.

Good thing they had a dryer at the hotel in Billings.

• Member Contributer

One advantage you have by NOT having handlebar risers is you'll be below the wind line. I was running the stock seat, pegs & windscreen for multiple long-distance trips without incident. Finally got a clip-on throttle lock similar to yours which was a 1+ for slabbing.

Once I set my new-for-me ride, I'll be adding a number of touring goodies, but very tour-able in stock (as long as your core is good).

• Member Contributer

If you have the stock seat I would recommend these http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Inrcool-Shorts-Medium/dp/B0091IUJP8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407963559&sr=8-3&keywords=pearl+izumi+shorts

and make sure you get the ones with the red pad inside not the cheaper yellow pads.

Stay hydrated and maybe check into an airhawk as well....http://www.jpcycles.com/product/801-776

plus, there is no feasibly affordable or good looking hardbags for 5th gen anyway :unsure:

I beg to differ. I can be seen below, touring on a 5th gen with a very handsome set of bags.

578150_4026495220495_2126816419_n.jpg

plus, there is no feasibly affordable or good looking hardbags for 5th gen anyway :unsure:

I beg to differ. I can be seen below, touring on a 5th gen with a very handsome set of bags.

wonder how u didn't up getting a ticket for that monkey covering up your license plate and you brake light? mind u it looks friggin cool :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

The number one mod on my last VFR that let me ride all over the country in comfort? A tall windscreen! I am anxiously awaiting a new one for my current VFR to arrive on my porch as we speak. (ok, we're not speaking but...if we were.) I'm heading out on a 4500 mile loop in 3 weeks and that is a MUST before I leave. Relief from the constant wind/debris/rain will buy you many, many miles on a long day or 14!

My trip with my VTX1800 buddy? ----> Denver area to Lake Itasca, MN to the headwaters of the Mississippi River and we're following the river all the way to Venice, Louisiana where it dumps into the Gulf of Mexico, then back home to Colorado.

The number one mod on my last VFR that let me ride all over the country in comfort? A tall windscreen! I am anxiously awaiting a new one for my current VFR to arrive on my porch as we speak. (ok, we're not speaking but...if we were.) I'm heading out on a 4500 mile loop in 3 weeks and that is a MUST before I leave. Relief from the constant wind/debris/rain will buy you many, many miles on a long day or 14!

My trip with my VTX1800 buddy? ----> Denver area to Lake Itasca, MN to the headwaters of the Mississippi River and we're following the river all the way to Venice, Louisiana where it dumps into the Gulf of Mexico, then back home to Colorado.

that's actually one thing i'm concerned about / considering. when i did my trip on the V-Strom, the stock windscreen has 3 or 4 adjustable position with a couple of bolts (10 bolts actually, but still adjustable within 5 mins or so) i had at the highest position which looks a bit obnoxious and makes it hot when riding in the city but i could cruise all day on the highway in literally any speed with my visor opened and not getting any wind/turbulance/ debris/ bugs or anything on my face

• Member Contributer

I find the stock VFR screen perfect ie no buffeting. I am 6 foot tall. Funny I have been through about 7 different combinations on my Wing trying to find the right balance.

Might want to definitely bring a R/R!

As for windscreens, I wish there was a way to try them all out, it seems like trial and error. I have a ZG Double Bubble, I am 5' 7" and it is noisy as hell (wind). MRA makes a clip on extension that you can use with most screens, not sure how well it works though

Ive done 800 mi in a day with stock seat and handlebars. I added a NEP throttle lock ( check for it in a cycle gear/ dealership) to help with the slab miles.

you will probably be sore as hell the end of the day but if I can do it 4months after breaking my back i figure most healthy people can.

p.s. stay hydrated!

• Member Contributer

I find the stock VFR screen perfect ie no buffeting. I am 6 foot tall. Funny I have been through about 7 different combinations on my Wing trying to find the right balance.

I am also 6'-0" and the 6th gen stock screen IS perfect for me as well but only during what I call "normal days". However, after 4 full days into a 2 week ride, I don't want the full blast on my upper torso - even if it is smooth. That extra bubble of calm air makes the following full days much more enjoyable. I also bought the "barn door" - biggest, tallest windscreen I could find for extended rides. It is so simple to swap them out and go back to the "cool n sleek" look of the stocker when I get back home.

I even re-installed the stock fender on the rear to keep the rain/road debris off of my tail light and trunk for long rides. You would be amazed at how much water and crap can get into the area under your seat near/on your tools etc. with the fender eliminator installed. I have the Competitionwerks fender elim. and while it looks cooler to have your plate tucked up between your cans that leaves several open holes that allow a surprising amount of unwanted stuff to wind up under your seat, not to mention constantly blasting your 6th gen tail light and most of my long distance rides find me on a fair stretch of gravel connecting old county roads/highways.

I can add the full fender, the taller windscreen, soft saddle bags, and my trunk in an easy 45 minutes. Removal and return to sport mode is just the same but a taller windscreen is my A-1 favorite touring addition.

• Member Contributer

The best after market item I've purchased is the MRA Vario touring screen. It has an added 2nd section of windshield. Buffeting is a thing of the past at it's flattest setting. I'm 5'11.

Archived