Testing The "touring" Part Of A Sport-Touring Bike?

raoufhakam

I always found there was a bit of turbulence right under my helmet which cause my head to move, even if I have a Zero Gravity double bubble screen. Last week-end I've done 700km and after maybe 500, I think about that hole under the windscreed. I've put some socks to block it and I really feel the difference. I'll try to find something nice to block it.

I just wanted to mention this since no one has. I think the biggest obstacle for long distance touring is comfort. But we often forget that it is not always about position or ergonomics. Here are some cheap things you can do no matter the bike you are on.

Compression shorts/Spandex - nothing fancy but also not something that will bunch and bind under your gear. Assuming that you are wearing motorcycle pants. Added bonus is that it keeps the boys from wandering and getting smooshed. My prefered type is made of wicking material. Squidgy swamp ass is no fun on the bike. Which is a nice segue to my next recommendation

Anti-Monkey Butt powder - Chafe no more! If you can't find it or prefer not to buy something with a red monkey ass on it, Gold Bond works well too. Feel free to use it in your boots too since it will absorb excess moisture there.

Stay Hydrated & Cool - a water bladder with a long straw is not that expensive and can be found at camping stores if there is no motorcycle gear store around. (mine was $15) Fill it with ice cubes and whatever water/gatorade will fit and keep it in your tankbag. You lose a lot of water on the bike and need to replace it. This way you can do it while on the bike instead. Sometimes our ego tells us we don't need to stop even though we know we should.

Now, as for a bike mod, low footpegs are a godsend. Either the Buell, Knight Designs, or BLS blocks help quite a bit.

Have fun on your trip!

• Member Contributer

I find the stock VFR screen perfect ie no buffeting. I am 6 foot tall. Funny I have been through about 7 different combinations on my Wing trying to find the right balance.

I am also 6'-0" and the 6th gen stock screen IS perfect for me as well but only during what I call "normal days". However, after 4 full days into a 2 week ride, I don't want the full blast on my upper torso - even if it is smooth. That extra bubble of calm air makes the following full days much more enjoyable. I also bought the "barn door" - biggest, tallest windscreen I could find for extended rides. It is so simple to swap them out and go back to the "cool n sleek" look of the stocker when I get back home.

I even re-installed the stock fender on the rear to keep the rain/road debris off of my tail light and trunk for long rides. ...............................

I can add the full fender, the taller windscreen, soft saddle bags, and my trunk in an easy 45 minutes. Removal and return to sport mode is just the same but a taller windscreen is my A-1 favorite touring addition.

Mailman these are good points and something I tried to get across on my last trip report. Most of the things we mentioned in response to the OP are based on our tour experiences. SOMETIMES it takes many days on the road to figure out what works and what helps for one guy does not necessarily work for the next. Even after ten years plus on the road I am still dialing in my craft as well as the associated crap that I bring along. I don't think I have ever returned from a tour without a to do list for the next.

I think what I am saying to the OP is .....Just do it! Go on tour and see where the weak points are and then mod your bike as appropriate (although the mod may not be the complete answer). A particular alteration may be great for the back roads on a weekend ride but lose its charm on a long wet tour. I guess my benchmark test is that when I return I hope that I am just tired overall but do not have a searing ache in one place ...... for me that was a PITA if you know what I mean. Once that problem(s) is resolved then you can fine tune the experience.

As regards windscreens, I have been lucky with the VFR but you know on my last tour on day eight when I was fighting a vicious headwind (and moving with alacrity) with a 108 temp reading. I began to wonder if things were not just right with my screen. Would a barn door be better????? There you go always learning something new on tour!

med_gallery_2144_7292_1959507.jpg

I broke down today and bought myself and the wife MRA Vario Touring screens, can't wait to get them. With my ZG Double Bubble it hits me around the chin, and I am not very tall at all. Mostly noise thats annoying not really wind pressure. If the Vario gets me 4" or more that will be perfect!

• Member Contributer

I've done about 20,000 km on my 6th gen this year with a Corbin seat and the rest stock. Longest day was 750 miles I believe. I recently bought a used MRA Vario Touring on eBay and am curious to see how it will be.

The stock windscreen is very well designed and the air is exceptionally smooth while still providing protection. I wanted to raise the air flow up above my chin (where stock flows) and this screen should, in theory

Sport touring on these Viffs is best done on paved roads. That aside, I've rode mine on trips as long as from southwestern Ontario to central BC. To the Yukon, and back from BC. Being retired, a typical "touring trip" for me is upwards of 3 weeks of travel. So the bikes are good for it.

The personal ergonomics vary with every body...my choices to make the long tour enjoyable (on 500+ mile days) are:

BLS 1" lowering brackets for footpegs

Throttlemeister throttle locker

Zero Gravity Tall windscreen (I loose wind buffet in my face but the screen shape brings wind buffet to my body)

ADV Monster 3500 (total) lumens LED lamps ..each mounted to the upper side of the mirror mounts and each aimed to pick up roadside dangers...deer, moose wreckage etc.

Honda OEM (Givi) harbags

Urban Survivor expandable tank bag (goes from medium large to holy fckn large) comes with a waterproof clear lense over cover and when fully loaded makes for a comfy head rest when dropping down behind the screen.

Add a couple of sturdy camstraps to secure the camping gear etc (beats bungies or ropes)

12V socket to charge cells, or run heated riding gear or Radar Detector

and and for electrical peace of mind, a digital or analog volt meter to monitor charging system.

Joe Rocket pants with waterproof (haha no such thing really at 60mph in a downpour) riding pant liners. They do exceptionally well at keeping me warm whn its cold out. Waterproof over-jacket (same shite) and Alpinstar waterproof (not) riding boots.

post-24317-0-98939400-1408047365.jpg

I Have done my challenge of doing 1000 miles in one day! On stock seat and stock handlebars. My biggest problem was sore butt!! I did some research and for my next long trip I will get these two items:

-http://techspec-usa.com/magento/index.php/motorcycles/honda/vfr-800.html

With these you can grab your tank with your legs and relax your lower back and grip pressure. It makes more variations of body posture/position available for you while you ride. You will need to stand up on your peg also as a variation for few minutes also! Plus in the twistys you will love the grab in hard accel/decel/leaning.

-http://www.longeride.com or

-http://www.motorcyclecushions.net/c-7-airhawk-motorcycle-cushions.aspx?&pagesize=999999&gclid=CMfYvLjQk8ACFYVDMgodf2gAAw

I would buy one of these instead of an aftermarket seat. Probably the most must have!!

Techspec makes an awesome product! I had the C3 knee tank protection and it was soft enough to feel it when you squeeze. At first, I had the C3 tank protector where my stomach meets the tank, but it does not do well with anything scratching it though. In one weekend on the Dragon, I cut it in half from back and forth (left/right) motion and my jacket snagging it. I spoke to Techspec and they sent me a Snakeskin one to replace it free! That was more durable and harder rubber.

I cannot recommend them enough!

I have the tech spec tank grips. I will probably make a thread about this, but I have a small gripe with them. The pads do not match the lines of the 02+ VFR800. There are three basic geometries the pad needs to match: The top line, bottom line and front line.

The pad top and bottom lines is parallel, as is the lines on the 02+ VFR800. If you match the pad to those lines, the front line of the tank is off......pretty drastically. If you match the front line of the pad, then the top and bottom lines are off!

This is not the case with all the pads shown on their web site. With the VFR800, they show an earlier model, which apparently has different tank lines. I will post up a pic so you can see what I am talking about. It's also possible I got the wrong pads. That is, I ordered the VFR800 pads, but I noticed the bag they came in was marked for a Triumph 675, and then had a sticker over it that said the correct VFR part #

You can see I have aligned the pad just about perfect with the top and bottom lines of the tank, but the front line is so far off, that if I tried to match it, it would look pretty awful. So I matched the top and bottom lines as I think this looks best.

photo

If anyone has an 02+ with different result please post. I plan to contact TechSpec to see if perhaps I was just shipped the wrong part.

• Member Contributer

Both lites on...with bikes headlites on also

Another with lites off but no close ups on file

Suitcase, what does the actual mount look like? thanks!

I'd like to know as well. I've got my aux lights mounted to the forks and it's not ideal for lighting up the road properly

Two photos this time ....fresh today ..inspite of the rain.

The left side mounted ADV light on the heavey duty stainless steel bracket...recommended over the standard bracket...which I used on my KLR (AKA PaintShaker). Its worth the slight additional cost over the standard service mounting bracket. The VFR mirror pivot socket head bolt is plenty long enuf to accommodate the bracket. If I was really ambitious, I could have drilled a hole thro' the cowling to feed the wiring more discreetly....but WTF I didn't...

The left side again...the fairing serves as a nice ergo correct, location for the LED lites on/off switch...its a water proof marine application rocker style switch..I added the white dots to indicate forward=on, as the lites are wired directly and independent of the ignition switch....ya I know...when its dark, I don't need the little dots to indicate the lites are on...but thanx for the thoughts.

The other "port" on the left fairing is the 12V socket for powering accessories. It too is directly wired to the battery, and fused (inline), and is also a marine grade water proof piece. Being fused, I tapped into that power supply for the lites.

I chose to angle/aim the more powerful of the two lites, the left side unit to the far side of the road ditch and the slightly less (lumens unit) right side lite into the right side of the road ditch. That way I have a fighting chance of spotting wild things during night time rides.

And for the truly observant..the small rectangular black framed device in foto 1 is the voltmeter...currently unplugged. Its wired with a 2 pint trailer wiring connector, one +/- end straight off the battery and the other end tucked under the seat/fairing going to the meter. When I choose, I simply connect the 2 connector plugs and get ongoing state of battery (charge) and when unplugged, I use the same style of 2 pin trailer connector to hook up my battery tender jr.

post-24317-0-66143700-1408227610.jpg

post-24317-0-26986600-1408227637.jpg

• Member Contributer

My new Zero Gravity ST windscreen arrived yesterday and ten minutes later I was on the road testing it out. The instructions had a bunch of extra steps that I still don''t understand why they included them. All you need is a phillip's head screwdriver. Four screws off and only two go back on. THAT'S IT! You're done. Tons more protection from the new screen and I stand by my choice of a screen as my number one mod to my last VFR for touring.

mailman, what is your height and can you speak a bit about what screen you had before, where the wind hit before, and where the wind hits now? how about noise level, can you hear the hum of the V4 now? Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Signal, I'm 6'-0" and had the stock screen on my 6th gen. Airflow was smooth for me before, I was just looking for more protection from wind/rain/bugs/road debris and the Givi ST offers that without any additional buffeting I've heard other members describe with other screens. I felt the wind hitting me mid-chest with the stocker and this raises that up to helmet level. I don't feel any ADDITIONAL pressure or noise with the Givi, this one just takes away the blast from my neck/chest area.

I had also removed my stock screen on my 4th gen and replaced it with a taller screen from National Cycle (which I don't they still make) and that worked wonders for me on multi-day rides.

For some reason, I can't capture just the photo but here is the link for the Givi and there is a thumb nail of the 3 screens. The shortest is a stock replacement and the tallest is the ST that I purchased. I would estimate a 3 inch gain over stock with the ST.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/zero-gravity-sport-touring-windscreen-honda-vfr800-2002-2010

Archived